Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 2015 VT and after a couple weeks of driving I started to hear a very noticeable clunking/ chirping sound coming from the rear driver side. I checked the rear seats to make sure they were secured, I checked the styrofoam holder in the trunk which is very secure, and I checked the hatch to make sure the bungs were out far enough to prevent the lid from clunking and the noise is still there. I jacked up the car and removed the wheel to diagnose the suspension and brakes, but I came up empty handed as everything looked to be perfectly fine. I even checked the bumper to see if it was rubbing, but it’s fine. It started with a squeak/ chirp sound and now it is a combination of a clunk and a chirp. What could it be??? Everything looks just fine, but I cannot figure it out. I bought the VT used with 42k miles on it and it drives great. The suspension feels great, so I don’t think it’s the strut. Any ideas? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
This is when I miss "Car Talk". You'd be the perfect guest as long as you had a good sense of humor. But you bought a Veloster, so I guess you qualify!

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
most likely wheel bearing or shock...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after all that and actually after your description, I'd think it's a wheel bearing going south.

Do you think a wheel bearing would clunk like that? I shut my hatch today with moderate force and I heard the chirp sound too so maybe it is my strut? But wtf is clunking??😂😭

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does it do it right after you go forward to reverse? Or reverse to forward? If so, likely the strut cartridge. Could be that anyway. Inspect the exhaust. A broken weld from the muffler/ exhaust to the little hanger tab will cause similar sounds. Make sure you tug on the the exhaust and look to see if the exhaust moves and not the little tab that is connected to the rubber exhaust hanger. Ihaveseen both of these. Wheel bearing will have a history of making a noise like tire tread that gets louder the faster you go, and louder over time. This is before you hear any clunks, so that puts it lower on the list. Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Exactly as @Tuckermaclain stated.
wheel bearings do t go clunk and chirp. 🤨😉
Exhaust needs to be checked as well as the rear shock.
On the shock check the rubber bushing to make sure it's not worn.
Worn shocks have been known to clunk and broken shocks have been know to chirp because the inner and outer tube are rubbing.
Push the rear is the car on the corners up and down to rule out the springs and shocks.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts