Veloster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTRODUCTION

When I first purchased my Veloster Turbo back in 2013, one of the most annoying aspects was the manual shift knob. It utilised a proprietary reverse lock-out sleeve that made it impossible to install an aftermarket reverse lock-out compatible shift knob. Hyundai redesigned the shift knob for the 2014 and later year models.

Late 2015 So Cal Garage Works, a supplier of after-market parts for the Veloster, released a shift knob replacement targeted at the 2014 models. Even though this was not marketed as applicable for 2012 -2013, I thought that I would take the risk and order it.

I test fitted the kit on an OEM shift assembly as well as a short shift assembly (installed in my vehicle) supplied by Damn Fast DD (a.k.a. Tork Motorsports). In both cases the reverse lock-out functioned as intended.

I looked at various reverse lock-out compatible knobs from Momo, Sparco, TWM, Flossy and a few others. These designs were either too light and /or the design did not appeal to me. This left me slightly dejected as even though the shift knob on the So Cal Garage Works kit was slightly more appealing, it was still fairly light-weight (~ 125g v OEM at ~ 100g).

Why would you want a weighted shift knob?

Simple physics. See it wasn’t a useless subject in school.

A heavy shift knob carries with it more kinetic energy and has greater momentum than a lighter shift knob travelling at the same velocity. When shifting, the weighted shift knob is travelling between gears at a certain velocity and carries with it greater kinetic energy and momentum. The additional kinetic energy of the heavy shift knob helps it engage the next gear smoother and with less effort from the driver.

Then one day, by pure chance, I stumbled across a product by Raceseng.

For those of you who don’t know, Raceseng is a US based company that designs and manufactures all their products in-house at their Pennsylvania facility.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ORDERING

On accessing the website, you are given the choice of ordering by Product or Make. Selecting “Make” allows you to access the automotive brands offered. Once chosen, highlight your desired model. In this case I selected Hyundai Veloster. If you select by “Product”, under the “Interior” section select “Shift Knobs” and then click on your required brand.

These are marketed as fitting the 2014 and later models. For those of us that have the 2012 /13 models, as stated previously, changing the reverse lock-out is a requirement to install these shift knobs.

Raceseng offers two stocked products for the Veloster NAV/Turbo. These are the Ashiko and the Slammer. In addition to beaded and brushed finishes, four painted finishes with various colour selections are available.

Raceseng also offer a Custom Shop allowing you to further customise your selected product. Be aware that custom shop products have a lead time of 5 weeks. Products that are suited to the Veloster are: Ashiko, Creature, Orbature, and Signature. As the Veloster has a reverse lock-out you will need to ensure that you chose “Big Bore” option for Veloster compatible shift knobs and you select the “Hyundai Veloster Adapter”.

Placing the order is very straightforward, just follow the on-screen prompts. You will be advised if your selection is in-stock. Raceseng provided me with regular updates as to my order status.

Pricing on the stocked items is reasonable. Prices range from $US 100 for a beaded / brushed finish up to $US 160 for a metallic finish with engraving. Pricing on Custom Shop items will be up to $US 200 + depending on model selected and options chosen. The bonus for US customers is free shipping for all orders over $US 199. Those of us outside the USA will be charged shipping with the cost dependant on the service offered.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UNPACKING

Product arrived in the cardboard box. The shift knob was enclosed in a plastic sleeve surrounded by foam. Included were the shift knob adapter, card with a link to installation instructions and the extra cost optional thermal bag.

The Ashiko is listed on the Raceseng website as weighing 675 g. I tested this on three different scales and each one gave me a reading of 658 g for the shift knob and 681 g for the shift knob and adapter.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
INSTALLATION

Once you have removed your old shift knob (and replaced the lock-out sleeve for the MY 2012/13 Veloster) Installation is straightforward.

Required items (L — R) are: shift knob adapter (supplied with shift knob), adjustable / 15mm wrench, 4mm Allen wrench, Loctite 243 (Blue).

I won’t go through the process involved as Raceseng provide a PDF with step-by-step instructions on their website but I will comment on their thread adapter.

When installing a shift knob with engraved shift-pattern or other engraving, orientation is important. In the past, I have wasted much time and cursed quite a bit, ok a heck of a lot, trying to get the orientation j-u-s-t right.

The Raceseng adapter makes the task so much easier! Using the 4mm Allen wrench: Screw down the flat-head screw into the adapter; Install your shift knob taking note of how many counter-clockwise degrees the shift gate pattern is off; Unscrew the shift knob; Using the 4mm Allen wrench, turn the flat head screw counter-clockwise the same amount the shift gate pattern is off by. Repeat these steps if fine-tuning is required.

Through good management (more realistically just plain luck :), I had my shift knob correctly oriented by the third attempt.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CONCLUSION

I am extremely happy with the purchase and Installation of the Raceseng Ashiko Big Bore. It is not the cheapest but it is well priced for the level of quality and the fact that it is made in the USA. The ability to further customise the shift-knob of your choice (additional cost) to match your tastes is an added bonus.

The product is excellent quality, Raceseng customer service is very good and the Ashiko has improved the shift feel on my short-shifter. It has also evened out (not eliminated but I would never have expected that) the notchy 2-3 and 4-5 shift inherent in my short-shifter.

Is there anything that could be improved? If I am going to be nit-picky, then yes.

First: I would like to see an option for a different colour on the shift engraving. I know you could paint it yourself, but it would be great if you could have this done by Raceseng.

Second: I would appreciate a Delrin cover that leaves the shift-gate exposed. This would also act as an insulator

Finally: I would really, really, really like Raceseng to provide R Locks for the Veloster. Hey Raceseng, if you are reading this, I have a diagram with dimensions, maybe you could see if your 86 / BRZ / FRS R Locks will work. And I’m more than happy to test your prototype :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts