Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your car before you bought the Veloster? And why did you decide on the Veloster as your next car?

For me this is a major leap from VW/Audi to my first Hyundai, but no regrets so far!

I was driving an Audi A6 right before the turbos blew and was going to cost 10k to fix.
Knowing that I do not want the high cost of a German car anymore I began my hunt for my next car.
Went with the V because of the 40mpg and the warranty. The lack of power sucks and the ride quality isn't near a Jetta or an A6 (but they didn't have a touch screen :D)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I was driving a Maybach (it was getting old). But seriously, a 2009 Nissan Versa hatchback SL. And I suspect in Houston your gas mileage isn't going to be anywhere near 40! Likewise, my Veloster is more like my old Versa, I drive all city -- no highway, and I'm lucky to get 26 mpg. I just had the "update" to the tranny software and I am expecting the mpg's to go even more south. Guess which car I would rather be seen in? LOL MPG's aren't everything! Hyundai sort of oversells the MPG's -- "SORT OF".

·
Registered
99 Posts
I traded a great '11 Sonata SE for my V. I just wanted a new car and really wanted another Hyundai, based on my experience with the Sonata. I saw the V, fell in love with it and bought one. I only have about 1,000 miles on it and am totally satisfied with my choice so far. I've owned Vettes and Mustangs so I understand and like power too but, in todays economy, the V gets great gas mileage and is plenty fast enough and is still fun to drive. It does everything I need it to do.

Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last car was a Civic Hybrid which got a steady 34 mpg from tank to tank and 41 on long trips. But slow! (So he NA V doesn't seem too slow to me.) FWIW, the Ford Fusion Hybrid that I drive at work beats the Civic in every major category (ride, handling, acceleration, etc.) and also gets 34 mpg.

The ride with the 18's of the style package is little rough compared to what I was used to, but the new Civics that I test drove didn't seem to ride as nice as the hybrid and the handling of the V is well worth the trade off. All the telematics and other goodies in the V made the choice that much easier and without regret.

Good luck with your new V and the transition from Audi!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went from a 1998 toyota corolla and a 2007 ford ranger. The corolla was dying and I was getting sick of putting money and time into fixing it. Same with the ranger. I like working on vehicles but not all the time. I was liking the accent and that was almost what I bought but the day I was about to buy the accent I saw the v and bought it that day. Not exactly what I was looking for but it looks awesome and that's why I bought it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
union jack 2.jpg Mini cooper s 2002 all crank up still have it, reason 1 for the Veloster was the looks and needed a reliable car not hard on gas since I have a f150 to pull my toys. have around 1700 klm on the V if I had the choice to start again well it would go for a V for sure, the only reason I dint go for the turbo need to keep my license HI HI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Traded in my 2000 Lightning that got all of 12mpg. Obviously I traded up on gas mileage and wayyyyy down on power lol. But soon as I saw the electrolyte green V I knew I had to have it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
2008 Ford Taurus. Actually gave it to the wife, she hated it, so 3 days later traded it and her 1999 Chrysler Concorde in for a 2012 Sonata Turbo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol I am driving an A4, definitely not as quick, I have some performance mods on mine. But its going to be a whole lot cheaper. How many KMs did you have on it before the turbo went?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was going to trade in my 2008 Chevy HHR 2LT for my Veloster but couldn't in good conscience leave $2000.00+ on the table with the poor trade-in offers the dealers offer.
Bought the HHR mainly because we went down a car 14 months ago after the Northstar engine in my wife's Caddy Eldorado went kaboom. Rented an HHR for a week and liked it so much I went out and bought a used one. Nice car really, and it served it's purpose well as at the time I worked for a catering company and occasionaly used it for deliveries. Now I am back to being a machinist and am selling the HHR outright as soon as I get time to clean it up and get some decent photos of it so I can put an ad in Auto Trader.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I went from a 08 Infiniti G35S 6MT to 07 BMW 328xi 6MT which is now my weekend car. The V I use as a commuter car that will rack up 35K miles a year and hopefully it will last 3 to 4 years before I get something else or find a closer job and keep it for longer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII. Was gonna keep it forever, but I had originally got orders to Bahrain. So, I was gonna sell it, buy the wife a Nice SUV (she HATED my Evo) save up some greenbacks, then buy a new X when I returned. Car was on Cars.com for like a hours before it was sold for Blue Book (14,500). It was unmolested, except for the audio system. I then got the Almighty ORDMOD and was detailed to one of the new Littoral Combat Ships being stationed in San Diego. I have a place that I can stay at free of charge, its just 70 miles north of San Dog. So I needed a good economy car, that looked good and had all the bells and whistles. I was driving the Fed Sled to a school visit and I saw a Marathon Blue at the local dealership. Feel in love at that first sight. They didnt want to deal with me at sticker so I drove 80 miles for my Boston M/Tech/Style. The rest is history.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2003 Chevy Avalanche

Ill be picking up a used S2000 later this year for a play car

The V is just my commute car

·
Registered
209 Posts
2002 Chevy avalanche. Still have it but 10 mpg won't work driving 60 miles a day...
Going in eBay here shorty...
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1333426898.330459.jpg

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was driving a Maybach (it was getting old). But seriously, a 2009 Nissan Versa hatchback SL. And I suspect in Houston your gas mileage isn't going to be anywhere near 40! Likewise, my Veloster is more like my old Versa, I drive all city -- no highway, and I'm lucky to get 26 mpg. I just had the "update" to the tranny software and I am expecting the mpg's to go even more south. Guess which car I would rather be seen in? LOL MPG's aren't everything! Hyundai sort of oversells the MPG's -- "SORT OF".
How are you driving? I drive all city, no highways and I still average 32-36 MPG

""

Wrong thread -- we're talking about the Veloster.
No he is in the right thread cause HE bought a Veloster, his wife is the one who bought the Sonota Turbo if you would have carefully read what he wrote lol

As for me I went from my 2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT, loved the car, loved the power, style, but I had never owned a new vehicle before and now that I have my new job and could afford one, I wanted something fresh, the Veloster was a little low on power from what I was used to in my past 3 vehicles, but with all the other amenities it offers, it leaves no regrets on my decision

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a 2002 Mazda Pro5. Great car. But was looking at buying the boy a car and after looking at the cost of used ones suitable for an 18 year old that wouldn't break the bank in insurance or repairs, I decided it was time for momma to get a new ride and pass along the Pro5 to him.
Plus since I had it since new, I "knew" the car and how is had been treated.
He was in heaven........and so was I:) with my V.
Ride is very similar to the Mazada. Which is what I was looking for. I like to be able to feel the road. So many new cars you can't do that.
And the weirdest thing (which I've mentioned on the forums before) is that I purchased these cars exactly10 years apart to the day. Wasn't tried.
When they found the V for me that was when it worked out for me to get it.
Hope its a sign.:)

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
About this Discussion
178 Replies
143 Participants
misnblu
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing