Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my add w1 catch can today and I had a couple of questions for those already running one. How often does it need to be emptied during the summer and during the winter? Any problems unscrewing the reservoir to empty it during the winter? Are there any chances of the hoses freezing during the winter? I put them under the fuel rail, against the valve cover. Also, where would be the most appropriate to get rid of the gunk when I have to empty my can out?

·
Registered
496 Posts
vent that **** to atmosphere & never worry about any of the questions you asked ever again :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
How often does it need to be emptied during the summer and during the winter?
More often in the colder months that during summer. This is due to condensation. Maybe 1-2 months during summer and every 2-3 weeks during winter. It'll be different with everyone depending or your driving. I'd check it every week to start and adjust accordingly.

Any problems unscrewing the reservoir to empty it during the winter?
No. Snug is all you need. If you lubricate the threads with a drop of oil it'll spin easier.

Are there any chances of the hoses freezing during the winter?
I have heard of this but never experienced it personally.

Also, where would be the most appropriate to get rid of the gunk when I have to empty my can out?
The proper way would be to recycle it with used motor oil. I typically just dump it in the trash like on top of a used paper towel or rag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How often does it need to be emptied during the summer and during the winter?
More often in the colder months that during summer. This is due to condensation. Maybe 1-2 months during summer and every 2-3 weeks during winter. It'll be different with everyone depending or your driving. I'd check it every week to start and adjust accordingly.

Any problems unscrewing the reservoir to empty it during the winter?
No. Snug is all you need. If you lubricate the threads with a drop of oil it'll spin easier.

Are there any chances of the hoses freezing during the winter?
I have heard of this but never experienced it personally.

Also, where would be the most appropriate to get rid of the gunk when I have to empty my can out?
The proper way would be to recycle it with used motor oil. I typically just dump it in the trash like on top of a used paper towel or rag.
It's a shame that they don't include all of this in the description when you buy them considering how expensive they are and how common those questions probably are. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
87 Posts
vent that **** to atmosphere & never worry about any of the questions you asked ever again :)
If you're turbo yes but not necessary for n/a.
The vta or closed loop is an option for n/a but because there's no boost in an n/a vta isn't needed. Crankcase pressures never get that high in an n/a.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vta or closed loop is an option for n/a but because there's no boost in an n/a vta isn't needed. Crankcase pressures never get that high in an n/a.
I've heard not so great things about venting to atmosphere too. Something about how it can make a mess in your engine bay.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've heard not so great things about venting to atmosphere too. Something about how it can make a mess in your engine bay.
You only vent onthe fresh air side, not the pcv side as that needs to remain a closed loop. The pcv side would have a catch can.

Also on the fresh air side you would still run a catch can to collect the vaporous oily stuff before it goes to the outside air.

Even on the addition of a vented to air fitting coming off of the valve cover you'd want to run an air/ oil separator or another catch can. This would be for the turbo car.
You'll never have to worry about the mess but may still have the wonderful smells of it. 😂

·
Registered
496 Posts
oops thought he was boosted! oops wrong forum thought I was on vt.org lol yes you are right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts