Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1500 miles on my Veloster and have loved every one of them. Yesterday I did have a bit of a scare...

I did about a 45 mile drive listening to Pandora through my Android phone all the way, stopped for lunch, started the car, stared pandora back up and got it playing, headed towards the exit of the parking lot and all went quiet. I looked over and the screen was black.

I pressed the volume button down and it beeped but no sound, no screen activity... I opened the fuse box only to be foiled for lack of a fuse puller. I drove to the nearest autoparts store (luckily through a tunnel) and saw that the screen was not off just black. When I got to the autoparts store I thought that there might be a puller under the hood, sure enough it's there. I yanked the multimedia fuse, it looked fine, and put it back.. When I turned the key the screen hopped back to life..

I would assume that the OS locked up, does anyone know of a better way to reset the "computer" and/or see an event log or something that led up to the lockup? The thought of doing another 45 miles without the "bells and whistles" was quite disturbing.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
As of right now there is no known way to do a soft reset on the system, aside from pulling the fuse. If it does not respond to bringing up the test menu then it is likely frozen. The other thing you can try is turning off the bluetooth on your phone and making sure anything USB is unplugged and see if it responds to that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure did touch the screen.. :) I held down the setup button for a few seconds as well.. Nothing..

I also turned off Bluetooth on my phone and unplugged the USB cable.. I figured I could turn off the car for a few minutes and let it do it's thing but I had places to go.... :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Okay, just wanted to make sure. It almost sounded like the car went, "You want the display off? Okay!" and touching it will turn it back on. Just trying to eliminate all possibilities. :D

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
This may be a stupid question but...

Did you try the reset button? I've got tech package and the manual for the navi system shows a reset hole to the left of the CD eject button. On page 18 of the manual it says "Press with thin object to reset the unit when it does not operate normally".

Mind you, this is from looking at the manual, not the actual head unit. I'll try to remember to have a look at the head unit in the AM.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That's windows CE for you. Good thing Bill Gates didn't design cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Did you try the reset button? I've got tech package and the manual for the navi system shows a reset hole to the left of the CD eject button. On page 18 of the manual it says "Press with thin object to reset the unit when it does not operate normally".

Mind you, this is from looking at the manual, not the actual head unit. I'll try to remember to have a look at the head unit in the AM.
I will give that a go today and report back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's windows CE for you. Good thing Bill Gates didn't design cars.
here's the joke:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating, "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they painted new lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT," but then you would have to buy more seats.
6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but it would only run on five percent of the roads.
7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "general protect ion fault" warning light.
8. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?" before deploying.
9. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the antenna.
10. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.
11. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
12. You'd have to press the "start" button to turn the engine off.

Reactions: VA-V

·
Registered
178 Posts

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! This just happened to me, and because of this posting, the fix was the easiest ever.... Paper Mate pen and push.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at about 53,000 miles and this morning my screen was black when the car started. It was black after my car warmed up on my way to work and still black when I tried turning off my car and turning it on again. The audio was still playing and I could adjust the volume from the steering wheel and when I press the volume knob the audio stopped, as if the radio was off as it should. I will try resetting with that reset button near the CD eject button after work. But I was wondering if this is a similar behavior?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm at about 53,000 miles and this morning my screen was black when the car started. It was black after my car warmed up on my way to work and still black when I tried turning off my car and turning it on again. The audio was still playing and I could adjust the volume from the steering wheel and when I press the volume knob the audio stopped, as if the radio was off as it should. I will try resetting with that reset button near the CD eject button after work. But I was wondering if this is a similar behavior?
It might not be as simple as that but let us know. My clock drifts on mine and I have heard that the reset should help that too. Haven't tried yet as I have it parked for the winter. It would be nice to have a list of issues that the reset button has been known to remedy.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Occasionally, this happens with my wife's 2011 Tucson. What I've found is, if you start the car and then quickly shift into reverse (screen shows the backup camera) sometimes the screen will go black and stay that way. Turning the car off and back on doesn't reset it. It appears that only a significant time off (a couple minutes) will allow the screen to work again. I've gotten in the habit of not shifting into reverse until the Hyundai welcome screen comes on and then goes away, displaying the audit controls. Not sure why this is but it appears that the audio system gets "stuck" if you go into backup camera display before the system fully boots up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You’re the man or woman. Immediate fix ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts