Veloster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Veloster with the stock audio system and amplifier. With power amp fuse installed, battery drains over night. With fuse out of circuit battery does not drain. (Battery is less than a year old). Is this due to defective power amp? I have tested battery drain with and without the fuse in. With fuse in, the draw is .95 amps. No fuse draw is .2 amps.

Any insight on this matter?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Even 0.2A seems high. Should be in the 35ma range or so at rest. There may be other devices on the same circuit as the amp. I don't have a factory amp, but maybe look under the passenger seat and see if you can pull the amp connection there, and see if the current drops. If it does, amp. If not, something else

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even 0.2A seems high. Should be in the 35ma range or so at rest. There may be other devices on the same circuit as the amp. I don't have a factory amp, but maybe look under the passenger seat and see if you can pull the amp connection there, and see if the current drops. If it does, amp. If not, something else
I unplugged the Amp and current drops and battery does not lose charge overnight.

I want to be absolutely sure it is the amp because it will cost me $560 to purchase a new one.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem or what fails in the Amp?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
i would entertain a used one, at 560 that's exorbitant!

·
Registered
119 Posts
My custom audio setup us so only in the Run or accessories position there is power to the system. When car is off there is no power. The amp is activated by a run wire from the amp. That signals the amp to turn on and draw power. So i would check that first and be sure the amp is turning on or grounding out when the car is off.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
remote turn on wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same issue, ended up being a faulty amp, swapped out and haven't had issue since. Also check amp's battery cable and fuse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts