Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had a nasty scrape on my drivers door on the pillar behind the window ( I'm guessing from my wedding ring or something). Anyway, it exposed the paint underneath, so I decided to remove the vinyl. I started on the drivers door where the scrape was, working my way up from the bottom. When you open the door the vinyl is wrapped around the back edge, and is fairly easy to begin to peel. The vinyl was MUCH easier to peel once warmed up, so let it set in the sun for a bit, or grab a heat gun and apply a little heat.

I finished the top of the door leading down to the mirror. Once you get the vinyl started, GO SLOW, and fold the vinyl back on itself and pull. I got this piece off in one chunk. Going too fast caused the vinyl to stretch and begin to break, and may be difficult to get started again if it breaks on you.

I then moved on to the passenger side front door. This side had been sitting in the shade, so it was MUCH more difficult, and came off in chunks, so please do yourself a favor and apply some heat.

This photo shows the difference between the paint and matte vinyl. Obviously the paint underneath on any other vehicle with match whatever color it is painted.... red, blue, etc.

I then finished up the back door, which I forgot to take pictures of. This is what I was left with when done. I was pretty frustrated when done, mostly due to my laziness not heating up the vinyl on the passenger side.

The vinyl left very little residue, and what was left simply rubbed off with your finger.
I hope this helps anybody else that was looking to do this mod. Sorry for the crummy pics also, it was pretty bright out, and I only had my Droid X to take pics with. Any questions just fire away guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sweet, Dude. I hate the black pillar posts on most cars and the black around the side windows. So, before I start peeling on my blue V., you found a perfectly presentable painted surface beneath on yours?

Also, do you know for a fact that the paint underneath on colored cars will match the car and not be black?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint beneath the vinyl on my car was the same black paint as the rest of the car, metallic flakes and all, with NO blemishes or light/ unpainted spots. As far as me knowing for a fact if you have blue paint underneath the vinyl, I can't guarantee it, but just by opening up the door and looking where the vinyl is wrapped around the door edges you should see blue there. It would be counter productive on Hyundai's part to paint the car blue, then the window frames black, and then wrap those in matte vinyl. In theory it should be blue like your car. Also somebody posted pics in the interior section on here with new leather seats, and the last pic shows a green V with the vinyl removed on the rear door and it is indeed green underneath. Take a look here about halfway down the page. http://www.veloster.org/forum/34-hyundai-veloster-interior/4843-got-seats-door-panels-done-way-more-come.html

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I find the differences in vinyl applied to the doors interesting. That must be due to whether the vehicle is a base, Style, or Tech pack I imagine. My Tech has super shiny vinyl where your vinyl is a matte finish. Nice work!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the differences in vinyl applied to the doors interesting. That must be due to whether the vehicle is a base, Style, or Tech pack I imagine. My Tech has super shiny vinyl where your vinyl is a matte finish. Nice work!
If my car was any color other than black, I would probably have left the vinyl. I think having a colored "stripe" between the windows, especially when tinted, looks odd and breaks up the flow of the car. At some point I plan on painting the rear door handle was well to keep the all black painted theme going. I have a base also, so I've been trying to find part numbers for the center section of the rear bumper, and lower front grille in the bumper in gloss black as well. Mine are just dull plastic.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I imagine if you contact your Hyundai dealer the parts people can get you the part numbers for those parts you desire in piano black.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks much. Mine is coming off Saturday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I imagine if you contact your Hyundai dealer the parts people can get you the part numbers for those parts you desire in piano black.
I tried that last week when I was in for the Bluelink software update. There were "No body part numbers available at this time", and that was after nearly 20 mins of him searching.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine has a factory defect where the top corner is open and the red shows thru. I haven't decided what to do yet. This just reminds me to take care of the sharp edge it left on drivers door.....ouch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had a nasty scrape on my drivers door on the pillar behind the window ( I'm guessing from my wedding ring or something). Anyway, it exposed the paint underneath, so I decided to remove the vinyl. I started on the drivers door where the scrape was, working my way up from the bottom. When you open the door the vinyl is wrapped around the back edge, and is fairly easy to begin to peel. The vinyl was MUCH easier to peel once warmed up, so let it set in the sun for a bit, or grab a heat gun and apply a little heat.

I finished the top of the door leading down to the mirror. Once you get the vinyl started, GO SLOW, and fold the vinyl back on itself and pull. I got this piece off in one chunk. Going too fast caused the vinyl to stretch and begin to break, and may be difficult to get started again if it breaks on you.

I then moved on to the passenger side front door. This side had been sitting in the shade, so it was MUCH more difficult, and came off in chunks, so please do yourself a favor and apply some heat.

This photo shows the difference between the paint and matte vinyl. Obviously the paint underneath on any other vehicle with match whatever color it is painted.... red, blue, etc.

I then finished up the back door, which I forgot to take pictures of. This is what I was left with when done. I was pretty frustrated when done, mostly due to my laziness not heating up the vinyl on the passenger side.

The vinyl left very little residue, and what was left simply rubbed off with your finger.
I hope this helps anybody else that was looking to do this mod. Sorry for the crummy pics also, it was pretty bright out, and I only had my Droid X to take pics with. Any questions just fire away guys. Thanks.

I have the matte paint underneath, does anyone know if it will get weather damage if I leave it exposed or will it be fine? I want to take the vinyl off because it has bubbles and began to peel and honestly would prefer not to wrap it again but i also don’t want it to fade or rust or anything like that.

·
weekend racer
7,555 Posts
it'll be about the same as the other paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wait, is this vinyl stock from the factory? Had a base model before that didn't have it, but the VT i own now has the vinyl on top, it 's starting to peel off, but i have it taped down to prevent it from doing so aha.

I thought the previous owner had wrapped the trim around the windows or something like that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 2012 has it, matt black from factory

1 - 15 of 15 Posts