Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Thankfully it looks like the sunshade kept most of the glass from the interior! What a mess! What year is this? I have a 2012 and it was "tested". I'm only "liking" this because I'm glad you shared this, because I definitely do not like that it happened!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Just got a mailer today from Hyundai that extends the warranty on the sunroof for any Hyundai with a panoramic sunroof for model years 2010-2016. It extends the warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles. They ask you to keep the mailer in your glove box along with your owners manual.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just got a mailer today from Hyundai that extends the warranty on the sunroof for any Hyundai with a panoramic sunroof for model years 2010-2016. It extends the warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles. They ask you to keep the mailer in your glove box along with your owners manual.
hmm have received that yet but it would only be good for another 2k.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
It is pretty incredible that I've only driven 10,000 miles since I retired 6 years ago. I happen to live in a neighborhood where everything I need is usually within 4 miles if not by just walking! But what really sucks is that I'm paying about 75 cents a mile for car insurance! Far more than I pay for fuel! There ought to be a law......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw several reports of the panoramic sunroof shattering spontaneously so a dealer should replace it without charge since they're known to be defective like that.
(I'd post a link to the recall but this site says I haven't made enough posts to provide links)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I chickened out of buying one with the sunroof because they may be nice but if this happened on the highway, I'd probably drive into another car in panic.
I'm glad nobody was hurt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year, I bought a new 2019 turbo ultimate specifically so I could have the MT with the panoramic sunroof. Are there any reports of this new model having the same problem?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
..... so a dealer should replace it without charge since they're known to be defective like that.
Initially, some dealerships were refusing to while others bit the bullet and made the replacement. This is why reporting things like this to NHTSA makes such a big difference. The claims came in and eventually Hyundai acquiesced. In Hyundai's defense, when you have a new car it's hard to know what is a problem and what isn't! However, exploding sunroofs weren't the only Hyundai models experiencing this nor was Hyundai the only brand experiencing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last year, I bought a new 2019 turbo ultimate specifically so I could have the MT with the panoramic sunroof. Are there any reports of this new model having the same problem?
I have only heard of 2012-2014, but apparently the problem goes all the way up to 2016.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just got a pamphlet in the mail about it today. It says 10 years / 120,000 miles for all owners, not just the original owner. Mine is already over 120,000 so it doesn't help me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are there any reports of this new model having the same problem?
No, but that model is too new for reports to come in. Hyundai has denied any defective glass manufacturing so it is difficult to say if they have improved the new glass.
A 2019 car from Nissan is the only report of a new sunroof shattering I could find. It seems that the defective ones shatter after at least 3 years on average.
I have only heard of 2012-2014, but apparently the problem goes all the way up to 2016.
Again, reports of this happening on a car less than 3 years old seem to be particularly uncommon.The most recent reports are showing 2016 as the newest cars shattering once the outliers are excluded

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
It seems that the defective ones shatter after at least 3 years on average.......

.......Again, reports of this happening on a car less than 3 years old seem to be particularly uncommon.
There are threads in the forum from the summer of 2012 when folks only had the Veloster for a year or less regarding the glass issue. The first recall for the sunroof was in December 2012 when the car was just out for 15 or 16 months then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts