Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2014 Veloster non turbo. I do however wanna make this my project car. What are some performance modifications I can add and can not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might as well make it a looker and a sounder because engine wise you are limited.

Exhaust like he said.

Wheels and tires.

and stickers. Lots and lots of stickers. 1hp per sticker.
I was thinking about that but then I came across a good point why make it look nice when it’s weak

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
369 Posts
I was thinking about that but then I came across a good point why make it look nice when it’s weak
If this is a serious project car then a turbo swap would be ideal.
The turbo motor and transmission will slip right in as will the ecu.
If your base Veloster has the 5 stud wheels then the axles will also work.

The other thing is to lighten the car by removing anything you're not needing.
Weight reduction is the biggest power to weight gain there is.

For your base model you could use lighter pulley's for the engine, 60mm throttlebody, and a mid cat delete to open up the breathing of the car.
There is potential for the n/a cars and they can be a blast to drive.
A slow car driven fast will always be more fun than a fast car driven slow.

You've got a good base car so it's up to you to see what's out there to realize it's potential. Good luck and enjoy what you have. 🙏🏽👍

·
Registered
97 Posts
Before I upgraded to my 19 R spec, I had a 13 NAV that I dearly enjoyed so, I'll chime in. While the gang is correct, You're limited as far as BUILDING power on a NAV you do have options that can eek out more from what the engine does provide.

Basically, it's about enhancing what you have AND mitigating parasitic loss of HP.

1st, OIL. Yes, it sound rather odd, but Synthetic oils offer a vast advantage when it comes to the reduction of FRICTION in the engine. Every bit of FRICTION that you remove is HP that you REGAIN. Sound silly, but yeah, it's a real thing.

2nd, IF the car is a manual transmission, I would JUMP on getting an intake for it. No, you will NOT add a whole bunch of HP, however, it will mitigate that "built in" throttle lag shifting from 1st to 2nd AND it WILL greatly improve throttle response.

3rd, yes, a more freer flowing exhaust will also add to that equation.

These are the simplest of things that can make a bit of difference. Will it make the car a rocket? No... but it will make a difference over stock and are simple and relatively economical to do. In most cases will not void any "certified" or extended warranty should you have any.

Another thing to consider.. whilst not PERFORMANCE related, can certainly add to the betterment of the engine would be an oil catch can to prevent buildup of crud inside the induction. Whilst more of an advantage on Turbocharged vehicles, ALL GDI engines would benefit from them. Google 'round a bit to get te skinny on those. I have one on mine and had one on the NAV as well.

Good luck and welcome to the fray!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts