Veloster Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So just for some background, I got my 2015 VT April 31st of this year. Orange, has all of the options and had 49xxx when I bought it. At roughly 51300 now and have had my fair share of problems for less than two months of ownership. Got a misfire two weeks after buying it, didn’t drive it until we got some new plugs and a new ignition coil for it. It fixed the problem, but idle seemed different from the first startup after the changes. Almost exactly two weeks after that, another misfire happens. First time it was on cylinder four and the last time it was on cylinder three.

This time, I got all four ignition coils, which are Delphi’s and change all of them when they come in. Fixed the problem but idle shake consists. That was May 3rd. I live in Missouri, and it’s been raining nonstop for the past week and have definitely noticed a difference in how the car pulls and idles now with the increased temp and humidity. Before the past week, the idle shake was really only noticeable if the air was on, but now, whether the air is completely off or AC is on I feel it. It does it no matter what. I have a video of the engine bay and how much it shakes with the AC on and off. I have put on a K&N Typhoon intake and also a GFB bov in, which I installed a week after the first misfire was fixed.

Another thing I noticed recently was the intake noise-it’s more like if you have pressurized air and blow a piece of paper back and fourth instead of a constant flow. Only happens in higher rpms, around 4.5k or so. I could also get a video of this to better describe/show it.

One more thing I thought I should include is that it is a one owner car and it has had no accidents and maintenance was all done on time from what I could see and match up with the manual.

I apologize for the book, it’s just that I have had terrible luck with cars and went out of my price range hoping this car could last me for atleast a couple years. Thank you for your time!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,476 Posts
what plugs (make and numbers) did you put in and what gap.

were they oem coils, or on amazon?

the intake noise is normal with an intake. the rubber stock stuff does a great job of muffling the sounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny you should mention the noise...I have a Veloster 2015 VT I purchased about 2 yrs ago...yeah I had a crackling noise (or like leaves or paper moving back and forth), I could not figure out what it was...So I had my mechanic who use to work for NTB...now he has his own business, he works on domestic and foreign cars...He drove it and listened to the noise, and he stated that to him, it sounded like it was the boiling water in the radiater due to pressure...water evaporating due to the design of the car....because of the location of the radiator to reservoir....
I trust his diagnosis, because he's a reputable mechanic and he's cared for all my previous vehicles to the point that I was able to re-sale them for more than what they were worth. And, every since I've had this car, he has been the only mechanic that I will allow to look at/routine maintenance/or work on it other than NTB where he use to work...my Veloster has not given me any issues...so that's what I have to go on.... and I'm grateful for that
Of course, I can't say what's going on with yours, I hate that you are having so many issues with it...Unfortunately, since I purhased the vehicle I have read a lot of post and I find that in most cases, most people that own one, something is going on...and you either love it or you don't...I think the difference with this vehicle than most, is that we have a forum to discuss our concerns.
For me, my initial concerns was the suspension, the difficultie with latching my seatbelt and trying to see out the rear windows because of the location of the spoiler....but, on a positive note...people are always stopping me about my vehicle, or asking me what it is, or complimenting me about it...I've owned plenty of vehicles. I've never been addressed or noticed so much in a vehicle before until I purchased this one. It's crazy.
I hope you get all your issues figured out so you can start to enjoy yours... I really do...because it can be a fun car to drive and ride in when you are not having a lot of problems with it....I wish you the best...

·
Registered
176 Posts
...Unfortunately, since I purhased the vehicle I have read a lot of post and I find that in most cases, most people that own one, something is going on...
I think that this statement has an inherent bias that most people don't go to forums to talk about how well their car is going, and if you consider that this forum seems to have less than 50 actively posting members, I don't think it's a fair representation of the reliability of our cars.

Take a look at VW forums or Corvette forums, and you'll find you could assume the same for those cars as well.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
759 Posts
I think that this statement has an inherent bias that most people don't go to forums to talk about how well their car is going, and if you consider that this forum seems to have less than 50 actively posting members, I don't think it's a fair representation of the reliability of our cars.

Take a look at VW forums or Corvette forums, and you'll find you could assume the same for those cars as well.
I love my car and it's never failed me or had problems. 🙌😎
Matter of fact that's pretty much every car I've owned. 🙌😂😁
The common denominator to all this is me. I'm the one that keeps them fun and reliable. 🤷🏼‍♂️😇
That may have a lot to do with it. 😁

·
Registered
176 Posts
My previous 2 cars (2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 1.4l turbo 6M and 2009 Saturn Astra XE 5M) were problematic, and had nothing to do with the driver or maintenance. This Veloster not only is my first car without any issues (among all of mine and my family's), but also sold me to Korean auto market for their reliability.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Get used to dark oil. Our GDI engines are notorious for making molasses colored oil.

I never had any oil filling on a plug before, and this usually screams broken head gasket, or a leaking piston ring. Keep an eye on that cylinder, because it could get worse with time.
For sure I will. I’ve never seen it before either, so kinda made me wonder. When we changed the plugs there wasn’t any oil on that second cylinder so a bit odd. I’ll keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Funny you should mention the noise...I have a Veloster 2015 VT I purchased about 2 yrs ago...yeah I had a crackling noise (or like leaves or paper moving back and forth), I could not figure out what it was...So I had my mechanic who use to work for NTB...now he has his own business, he works on domestic and foreign cars...He drove it and listened to the noise, and he stated that to him, it sounded like it was the boiling water in the radiater due to pressure...water evaporating due to the design of the car....because of the location of the radiator to reservoir....
I trust his diagnosis, because he's a reputable mechanic and he's cared for all my previous vehicles to the point that I was able to re-sale them for more than what they were worth. And, every since I've had this car, he has been the only mechanic that I will allow to look at/routine maintenance/or work on it other than NTB where he use to work...my Veloster has not given me any issues...so that's what I have to go on.... and I'm grateful for that
Of course, I can't say what's going on with yours, I hate that you are having so many issues with it...Unfortunately, since I purhased the vehicle I have read a lot of post and I find that in most cases, most people that own one, something is going on...and you either love it or you don't...I think the difference with this vehicle than most, is that we have a forum to discuss our concerns.
For me, my initial concerns was the suspension, the difficultie with latching my seatbelt and trying to see out the rear windows because of the location of the spoiler....but, on a positive note...people are always stopping me about my vehicle, or asking me what it is, or complimenting me about it...I've owned plenty of vehicles. I've never been addressed or noticed so much in a vehicle before until I purchased this one. It's crazy.
I hope you get all your issues figured out so you can start to enjoy yours... I really do...because it can be a fun car to drive and ride in when you are not having a lot of problems with it....I wish you the best...
It is a weird noise I can’t figure out but that could make sense if that was it. I’m not overly concerned about the noise but I will get a clip of it when I can, just not sure how well the phone will pick it up. It has been a joy owning this car though, and I agree. I have gotten tons of comments on the car and it has definitely been the most enjoyable car that I have owned, in nearly every aspect. The problems that I’ve been having aren’t anything major which is nice and almost feels like it makes me closer with the car, as I’ve done a good amount more than I’ve ever done in an engine bay in this car with the bov and intake. Hoping to keep that up and learn more and more!

·
Registered
176 Posts
these cars, if you aren't dealing with the electronics, are actually pretty simple and forgiving to work on. I've taken on several different jobs that at the beginning I was stressed, thinking if I can't finish I'm stranded with a broken down car... And everything has worked out for the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hey, it's just ,my opinion, don't take it personal, everyone has a opinion...that's why it's called a forum...I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings ok...I was just expressing myself to the guy having issues with his vehicle. Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol no hurt feelings at all, sometimes people just lose perspective of certain things like this, so it was more for the benefit of giving people back a little confidence in their cars, more than anything! Good day to you as well, happy motoring!

Reactions: misnblu
21 - 31 of 31 Posts