Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting so lmk if I'm breaking any rules. I have a 2013 NAV 6spd w/85k and seem to have spun a rod bearing (engine makes a deep tick, strongest at low throttle positions and mid RPMs so I figure its piston play instead of lifter tick). I just swapped the oil and found some metal shavings, and I'm not in the best financial spot so wanna see what options are.

To my questions:
  • Is it possible to remove the oil pump and replace the rod bearings without removing the engine? $30 for bearings seems a lot more enticing than $200 for a rebuild kit on an engine thats seemingly knackered, and I don't have a hoist or a lift.
  • If the engine is toasted, can a G4FJ with accompanying transaxle swap in with relative ease or are there more substantial differences in exhaust, engine mounts, accessories, and management to consider? I don't have all the precision instruments to do a rebuild and I figure a machine shop would need to get involved on account of the shavings, so a swap might not be much more costly and the turbo engines seem more readily available
  • Has anybody done any other swaps on these? I'm sure the farther I stray from the GF4D the more I spend, but kinda curious anyways
  • Any chance this is covered under the recalls? Those seem to only concern kappa engines, but 85k seems awfully early to spin a bearing

·
weekend racer
7,683 Posts
if you caught it early and you're handy, chances are you can get away with just the rod bearings. although it really depends on the condition of the crank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you caught it early and you're handy, chances are you can get away with just the rod bearings. although it really depends on the condition of the crank.
Yeah I suspect I caught it too late and the journal is probably marred, was thinking of maybe sanding/polishing the journal from underneath and just running a more viscous oil to compensate for the higher clearance. worst case is a spent crank stays a spent crank, as long as I dont throw a rod trying it

·
weekend racer
7,683 Posts
Could certainly buy you some time. With older cars it’s cheaper to buy a block lol but not for these cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts