Veloster Forum banner

So let’s say you have a 1.6 2015 Hyundai Veloster turbo with 111,192 miles which oil would you pick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So say you got a 2015 Hyundai Veloster turbo with 111,192 miles which oil would you pick.
Aside of price,cost,labor.
(Imagine it was free)
Which would be your go to?
The BEST!
1. Liquid Molly (5w30-5w40-5w20)
2.Royal purple (5w30-5w40-5w20)
3.motul(5w30-5w40-5w20)

Please keep your opinion clean and to the point.
I’m using these polls as proof and research So others can learn from more experienced people

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
511 Posts
I run the 5w-30 special tec

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
quaker state, lol

every 3000-3500 miles for mine since it was 5 miles old. at 125k now.

Reactions: SVTfocusO3

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
C58B69ED-5B1E-4A59-A3F6-41071C8742A4.jpeg
BC9D3290-1E15-4ED4-B70F-8786FDB9D09B.jpeg

Looking at the numbers the QS blend has a higher flash point at the same viscosity by 16 degrees Celsius which is good compared to the RP HPS.
Flash point is the point at when an oil begins to vaporize at high temperatures causing loss of oil and possible ignition around a spark. Higher numbers are better than lower

Pour point for the QS blend is -45 Celsius compared to the -51 Celsius of the RP HPS.
Pour point basically when the oil stops flowing at a given cold temperature

Kinetic Viscosity @40 degrees Celsius is 64.6 mm per second drop for the QS blend whereas the the RP HPS @ 40 degree Celsius is 56.2 which means that at higher temperatures the viscosity is maintained for the RP HPS at 40 degree Celsius.

The 100 degree Celsius for the QS blend is 11.3 mm drop per second while the RP HPS at 100 Celsius is 11.03 which is pretty close to the QS blend.
So the above Kinetic Viscosity test shows that a full synthetic will hold a better useable viscosity than a petroleum/ synthetic blend. 😉

The Viscosity Index for the QS blend is 169 whereas the same index for the RP HPS is 193.
A higher number means the lubricant changes viscosity at a lower rate based on the temperature.
Here's the article that may help in that explanation.

The CCS Viscosity @ 30 degrees Celsius for the QS blend is 4180. The same CCS @ 30 degrees for the RP HPS is 5127.
The CCS viscosity test evaluates the amount of energy it takes to start an engine at a specified cold temperature; the lower the viscosity grade, the lower the temperature at which the test is performed. The test assigns a value in centipoise (cP), used to determine the viscosity grade. Using Signature Series 5W-30 as an example, its viscosity at -30ºC (-22ºF) can be no greater than 6600 cP to receive a 5W grade. Lower values reflect lighter-viscosity oils.
The article can be found here.

All this being evaluated at the 5w30 specifications for oil.

I hope that helps some with knowing their oil a little bit better and these are some of the best numbers you'll see from both the Quaker State blend and the Royal Purple HPS oils.
No winner or loser here just some good oils showing their numbers for all to see.

Happy reading. 😁👍

Btw you still haven't changed my mind. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️😉😘

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
great writeup there. basically glad i'm not in alaska. also i would suppose my intervals make any longevity thing a real non issue.

also the dealer does it, so i don't have to lol

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
great writeup there. basically glad i'm not in alaska. also i would suppose my intervals make any longevity thing a real non issue.

also the dealer does it, so i don't have to lol
Exactly but looking at the numbers the QS blend tend to change to a lower viscosity as the temperature rises in the engine which could be a concern with you doing auto cross.
It's a good oil considering it's a blend so kid of gives you the best of both worlds.
Change interval is critical too.

Ever since I got the Blackstone Labs results I've been digging for information on what the numbers mean and how the oil is doing.
6,000 mile interval and the oil is still good is a good indicator of its quality. 👍🤟

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts
I never really bothered to look at the SDS, even though I see them all day at my job, but it did tell me if it had zinc, PAO base, wax and what not. It was some very good info I just overlooked! thx

*Trying to look at RPs SDS', but I have to put a request...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts