Veloster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I recently noticed my rear parking sensors don't notify me when something is in distance of my car when reversing. People can literally walk directly behind my car when I'm in reverse and it won't notify me at all. I looked around the forum and on Google in general but most suggestions were either making sure you have the option turned on or taking it to the dealership. I ensured the option is turned on inside my car (the light isn't illuminated) and I also made sure to turn it off and back on.

As I am typing this, I'm at the dealership getting my car serviced for the recall and I asked if they could take a look at it while I'm here and they told me it's a $150 diagnostic fee and wouldn't be able to get it looked at today either. It's not that important to me right now to pay $150 to get it looked at so I figured I'd ask here.

The only thing I can think of is I did get my battery tested as I noticed my lights are dimming pretty bad at idle and the results were 77% battery life with 650 CCA rating and when tested, it was at 611 CCA. However, I don't know if that's tied in at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'd suggest to go ahead and get a new battery because it's at the end of it's useful life and there is no test really that can tell you what's with the battery except a stress test and none of the auto parts places do that test because they're not set up for that kind of test.

I find my proximity sensors are not very good when things are more distant than around a foot away, they aren't much good for anything in my estimation.

You should probably rely more on the rear camera to alert you when there is a pedestrian behind your car, and actually looking is probably the smartest way to insure against an accident and a big liability problem.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
The back up camera and the sensors kind of work together. I rarely turn my head when I back into my driveway but the sensors usually pick up things within two feet I'd guess. Palm tree fronds trigger the alert and then when I'm about two feet away from the house wall in the carport I'll get the alert. This is the same place in the back up cam where the yellow line meets surface/wall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was thinking there was a fuse for the backup sensors, could be bad. Might look in your owners manual to verify ( I don't have mine handy). I couldn't tell you directly as mine didn't come with them, but I did install the OEM camera (in the hatch, not the license plate light one) which is nice.

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd suggest to go ahead and get a new battery because it's at the end of it's useful life and there is no test really that can tell you what's with the battery except a stress test and none of the auto parts places do that test because they're not set up for that kind of test.

I find my proximity sensors are not very good when things are more distant than around a foot away, they aren't much good for anything in my estimation.

You should probably rely more on the rear camera to alert you when there is a pedestrian behind your car, and actually looking is probably the smartest way to insure against an accident and a big liability problem.
I replaced the battery yesterday and they still don't alert me. I don't heavily rely on them as of course it's dangerous to do so, but they have saved me from backing too far into a curb, grocery cart, or pedestrians who like to walk directly behind my car at the last second while Im reversing.

I was thinking there was a fuse for the backup sensors, could be bad. Might look in your owners manual to verify ( I don't have mine handy). I couldn't tell you directly as mine didn't come with them, but I did install the OEM camera (in the hatch, not the license plate light one) which is nice.
I'll take a look and see what it says. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts