Veloster Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Havent been here in a while, thought someone on here would be able to shed some light or advice on an issue that came up.

My veloster is about to hit 76k miles and i've taken care of it meticulously. Engine has been on full synthetic oil since i bought it, transmission has already had its fluid replaced at 60k miles and all the maintenance stuff done.

Now, heres my problem. When cruising around 1500-2000 RPMs at about 40-50 MPH and also when accelerating from a cruising speed theres a sort of rattle\tapping noise that comes from the front. I've isolated it to the transmission since when i put it in park or neutral there is no such noise and also when in manual mode its a bit easier to hear. Plus, everything inside the hood is tight as it should be even the heat shields. I've had the car in for a 'clunking' noise that ended up being the axles not being tight enough, so that was fixed. I' havent had many issues other than that or any CEL come on, so im lost in where else to look or specifically what to tell the dealer.

anyone else have had this issue? I've read somewhere that the gear changer assembly might be faulty, but then again could it also be a software issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey there. Check my other thread I posted about 2-3 weeks ago, if you get the noise in low rpm range while accelerating, especially on Eco mode, check idler pulley. I used to get this rattling/squealing noise everytime I would accelerate under medium throttle or especially going uphill. And after pulley replacement noise was gone

·
Registered
38 Posts
rattling/squealing noise every time I would accelerate under medium throttle or especially going uphill. And after pulley replacement noise was gone
seems like I have the same "sound" from engine area and thought it was coming from the transmission. it only occurs in light load at any speed. If it was Idler pulley, when you pulled the old pulley, did you see/free free-play side-to-side or/and bearing/metal dust?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the same issue with mine from 19k.. now has 79k and its far worst..
At any heavy load.. put on the ac and it rattles like crazy.. mine happens on all gears from 2000rpm and up when accelerating.. my car has been in and out of the dealership for this issue.. they've replaced the engine, fuel injectors, catalytic converter and nothing has fixed it.. now they say its a software patch that is needed..
they've basically have given me run around, refurbished my car.. and all under the direction of hyundai canada and head office..
This is now a known issue as they've said my car is not the only one..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had my car since November 2014. It has over 56000 kms on it. That metallic rattling noise under load didn't start until May 2015. I've also been to the dealer a few times with it. First they changed the tranny fluid, checked the exhaust. Nothing. Then another time they took apart the heat shield. Nothing.
They pretty much told me that it's a known issue with some of the other hyundais and that there's nothing wrong mechanically with my car and that I should basically get used to it.
Recently I went to another dealer and they can't or won't do anything about it either. Guess I have to call Huyndai Canada or go to another dealer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like its focused on the transmission, i say this because if you place the car in neutral or park and rev the engine there is no noise even with the AC on. Once you place it in gear then you hear it with the load on the transmission. To me it may be the gear actuator that seems to be either going out or in need of a reprogramming. So far i havent been able to get a straight answer either way so its still there rattling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Veloster Base, just hit 80K. Rattling noise when car is warm not during cold start & idle when cold. Car gets warmed up come to a stop & idle goes to 650 RPM and rattle begins. Sometimes turn on A/C and it draws more load and engine rattle gets worse. Sometimes turn on A/C brings Idle up to 1000RPM rattle goes away. When driving do not notice loss in performance or hear noises which all come when at a stop and the car and is warm. Also loud chunk noise when starting the car not a backfire but clunk.
Took car in for service 10/26/15 and everyone seems dumbfounded. Hyundai Mechanics called the Tech Line was told to change the transmission.
Dealer called me asked for permission to pull Tranny. Said it could be the Clutch system for the car and if it was it would not be covered under the standard warranty or my extended platinum warranty.
I have spent hours upon hours searching for an answer on here & google but not getting very far. 3500.00 for the clutch assembly is what I was quoted if that is the issue.
That ain't happening. ....F-That...... Comments? let em rip....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine only does this in park or at a stop when the car is warm and ideling @ 650, goes away after 800 RPM while in park or takeoff..... WTF????

2012 Veloster Base, just hit 80K. Rattling noise when car is warm not during cold start & idle when cold. Car gets warmed up come to a stop & idle goes to 650RPM and rattle begins. Sometimes turn on A/C and it draws more load and engine rattle gets worse. Sometimes turn on A/C brings Idle up to 1000RPM rattle goes away. When driving do not notice loss in performance or hear noises which all come when at a stop and the car and is warm. Also loud chunk noise when starting the car not a backfire but clunk.
Took car in for service 10/26/15 and everyone seems dumbfounded. Hyundai Mechanics called the Tech Line was told to change the transmission.
Dealer called me asked for permission to pull Tranny. Said it could be the Clutch system for the car and if it was it would not be covered under the standard warranty or my extended platinum warranty.
I have spent hours upon hours searching for an answer on here & google but not getting very far. 3500.00 for the clutch assembly is what I was quoted if that is the issue.
That ain't happening. ....F-That...... Comments? let em rip....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread. I have this exact same sound. "When cruising around 1500-2000 RPMs at about 40-50 MPH and also when accelerating from a cruising speed theres a sort of rattle\tapping noise that comes from the front." And also what acdeals187 was saying " if you get the noise in low rpm range while accelerating, especially on Eco mode".
Just wondering if anyone resolved this or determined the source?
VT Automatic 80K miles.
Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 2012 Veloster a few months ago - 80k+ miles. Stumbled upon this forum after I began to notice a tapping noise like many of you described - mainly when accelerating. Began filling the tank with premium gas last week and have not heard the tapping noise since.

Full disclosure -- I don't know **** about cars or car maintenance. I rely on forums like this and auto-savvy folks like all of you to educate myself. I doubt this won't resolve the tapping issue for many of you, but for the other dumbasses out there like myself who didn't realize they've been filling their tank with ****** fuel -- give it a shot. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If that be the case, I would say there is a problem with the knock sensor and I would replace it first off. I have no idea of the cost of a new knock sensor nor do I know where it is located on the engine. I just think that when you replace the gas you are using with a better grade (higher octane) of gas the only thing you are doing is reducing the chance of the engine knocking.

There is one other possibility that could be causing knocking from the engine and that would be carbon buildup inside the cylinder and on the top of the piston to a point when it is reducing the volume of the cylinder causing a rise in compression ratio exceeding oem specifications.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On my ol' Saturn there are a lot of things that can rattle under load around 1800 to 2000 rpm. Timing chain, and any pulleys on the serpentine belt routing. A quick check is to remove the serpentine belt and drive the car for a very short period before it overheats. If the noise goes away, the problem is something along the serpentine belt path (alternator, power steering pulley, water pump, air conditioning, etc). If the noise is still there, it's in the engine (timing chain, carbon buildup, etc)

Might be worth a try on the Veloster as well.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,769 Posts
getting the belt off is pretty easy getting it back on, is much easier with an extra set of hands to hold the belt around a pulley or two.

Reactions: Ricketts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can confirm running 93 fixes it, it's the great GDI problem. You're getting engine knock from the carbon buildup.

Additional info: Adding octane boost also fixes it. However, running 89 or REC 90 (non-ethanol gas 90 octane) isn't enough. Go 93 or go home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NOT TO REVIVE THE THREAD
but I’m having this problem
Driving a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Base

it seems sometimes I hear this other times I don’t. But it’s always at a certain speed, rpms.
Was a fix ever found for this issue?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts