Veloster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Velotster 2012 DCT (non Turbo)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replace the rear shocks on my 2016 non Turbo, (just General maintenance)

The top mounting bolt (rear shock) will turn but will not come out or retighten,
It is not seized to the bushing. The bolt turns easily with the wrench
I have tried prying on the bolt head as I turn the wrench (manually and with impact wrench)
this is happening on both sides, I can not pull the bolts out or re tighten them.

Has anyone else had this issue in removing rear shocks?
Perhaps damaged threads?
Rust or debris blocking threads?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm not trying to sound critical here, but it seems you're in way over your head.
What you are dealing with is a nut that is jammed onto a stud that is fastened to the shock absorber.
The best way to deal with this is to grab hold of the top of the stud and see if you can back the nut off enough to allow a hack saw blade to get in there and cut the stud.
If you can't back off the nut you'll have to then just cut the nut as close to the mounting surface as you can and then pry the remaining bit off to release the shock absorber.
You do not want to damage the mounting surface of the auto body.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
They should turn out about 1/2 inch or so when loosening. After I pry from behind the nut head while loosening with a ratchet. Maybe try two people.

To be honest if it’s stripped it SHOULD come out.

·
Registered
2012 NAV, 2000 VMax
32 Posts
I had a similar problem (not sure if it is the same as yours). The nut on the inside is held in a "metal box", which in a perfect world is supposed to hold the nut from turning while you turn the bolt from the outside. With time and corrosion however the nut gets seized on the bolt and rounds out the inside of the "box" as you are trying to loosen the bolt, then the bolt/nut just turn together.
I used a chisel to cut away the "box" and then put a wrench directly on that (four sided) nut (with plenty of penetrating fluid) and got it out.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
that too... did not even think of that....

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
Velotster 2012 DCT (non Turbo)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thats exactly what happened here. I chiseled the housing off to get to the broken weld square-nut.
I also added a washer between the square-nuts and the subframe.

Incase anyone else lands in this spot:
It was intimidating having a piece break loose inside the subframe, but the work was relatively simple with a Dremel and/or hammer and chisel. The hardest part was maneuvering around the muffler or the passenger side shock mount, but it is doable.

Specs:
Top bolt, Bottom Flange-Nut (not pictured) -Both 19mm @ 87 ft.Ibs.
Square nut i measured at 24.8 mm (I used channel-lock pliers)

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
nice work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts