Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made my mine on the Veloster turbo both the first and second gen just looking for the best deal of the 2. I just want to know anything i should look out for and how has the car been for you guys during your time of ownership.

·
Registered
56 Posts
'13 to '15 models are widely regarded as the least reliable of any of them. Many have experienced motor and other catastrophic failures around or even before the 100k mile mark on these models (more so the '13 and '14, but if I remember right it wasn't until 2016 when several improvements were made to improve reliability).

Which you should go for depends on your personal preferences, tastes, and goals for the vehicle. Later year first generation models offer a wide range of options for modifications and have had a large amount of research regarding performance. If you're looking to modify your vehicle much at all, a later ('16+) first gen would be your best bet. Being newer, modifications for the second gen vehicles will be slightly more expensive, less well tested, and can actually REDUCE performance without a ECU tune to take advantage of the extra performance.

If you're not looking to modify your vehicle all the much (or looking to modify it far later in your ownership, a couple years down the road), then there's really not any reason not to go for the second generation except for cost. Lots of folks sing the praises of the Veloster N, and there's no argument that an unmodified 2.0T makes more horses than an unmodified 1.6T. If you go for a new model you'll also have the advantage of drivetrain warranties and the like. You'll also have the advantage of updated electronics and drivetrain components.

-------------------------------------------------------

My personal experience with my 2013 VT has actually not been all that bad. Aside from a turbocharger replacement to fix an overboost issue that happened ever since I drove off the lot (covered under warranty but it took quite a few dealership visits to get to that point), most of the work I've had to do on it was either:

A. My fault, fixing an issue that I caused
B. Relatively simple issues with relatively simple fixes on components that are expected to fail over time

Essentially, I think if you take care of the vehicle, they last. That said, I FULLY expect the motor to disintegrate before I hit 150k miles (but hopefully it doesn't). The upside of so many people experiencing motor failures is that replacing these motors is not particularly unheard of. When my motor fails, I can swap over to a 2016+ 1.6T with <50k miles for hopefully less than $3k (if I do labor myself), which will then allow me to have a more reliable engine I can hopefully take at least another 100k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'13 to '15 models are widely regarded as the least reliable of any of them. Many have experienced motor and other catastrophic failures around or even before the 100k mile mark on these models (more so the '13 and '14, but if I remember right it wasn't until 2016 when several improvements were made to improve reliability).

Which you should go for depends on your personal preferences, tastes, and goals for the vehicle. Later year first generation models offer a wide range of options for modifications and have had a large amount of research regarding performance. If you're looking to modify your vehicle much at all, a later ('16+) first gen would be your best bet. Being newer, modifications for the second gen vehicles will be slightly more expensive, less well tested, and can actually REDUCE performance without a ECU tune to take advantage of the extra performance.

If you're not looking to modify your vehicle all the much (or looking to modify it far later in your ownership, a couple years down the road), then there's really not any reason not to go for the second generation except for cost. Lots of folks sing the praises of the Veloster N, and there's no argument that an unmodified 2.0T makes more horses than an unmodified 1.6T. If you go for a new model you'll also have the advantage of drivetrain warranties and the like. You'll also have the advantage of updated electronics and drivetrain components.

-------------------------------------------------------

My personal experience with my 2013 VT has actually not been all that bad. Aside from a turbocharger replacement to fix an overboost issue that happened ever since I drove off the lot (covered under warranty but it took quite a few dealership visits to get to that point), most of the work I've had to do on it was either:

A. My fault, fixing an issue that I caused
B. Relatively simple issues with relatively simple fixes on components that are expected to fail over time

Essentially, I think if you take care of the vehicle, they last. That said, I FULLY expect the motor to disintegrate before I hit 150k miles (but hopefully it doesn't). The upside of so many people experiencing motor failures is that replacing these motors is not particularly unheard of. When my motor fails, I can swap over to a 2016+ 1.6T with <50k miles for hopefully less than $3k (if I do labor myself), which will then allow me to have a more reliable engine I can hopefully take at least another 100k miles.
Thanks for the response yeah I do plan on do some mods a little later down the road. I plan on getting this car in manual, which it would be my first manual car so I'm gonna take sometime to learn before doing mods. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 2nd gen mainly for the infotainment. Thanks for the information much appreciated.

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
511 Posts
Go with a second gen, first gen had a lot of issues. The later (15-16?) Have a full engine recall on them. Skip the issues and buy lower mileage 2018+

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
Thanks for the response yeah I do plan on do some mods a little later down the road. I plan on getting this car in manual, which it would be my first manual car so I'm gonna take sometime to learn before doing mods. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 2nd gen mainly for the infotainment. Thanks for the information much appreciated.
First I want to congratulate you for picking a manual transmission car. 🙏🏽😍♥ You'll love the manual and it's so addicting to row the gears that you'll never go back to an autotragic tranny again. 👍🤙

Ok so here's my take on the VT or Veloster turbo.
2012-2013 had issues with their connecting rods turning to rubber when the boost goes up or you get it tuned.
2014-2017 models all had upgrades con rods so that never was an issue again.
Honestly reliability is what you make it. Preventative maintenace is key for a turbo car or any car for that matter so you'll have a good lineup of choices from the 2014-2017 model years. The Turbo R-Spec is what you want if you're going manual gearbox as there's heavier duty pieces in the gear box than the non R-Spec.

2nd gens are great for their new bodies and added safety features so see what your wallet tells you can afford.
Either way you'll love the car and there's sooo much that can be had with the car if you feel friskie.

Good luck with your decision and get that manual gear box. 👍🤞😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts