Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just for some background, I got my 2015 VT April 31st of this year. Orange, has all of the options and had 49xxx when I bought it. At roughly 51300 now and have had my fair share of problems for less than two months of ownership. Got a misfire two weeks after buying it, didn’t drive it until we got some new plugs and a new ignition coil for it. It fixed the problem, but idle seemed different from the first startup after the changes. Almost exactly two weeks after that, another misfire happens. First time it was on cylinder four and the last time it was on cylinder three.

This time, I got all four ignition coils, which are Delphi’s and change all of them when they come in. Fixed the problem but idle shake consists. That was May 3rd. I live in Missouri, and it’s been raining nonstop for the past week and have definitely noticed a difference in how the car pulls and idles now with the increased temp and humidity. Before the past week, the idle shake was really only noticeable if the air was on, but now, whether the air is completely off or AC is on I feel it. It does it no matter what. I have a video of the engine bay and how much it shakes with the AC on and off. I have put on a K&N Typhoon intake and also a GFB bov in, which I installed a week after the first misfire was fixed.

Another thing I noticed recently was the intake noise-it’s more like if you have pressurized air and blow a piece of paper back and fourth instead of a constant flow. Only happens in higher rpms, around 4.5k or so. I could also get a video of this to better describe/show it.

One more thing I thought I should include is that it is a one owner car and it has had no accidents and maintenance was all done on time from what I could see and match up with the manual.

I apologize for the book, it’s just that I have had terrible luck with cars and went out of my price range hoping this car could last me for atleast a couple years. Thank you for your time!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
What plugs and gap

Did you buy oem coils?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
What these guys said. 👍
OEM is the only way to go on coils and plugs.
Plug gap is critical and should be .028 gapped even if they're supposed to be pre-gapped.
Goid luck and don't lose hope. Youve got a great car that just needs a little attention. 👍

·
Registered
179 Posts
Something that I would do too, if you see any oil fouling or a lot of carbon buildup on the plugs when you take them out, is run 1/3 of a can of seafoam into the air intake vacuum hose... Disconnect it from the PCV valve, and put your seafoam in a small yogurt container, and let your I take hose sip that stuff. Once you start seeing white smoke out of the exhaust, turn off the car, left it sit for 20 or so minutes, and then go drive it until no more smoke. Disclaimer : your whole neighborhood will hate you, it makes a really dense and lingering white smoke cloud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What plugs and gap

Did you buy oem coils?
They’re Bosch plugs and ‘pregapped,’ my friends and I started to check the gap but never did, once I get back into town I will check it out and look at the gaps. The coils are Delphi’s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What these guys said. 👍
OEM is the only way to go on coils and plugs.
Plug gap is critical and should be .028 gapped even if they're supposed to be pre-gapped.
Goid luck and don't lose hope. Youve got a great car that just needs a little attention. 👍
Thank you, I appreciate it! I’ve been loving it but worried with how it’s been early on. I’ll pull out the plugs and check the gap and I was considering getting some NGK ones, as I have Bosch and heard from one guy that I should only get NGK for this car. I have Delphi coils on it right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the help from you guys, I will let you guys know how the plugs look when I check them out Monday. Also, do you think I should get oem coils? It’s just a shame because I spent 200$ on them, but if it’s what will help my car run the best I’ll do it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I really appreciate the help from you guys, I will let you guys know how the plugs look when I check them out Monday. Also, do you think I should get oem coils? It’s just a shame because I spent 200$ on them, but if it’s what will help my car run the best I’ll do it.
OEM are specific for our cars. There really are no aftermarket that will work as good as stock.
I have seen an individual using the MSD coils on his VT but don't know how well they'll hold up etc. 🤷🏼‍♂️
www.hyundaipartsdeal.com has some good pricing if you're willing to order online.
I just spent $278 on some OEM parts for my ride because in some cases stock is best. Even for my motorcycle I order Honda OEM bike parts because I know they'll work and fit right the first time.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress. 👍🤙

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OEM are specific for our cars. There really are no aftermarket that will work as good as stock.
I have seen an individual using the MSD coils on his VT but don't know how well they'll hold up etc. 🤷🏼‍♂️
www.hyundaipartsdeal.com has some good pricing if you're willing to order online.
I just spent $278 on some OEM parts for my ride because in some cases stock is best. Even for my motorcycle I order Honda OEM bike parts because I know they'll work and fit right the first time.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress. 👍🤙
Awesome, I’ll check that site out as I may order some new coils and plugs depending on how these boschs look and if I can’t fix the idle. A tune is one of my plans for the future but I’m not sure if I will ever really get around to it due to having to send in my ecu and such but might get the plugs needed for that just in case. I’ll keep you guys updated!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
Get us the plug spec and the gap, sounds like a crap plug for the car. They should be gapped to .028

·
Registered
179 Posts
I changed my plugs about 75000km ago. I put NGK plugs, and even pregapped, they needed adjusting. Make sure you use iridium plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I checked all of the plugs and each one was off by atleast .004, so I got all of those to .028. Just went on a little drive and honestly felt better. Still has a bit of a shake, but not nearly as bad. With the AC on, it still shakes a pretty decent amount but with the other changes I think that may just be the car. Do you guys notice that as well with your velosters? Sitting in my driveway though, after the drive and with the ac on it felt pretty smooth. There was some carbon buildup but not very much, the plug in the second cylinder did have a tad bit of oil on it though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
So I checked all of the plugs and each one was off by atleast .004, so I got all of those to .028. Just went on a little drive and honestly felt better. Still has a bit of a shake, but not nearly as bad. With the AC on, it still shakes a pretty decent amount but with the other changes I think that may just be the car. Do you guys notice that as well with your velosters? Sitting in my driveway though, after the drive and with the ac on it felt pretty smooth. There was some carbon buildup but not very much, the plug in the second cylinder did have a tad bit of oil on it though.
Do you ever rev the engine at times to redline?
Most don't and wonder why they're having so many issues.
Ever see cars in front of you get in the gas hard to redline and all this black smoke comes out of the exhaust?
That's because they put out around all day never loading the engine. It's kind of akin to an athlete who is lean and mean and doesn't blink an eye when it gets tough and the fat guy that sits around watching rev and eating pizza that has to stop to take a break when going up a flight of stairs.
Far guy is constantly having health issues whereas the fit guy is healthy because he trains and loads his body to be able to work.

Same analogy with a car. Lugging an engine does it no good.
Revving and constant work to the motor yields more trouble free miles. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hope I haven't offended any fat guys in any way. 😎

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing for sure, my car has zero buildup in the cylinders loll.... 5500-6k (1st thru 4th) rpm at least once in every commute, getting on the highway.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey OP, we are talking oil consumption.... Does yours drink oil at all? Like Misnblu, mine never consumed any oil at all. It stays at the full mark from one oil change to the next.

One thing we didnt discuss any further was the fluttering noise in the intake... A video would be helpful

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey OP, we are talking oil consumption.... Does yours drink oil at all? Like Misnblu, mine never consumed any oil at all. It stays at the full mark from one oil change to the next.

One thing we didnt discuss any further was the fluttering noise in the intake... A video would be helpful
No, I didn’t mention oil. It’s about time to change the oil though, the dealership changed it before I got it but I want to do it soon. It’s still about 3/4, but it is getting a tad darker. But it’s not burning it by any means. There was slight buildup on the plugs, that is what I was talking about. And a bit of oil on the plug in the second cylinder. It does weirdly make that noise still, I can try to get a video of it soon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Get used to dark oil. Our GDI engines are notorious for making molasses colored oil.

I never had any oil filling on a plug before, and this usually screams broken head gasket, or a leaking piston ring. Keep an eye on that cylinder, because it could get worse with time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Reactions: misnblu
1 - 20 of 31 Posts