Veloster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 NAV manual
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a couple posts on here about my car driving funny, accelerating poorly etc. Unfortunately, what I feared has been confirmed. I need a new catalytic converter. Had it checked at the dealership yesterday.

That said, I was quoted at having to pay a little over $1800 for this repair, and I wanted to know if this is the normal cost for a repair like this. I expected it to be over $1k, but not close to $2k. Is that normal? Is there any cheaper alternatives? Have any of yall ever replaced a cat before? I've done a lot of maintenance on my car and my gfs car, so I feel like I may be able to do it myself, but I've often run into the issue of not being able to remove certain bolts from my car due to rust or the bolt just being super tight, so while I'd love to do this on my own and save money, I'm not totally confident that I'd be able to get it done myself, so I'm thinking I might just go ahead and let the pros do their thing.

What do you yall suggest would be the best thing to do here?

·
Administrator
4,677 Posts
You might try a muffler shop or Midas.

Years ago I had my converter go out on my Jeep, I bought one online and had a muffler shop install it. Altogether, it ran me about 250.00 bucks

I found the converter for 149.00

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you live in an area where auto inspections are a necessary evil, this would not be a possible fix. But if not, you could get a downpipe that eliminates the "cat" and with an extension for the oxygen sensor avoid illumination the dash light warning. There's more information regarding this modification if you do a search.

·
Registered
2013 NAV manual
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might try a muffler shop or Midas.

Years ago I had my converter go out on my Jeep, I bought one online and had a muffler shop install it. Altogether, it ran me about 250.00 bucks

I found the converter for 149.00
I might give something like that a try instead. Yeah I've seen the cat on ebay, Amazon, and RockAuto, and they're usually between $200-400. I know dealerships charge a lot for labor, but I felt like almost $2k was bit much.

Question tho. There's two cats on this car right? How do I know which one is malfunctioning? The dealership didn't tell me.

·
Registered
2013 NAV manual
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you live in an area where auto inspections are a necessary evil, this would not be a possible fix. But if not, you could get a downpipe that eliminates the "cat" and with an extension for the oxygen sensor avoid illumination the dash light warning. There's more information regarding this modification if you do a search.
Yeah I don't think this would pass inspection in my area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a problem with the cat on a Saturn. It made a rattling noise that I traced to the cat. I put the car on jack stands and disconnected the back end of the cat. I looked inside and found that the catalyst had disintegrated except for a grapefruit sized ball. I used a hacksaw blade to cut it up so I could extract it. You wouldn't think a hacksaw couldn't cut ceramic, but the ceramic was a very thin walled honeycomb. It worked fine after that. A more modern car would use the cat exit oxygen sensor to detect a non-functioning cat and turn on the CEL.

You didn't mention the CEL or fault codes. How do you know the cat is bad?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
looks busted :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts