Veloster Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m driving a 2013 with about 87k miles on it...my clock went wonky Jan2020 and just tonight, the screen went black. I used the reset button and both the clock and the screen are working again...thanks to all the Veloster friends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do have the same issue, Radio screen completely black with no response at all. I tried the reset button and still not working. The symptoms showed up as soon I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. I also tried disconnecting the negative terminal for 3 mins and pushing the power button of the radio for 5 Secs and didn't work. I checked all the fuses inside the car and outside by the battery and all are OK.
Any other recommendations?
Really appreciated!!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,828 Posts
i would try pulling both terminals for a fair amount of time... only the radio is affected, not the lighter plugs or usb power?

·
Registered
2017 Boston Red Value Edition
8 Posts
Had a very similar problem.

Head unit screen went blank. Touchscreen, radio still work, just seems display quit. Strange.

Cause? Took it to a dealer to have an ECM update, wasn't working when picked it up, but dealer denies any responsibility. "These things happen." No warranty.

Tried reset button (up to 30 sec, multiple times. Checked fuses. Removed positive battery connect for 30 mins.

It did come back the next day, but then quit again and display hasn't worked since.

Loose connection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a very similar problem.

Head unit screen went blank. Touchscreen, radio still work, just seems display quit. Strange.

Cause? Took it to a dealer to have an ECM update, wasn't working when picked it up, but dealer denies any responsibility. "These things happen." No warranty.

Tried reset button (up to 30 sec, multiple times. Checked fuses. Removed positive battery connect for 30 mins.

It did come back the next day, but then quit again and display hasn't worked since.

Loose connection?
So the screen did come back for a few days, so I cancelled my order to get a replacement at the dealer. Several days later the screen went black with some vertical and/or horizontal lines on the screen.

At this point do I remove the unit, looking for obvious issues, buy a replacement? It seems that the unit is the issue, but when it works, it works perfectly. Touchscreen works, but not useful when screen display is out. No backup camera display of course, no maps. Bummer. Dealer wasn't helpful in resolving the issue other than suggesting replacement.

Is there some known fix or is a replacement unit the only solution?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Since you've done the front panel reset, and removed power and the issue hasn't been resolved, about the only thing left at this point is to remove the unit, pop the cover off and try reseating the display connectors. You mentioned lines through the display, so this might be the reason. Not really hard to do. I did mine 2 years ago (I dismantled to clean the display) but didn't take any pictures sadly. There is one, and possibly 2, long thin ribbon style connectors that might be worth doing. There is a plastic cover on the connector that you pop up (similar to connectors inside a laptop), and the connector should release, then simply reposition the connector and push down the plastic cover again. Easier with smaller hands.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you've done the front panel reset, and removed power and the issue hasn't been resolved, about the only thing left at this point is to remove the unit, pop the cover off and try reseating the display connectors. You mentioned lines through the display, so this might be the reason. Not really hard to do. I did mine 2 years ago (I dismantled to clean the display) but didn't take any pictures sadly. There is one, and possibly 2, long thin ribbon style connectors that might be worth doing. There is a plastic cover on the connector that you pop up (similar to connectors inside a laptop), and the connector should release, then simply reposition the connector and push down the plastic cover again. Easier with smaller hands.

Good luck!
Thanks. We'll try that. What tools do you recommend for removal? I haven't done it, but am comfortable with doing it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Use a plastic pry tool to get the V shaped fascia off. If you look closely, there are 2 slots (1 each side) near the bottom of the V. Be careful because its easy to damage the dash when removing the fascia. The fascia will be tight, so will need a strong pull to remove. That's the hardest part. The rest of the removal is simply philips screws

21 - 30 of 30 Posts