Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started looking at the Veloster N recently, thought I'd find the main Internet forum and investigate. I'm a prior Evo owner, kept it 13 years until front-end damage was more than insurance wanted to cover. Been driving a beater (along with family minivan), mostly looking for information on reliability, issues, and mods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The veloster N is a brand new vehicle that was released late last year so it's too early to say whether the car will be reliable or not. Issues wise the gen 2 velosters suffer from a bunch of interior rattles and a magical manual driver's seat that seems to rise on it's own but that's about it so far. It's too early to think about modding tbh because the car has only been out for 6+ months so the aftermarket community needs some time to catch up. Hyundai actually offers a nice performance package that touches on everything you'd probably want in the aftermarket with a tune that gives +25 hp, pirelli p zero tires, an elsd, larger brakes, and an active exhaust system that sounds really good.

Personally I don't see the point of trying to performance mod the car. It's a fwd car so any massive boosts in hp will just bring about a bunch torque steer and it will void your new car warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
Also, there is a recall on the door latches

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a new Veloster turbo ultimate driver, I strongly suggest you reconsider your options. Both performance and quality wise I will recommend you to look at some new bmw cars. 2,3 and 4 series. Much better ride, tons of quality mods on the market as well. At this point, I don't think that any veloster model (including the N) worth the price tag.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
As a new Veloster turbo ultimate driver, I strongly suggest you reconsider your options. Both performance and quality wise I will recommend you to look at some new bmw cars. 2,3 and 4 series. Much better ride, tons of quality mods on the market as well. At this point, I don't think that any veloster model (including the N) worth the price tag.
Somehow, Duercos, you forget the price point difference between the any Veloster model (including the N) and any "economical" BMW model. Also, 2019 Veloster is the first in gen 2 and mods haven't yet come on the market -- that's going to take a while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd suggest looking into a Mercedes. You'll really appreciate the difference in performance and quality, and the ride is much better.

ROFL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Somehow, Duercos, you forget the price point difference between the any Veloster model (including the N) and any "economical" BMW model. Also, 2019 Veloster is the first in gen 2 and mods haven't yet come on the market -- that's going to take a while.
I'd suggest looking into a Mercedes. You'll really appreciate the difference in performance and quality, and the ride is much better.

ROFL
Okay, let me explain myself a little better 🙂
If we are talking about a lease (like it is in my case), I paid for my 2019 VTU $29+K msrp $2900 first month and $300/month for 36 month with 10k miles a year. 2.5 years ago I leased my first brand new car from BMW which is a 2016 428xi for $5000 first month and $350/month. If you compare the total payments for 3 years you will see a difference of $3750 in total or $104 more per month. Mind you, my 428 gran coupe is a $45k car, which is 1.5 times more expensive, than a VT. Besides the BMW badge you get a much better engine, awd, fantastic 8 speed tranny, and should I even mention the interior quality? 🙂 I still have that car, my friend is finishing my lease term due in October, and there is not a single rattle in the cabin after 32k miles so far.
Now performance wise: stock 2.0t BMW will do 0-60 in 5.4 sec and 1/4 mile in 14 sec. The amount of oem and aftermarket performance parts is like nothing else out there! Throw in a stage 1 tune that will cost you not more than a grand (chip, intake, exhaust) and your car will be pushing 320-350 hp/tq and doing 0-40 in 4.5 and 1/4 mile in high 12s-low 13s. Now I know there are ECU tunes widely available now and some really high performance chips such as JB4 from burger tuning, but I wouldn't risk putting that on a leased car, especially if I don't participate in any kind of racing.
However if you are buying your car, the MSRP of a BMW 2 series starts at $35K, 3 series is around $40K. There are always some kinds of manufacturer rebates up to $6K. You can also consider a low milage CPO as well.
PS I think I overpaid for my VT and it has no tune potential as of now at least. I tried using afe scorcher chip and the car throws all kinds of messages from CEL to Forward collision sensor and ABS..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't work for BMW lol, I just wanted to share my experience. All I am saying is spend a little more and you will get MUCH more in return..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the first gen veloster turbo and 2016+ elantra sport share the same drivetrain with the second gen VT?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I had posted a reply yesterday, but I guess it didn't load. When I mentioned modding, I meant for 1st or 2nd gen, to get closer to the features that the N comes with now. So I'm looking for what mods are considered more reliable, and which Veloster versions are best modded, if that makes sense ..
but I appreciate all the comments. Kind of funny to sign up to a Veloster forum and get advice to buy bimmer or benz instead :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
All the links are either outdated or from overseas 🙂
Newsflash:
A) All the major car companies sell their cars in multiple countries!
B) JD Power and Consumer Reports can't actually determine reliability for cars in the current model year, obviously.
C) It should be obvious that reliability must be based on multiple years worth of data.

smh

·
Registered
29 Posts
All the links are either outdated or from overseas 🙂
Newsflash:
A) All the major car companies sell their cars in multiple countries!
B) JD Power and Consumer Reports can't actually determine reliability for cars in the current model year, obviously.
C) It should be obvious that reliability must be based on multiple years worth of data.

smh
News flash at you - cars are made for/in America are not the same as European ones..
I am not talking about 10+ year old cars, as I honestly don't know a car that wouldn't be problematic in terms of service after 100k miles or 10 years. Most cars are decent within first 5-6 years of use. God bless America with it's lease opportunities and bearable rates on buying new cars. I also live in NYC and can't tell for other cities or states, but there is really no good car shops around nowadays. So I would rather get a new car and use it's manufacturer warranty and then change it all together.
A brand new BMW will hold up much better within first 5 years, than a Hyundai. Now, I don't know what cars you've actually owned, but I am speaking from my first hand experience. The reason I actually leased my VTU is that I was looking for a shortest car (easy to find a parking spot in NYC) with decent interior room, also I enjoy driving spirited, so I was looking for a somewhat sporty car.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Duercos; A brand new BMW will hold up much better within first 5 years said:
As it should given the the price-point difference! BUT, how much does it cost? 5 year maintenance of a 2019 Veloster is estimated to be 44 cents a mile over a 5 year period. A 2019 BMW 230i is estimated to cost 65 cents a mile. 21 cents a mile difference is HUGE! This is from the Kelley Blue Book, btw. That's over $12,000 more in five years (or $2,400 annually) if you average only 12,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Duercos; A brand new BMW will hold up much better within first 5 years said:
As it should given the the price-point difference! BUT, how much does it cost? 5 year maintenance of a 2019 Veloster is estimated to be 44 cents a mile over a 5 year period. A 2019 BMW 230i is estimated to cost 65 cents a mile. 21 cents a mile difference is HUGE! This is from the Kelley Blue Book, btw. That's over $12,000 more in five years (or $2,400 annually) if you average only 12,000 miles a year.
But what about the 4 year factory warranty? Did you also know, that if you need a service, they will bring a loaner house to your location, take your car in for service, and bring it back the next day or when it's done? And btw, they don't charge for oil/filter/liquids change! So in 4 years it will cost you $0, or significantly less, than servicing a veloster 🙂 BMW just excluded free brakes change from 2017 on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts