Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing the black rubber peeling off their steering wheel? I have Style package only, no tech. Not sure if my steering wheel is rubber or "leatherette" or what. Damn things only 3 mos old! But I do alot of driving, got 8000 on my baby already:) Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a few holes in my steering wheel, while very small they were wen i took delivery, noticed the next day, I learned a hard lesson in this car purchase, don't take delivery at night...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The 'wrap' on a Style package V steering wheel is leather as stated on your EPA window sticker (and other sources).

I would be surprised if your issue is common to other owners.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Post some pics. If you continuously drive with your hands in the same position on the wheel with a firm grip - any steering wheel will begin to wear. Shouldn't be after only 3 months though.

Is anyone else experiencing the black rubber peeling off their steering wheel? I have Style package only, no tech. Not sure if my steering wheel is rubber or "leatherette" or what. Damn things only 3 mos old! But I do alot of driving, got 8000 on my baby already:) Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
There have been a few cases with my fellow Elantra and Genesis owners about the steering wheel peeling in those cars too. Most were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yes pictures would help.
I would also like to say, potentially if you drive a lot, eat dont wash hands you could have a buildup on your wheel that could look like peel.

I use either 303 or Lexol on my wheel every 3 to 6 months just to clean it. You may need to keep it conditioned?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pics

wheel.jpg wheel also.jpg

Photos above. It's a brand new car, definitely has nothing to do with dirty hands or repeated use. The thin layer will literally peel right off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear a small ring on my right hand, and my shift knob is already starting to peel around that part.
:(
That poor Nexus! I would be very upset if I dropped mine, how are you holding up? :)

@ the OP, definitely try to get it replaced under warranty. No reason a car as new as this should be peeling already.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I always wear driving gloves when I drive. The steering wheel of the GTI I sold looked brand new. Sweat is bad for leather IMO. clean it often with damp cloth.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well for cleaning too.

Heres my chevy truck- magic eraser used below stitching, nothing used above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
View attachment 3079 View attachment 3086

Photos above. It's a brand new car, definitely has nothing to do with dirty hands or repeated use. The thin layer will literally peel right off.
Mine looks exactly the same. It is affecting the left side of the wheel. Nothing to do with abuse, etc. It looks like the steering wheel is multi-layered.
Thank goodness or we would be looking at foam or plastic.
I will have mine checked with the next oil change but that is almost 2k miles from now. Its an hour drive each way to the dealer so I wait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I am having this issue to.. Its peeling a thin black film off. I doubt it is just regular dirt.. is it conditioner that they use on the "leather"?

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife has had her wedding rings wear through the leather wheel on our old car. She would always hold her hand in the same spot. I think the sweat/dirt/abrasion combo did it in.

But for the V, I wouldn't think a decent quality leather wheel would wear or get damaged in such a short time though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well for cleaning too.
Keep in mind that the Magic Eraser is a micro abrasive. In essence it works like a pencil eraser.
I have had friends use the Magic Eraser to clean their leather seats. They report it works rather well. But they caution to always condition the leather after cleaning with a magic eraser

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
To be honest,i dont really think our steering wheels are leather covered. my previous car had a leather steering wheel that actually felt like it was leather. this car feels like plastic

1 - 20 of 344 Posts