Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2014 r spec used in April with 80k miles on it. Ever since the start I’ve had problems shifting into second gear, now am having problems downshifting into second gear, it sometimes won’t even go in it at all, so I need to shift into third. Is anyone else having this problem or can help?

NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/16
The car will now downshift in second, it seems as if I was going too fast for it to go in, because once I roll in neutral for a few seconds and my speed drops, it will go into 2nd around 10mph vs when I was trying to go in it around 13-15mph. Transmission fluid check, car checked again, test driven by many mechanics, transmission not dropped , but everything checked out well. They gave me the advice to try to go slower (in which wasn’t working when I was trying) but randomly decided to work a few days ago. Thank you all for your help and advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a transmission problem. Take it to your mechanic.

Did a mechanic look at the car before uou bought it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a transmission problem. Take it to your mechanic.

Did a mechanic look at the car before uou bought it?
Yes, and everything checked out well. I took it to the shop for an oil change around two months ago and had them drive it just to be sure, they said it was okay. Yesterday I was driving with my moms friend whom is a master mechanic and he told me something is wrong, he was unable to figure out out since the gear isn’t grinding either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don't buy used cars that old with that many miles.
Its a repair waiting to happen.
So what do you recommend? It's a 2014 with 80K miles. Should every vehicle older than 5 years be junked?

Reactions: brithebxddie

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
983 Posts
Yes, and everything checked out well. I took it to the shop for an oil change around two months ago and had them drive it just to be sure, they said it was okay. Yesterday I was driving with my moms friend whom is a master mechanic and he told me something is wrong, he was unable to figure out out since the gear isn’t grinding either.
Check under the hood below and under the battery tray for the two shifter cable end links.
Have a close look at them and see if the bushings in the linkage is in good shape.
Next have someone go through the gears while parked and have a look at the linkage for binding and proper actuation of the gear shift lever of each end link. Clutch needs to be used as if you were actually shifting.

If all is good under the hood the next step is to remove the center console and have a look at the shifter assembly. There you'll see the two shifter cables going into the engine compartment.
Look for any binding of the cable or cables and make sure they're actuating in a smooth non binding manner.
Also make sure that the gearshift lever falls in the center of neutral when it's released. If it falls anywhere else to the left or the right there are adjustments that can be made at each of the cables if needed to get it straight.

If all looks good at the shifter assembly then look for leaks under the car from the tranny.
Other than that you may have to take it a service center for internal diagnosis. The synchronizer for second gear maybe Worn out from the previous owner and need replacing. Expensive fix. 😞
Good luck. Hope it's something easy to fix. 👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check under the hood below and under the battery tray for the two shifter cable end links.
Have a close look at them and see if the bushings in the linkage is in good shape.
Next have someone go through the gears while parked and have a look at the linkage for binding and proper actuation of the gear shift lever of each end link. Clutch needs to be used as if you were actually shifting.

If all is good under the hood the next step is to remove the center console and have a look at the shifter assembly. There you'll see the two shifter cables going into the engine compartment.
Look for any binding of the cable or cables and make sure they're actuating in a smooth non binding manner.
Also make sure that the gearshift lever falls in the center of neutral when it's released. If it falls anywhere else to the left or the right there are adjustments that can be made at each of the cables if needed to get it straight.

If all looks good at the shifter assembly then look for leaks under the car from the tranny.
Other than that you may have to take it a service center for internal diagnosis. The synchronizer for second gear maybe Worn out from the previous owner and need replacing. Expensive fix. 😞
That might be more than he can handle.:D some us don't do mechanics

·
Registered
983 Posts
That might be more than he can handle.:D some us don't do mechanics
I offer advice from experience and even if the op has little to no mechanical inclination the information presented can be used by a mechanic to hopefully find a solution.
Hey I tried. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉👍

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,756 Posts
also when was the last time the trans fluid was changed? it has a 60k interval. you can also bleed the slave cylinder...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you. We popped the hood and looked, it was fine, we didn’t look at the shifter assembly, I will see if I can do that today and if not my moms friend will be by to do it tomorrow. I’m really hoping it’s not the synchronizer for the second gear. Do you have any idea how much that could be?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thank you. We popped the hood and looked, it was fine, we didn’t look at the shifter assembly, I will see if I can do that today and if not my moms friend will be by to do it tomorrow. I’m really hoping it’s not the synchronizer for the second gear. Do you have any idea how much that could be?
Most shops charge by the hour and dropping the transmission and opening it up to look will take a while.
Before you do that please change the fluid first. Old fluid can have an effect on how the synchronizer engage.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most shops charge by the hour and dropping the transmission and opening it up to look will take a while.
Before you do that please change the fluid first. Old fluid can have an effect on how the synchronizer engage.
Good luck.
The old fluid can only be effecting the second gear? Just want to clarify, thank you so much for your help :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
The old fluid can only be effecting the second gear? Just want to clarify, thank you so much for your help :)
Second gear synchronizer is one of the most used out of all of them so it takes a good amount of abuse.
Old lubrication loses its anti-wear properties and lubricity with age so may be having an effect on that synchro.
It won't hurt to change fluid and it's a reasonable try.
Let us know how it goes. 👍

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello. I have a 2012 none turbo manual trans Veloster hitting 97,000miles. I can tell you that going from first to 2nd has always been rough and seems to slowly get worse. Sometimes it feels like a full second of hesitation after shifting into 2nd and letting out the clutch while giving gas to go.

I had Hyundai a few years back replace a cv axle and they forgot to had back the trans fluid and nearly ruined my car. Then they denied it. I only went because i needed it fixed pronto for a new job i had to get to. I later went back a d checked and found only 1/2 of the trans fluid.

It only takes 2 quarts and its not hard to do at all.

I believe the problems come from the motor/trans mounts getting old. Seems like i feel more shake and vivration. This may be part of your problem.

If the clutch has been abused by the previous owner it may also be the problem.

There are all sorts of additives and tricks dealers use on used cars to make them feel fine just to sell it.

I would drain the trans fluid and measure it. Be sure it had the right amount and that its not burnt up. I put Royal Purple of the proper type in and it made a huge difference after the dealer gave it back all fubar. I discovered later they had an apprentice work on my car and also confused it with another customer.

I knew I should have done the work myself but i haf to have a hub bearing and cv axle replaced and i didn't have the tools at the time.

Now I do.

Anyways. Check those things. The fluid and motor mounts, look for warn ones. It may be the trans and the motor are moving around too much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a '16 R Spec - I had an issue going into reverse the whole time I had it. Sometimes it just refused to shift all the way in and engage. I found if I popped it in first then back in reverse without even depressing the clutch it would go in. I did once have an issue while driving where I couldn't shift to 3rd. It felt almost like it was blocked (my 5 speed truck has a blocker from 5 to reverse -it felt like that). I dropped to 2nd and then never had it do that again. I think that was after I had changed the fluid, but I don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a '16 R Spec - I had an issue going into reverse the whole time I had it. Sometimes it just refused to shift all the way in and engage. I found if I popped it in first then back in reverse without even depressing the clutch it would go in. I did once have an issue while driving where I couldn't shift to 3rd. It felt almost like it was blocked (my 5 speed truck has a blocker from 5 to reverse -it felt like that). I dropped to 2nd and then never had it do that again. I think that was after I had changed the fluid, but I don't remember for sure.
New update posted. Sometimes mine won’t go into reverse if I don’t put it in first before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello. I have a 2012 none turbo manual trans Veloster hitting 97,000miles. I can tell you that going from first to 2nd has always been rough and seems to slowly get worse. Sometimes it feels like a full second of hesitation after shifting into 2nd and letting out the clutch while giving gas to go.

I had Hyundai a few years back replace a cv axle and they forgot to had back the trans fluid and nearly ruined my car. Then they denied it. I only went because i needed it fixed pronto for a new job i had to get to. I later went back a d checked and found only 1/2 of the trans fluid.

It only takes 2 quarts and its not hard to do at all.

I believe the problems come from the motor/trans mounts getting old. Seems like i feel more shake and vivration. This may be part of your problem.

If the clutch has been abused by the previous owner it may also be the problem.

There are all sorts of additives and tricks dealers use on used cars to make them feel fine just to sell it.

I would drain the trans fluid and measure it. Be sure it had the right amount and that its not burnt up. I put Royal Purple of the proper type in and it made a huge difference after the dealer gave it back all fubar. I discovered later they had an apprentice work on my car and also confused it with another customer.

I knew I should have done the work myself but i haf to have a hub bearing and cv axle replaced and i didn't have the tools at the time.

Now I do.

Anyways. Check those things. The fluid and motor mounts, look for warn ones. It may be the trans and the motor are moving around too much.
New update posted. Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Second gear synchronizer is one of the most used out of all of them so it takes a good amount of abuse.
Old lubrication loses its anti-wear properties and lubricity with age so may be having an effect on that synchro.
It won't hurt to change fluid and it's a reasonable try.
Let us know how it goes. 👍
Posted a new update. Thank you so much for your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts