Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this P2261 seems to be plaguing me in my son's 2015 turbo. First time we got the code we checked the stock bypass valve and it did actually have a tear in it. We replaced it with the stock version and almost immediately picked up the dang code again. We have reset it several times and the damn thing keeps coming back. Assuming the next step here is to replace the solenoid but damn that thing looks like a real pain to get to. Is there a way to test it?
Another question, we use an AP200 OBD reader. When watching the live data on it the turbo wastegate solenoid value never changes. It sits at 15% no matter the throttle position. That doesn't sound right and makes me think the problems could be related. Our OBD tool also gives us readings for boost pressure upstream and desired boost pressure upstream. The actual reading bounces from around 14 to just north of 15 psi. The desired value never really goes over 9psi. EDIT: wategate doesn't seem to be a problem, it kicks up higher just needed to give the sucker more RPM.

I'm pulling my hair out with this thing. We've got to clear the CEL to pass emissions and get a tag and everytime we fix one code we seem to get another. Started with ambient air temp sensor now this. We've had this car for three weeks and have done nothing but chase gremlins.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
8-9 psi is relevant to either bad bov or bad solenoid most of the time. the solenoid is easy to change, from underneath. will take you about 10 minutes. now is also a good time to get silicon vacuum hoses! replace one hose at a time.

im on my 3rd oem bov and have replaced both the wastebase and bov solenoids already. bov solenoid failed a 3rd time i upgraded to a MAC valve. i race the car every few weekends though.

also be sure to order a hyundai one...

sucks you bought someone elses problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I just ordered a Mac replacement this morning from sxth element. What do you mean by "also be sure to order a hyundai one"? Which part are you speaking of there?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
there are knockoffs and other manufactures out there for the valve. oem hyundai ensures that it is a perfect fit. the MAC valve is expensive, and you will have to get crafty to mount it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Bought the bypass valve direct from hyundai, it's definitely a chintzy little part.
You know the hose size offhand? Looks to be 3mm or 4mm [1/8 - 5/32].
The MAC wasn't too bad, after shipping its about $20 more than the OEM from hyundai. If I could've gotten the oem local I'd have gone that route.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
i'm trying to remember what mine was... i think it was 5/32 . they went on fine and i zip tied the ends as a just incase. no trouble in years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts