Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently ran into an issue with my passenger door handle. I've never had problems with it before, but the other day my girlfriend went to open it, and the little piece attached to the door handle fell off. Since it's keyless entry, it looks like there was a screw possibly holding it into place? Anyways, I plan to fix it myself, but can someone tell me which part I would need to order or the steps to fix this issue. Any help would be much appreciated! Photo Nov 15, 1 02 23 PM.jpg Photo Nov 15, 1 02 13 PM.jpg Photo Nov 15, 1 02 02 PM.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would just take it to the dealer and let the warranty settle it lol unless it expired?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will guess it is a more common problem. Happened to mine. I also work at an auction and went to check out a souped up veloster. When I opened the door I saw that piece sitting on the center console. Also saw a thread with the same thing on another Hyundai.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
remember, every time you open the door handle if you're not pulling straight away you are exhibiting force on that little piece because of how the handles are made. its a rough design. the door handle almost pops completely out without that little piece there.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
My passenger door handle end cap fell off this afternoon. It did go back into place easily. I guess I'll just super glue it back on and see if that works.
Passengerdoorhandle1.jpg Passengerdoorhandle2.jpg Passengerdoorhandle3.jpg

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
532 Posts
Just an fyi if anyone else has this issue, the part is $15 new oem. Partnumber varies by color code.

Replaced mine for $20 total

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
Mine came off as well, I just epoxied it back on. That was over 2 years ago...

Reactions: Ricky-D and jkt1954

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Easy enough to see how it simply snaps in place.

Epoxy seems to be the best way to fix it when the detents are not able to hold it in place anymore.

Just have to be sure to have very clean surfaces for the epoxy to adhere.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
It’s held in by a screw from inside. The shiny knurled thing is the nut that’s cast into the plastic.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I went with super glue today. In the interim, I learned the part would stay in place as long as I kept my thumb on it when opening and releasing the handle.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think the problem with superglue is that it has poor adherence to metal, talking about the stud that holds the part in place.

That's why I thought epoxy would work better because you can really goop a considerable amount of the stuff on and around the stud and on the part also and when it hardens would tent to encapsulate the whole thing.

I can think of other ways to hold the part but that's another day.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I think the problem with superglue is that it has poor adherence to metal, talking about the stud that holds the part in place.
While I did put some of the glue on the metal most of it went on the plastic. And, I got the ultra, mega, uber bonding Super Glue besides! It has to work! LOL

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just don't understand why all the problems with this handle.

I think I have operated the passenger door handle on the average of one time per month.

And there are absolutely no similar reports on the driver side door handle.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
its a cheap car.

Reactions: jkt1954

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
relative to the two base model jettas ive had (my latest is a 2013)... its cheap. the VT has more creature comforts, but it really is missing some of that extra finesse that you only find with a german car. that satisfying heavy sound you get when you close the door. the barely but well lit interior in red is satisfying and easy on the eyes. the paint holds up way better. it isn't a turbo, they are 2.5s so it's bulletproof (would never own a turbo VW personally :) )

compared to my old 2000 mitsubishi mirage and 2009 toyota corolla, it's a little better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts