Veloster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help diagnosing an issue on my old veloster (now brothers).

Passenger motor mount went bad and after replacing it found the car threw an o2 upstream code and multiple variants of p0300, p0303, p0304 for misfires.

Replaced the plugs and it's only smoothed out the misfire and swapped packs confirming its not the coil packs. The car isn't at my house so i can't very well diagnoses it traveling to the car for a few hours a week. We haven't done a compression test yet because the misfire was noticed after i arrived.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
possibly unplug something?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
i meant unplugged... maybe a ground broke?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grounds were all good

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We all know that changing the motor mounts have nothing to do with your problem, so I don't understand why you would mention except to the fact of the timing of the advent of your problem.

It's my thought that you may have possibly disturbed something else on the engine while changing the motor mount and that is the cause of your problem.

Go back over to analyze what exactly you did to maybe identify the true cause of your problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the dtcs if you can, thanks!
My code reader as of when i scanned it yesterday had 9 codes (some permanent some clearable) was just the 3 misfire codes repeated. P0420 was pulled ny my brother a week ago but self cleared.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We all know that changing the motor mounts have nothing to do with your problem, so I don't understand why you would mention except to the fact of the timing of the advent of your problem.

It's my thought that you may have possibly disturbed something else on the engine while changing the motor mount and that is the cause of your problem.

Go back over to analyze what exactly you did to maybe identify the true cause of your problem.
Sensors don't like vibration, i've had crank and cam position sensors fail from driving too long on bad motor mounts before.

Given nothing was touched and the engine wasn't moved when we replaced the mount it seems unlikely. I checked all the misc electrical connectors and checked the grounds again (did it in January when i was doing an axle) and nothing is corroded, dirty, etc.

I'll run the compression test when i can get back to the car in a week or two.

·
Registered
2015 Veloster Turbo
55 Posts
My brother had same code on his Kia, spuds like the cat is going bad. He had all the same problems, and most of the same codes you mentioned. Hope this help some.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need a little help diagnosing an issue on my old veloster (now brothers).

Passenger motor mount went bad and after replacing it found the car threw an o2 upstream code and multiple variants of p0300, p0303, p0304 for misfires.

Replaced the plugs and it's only smoothed out the misfire and swapped packs confirming its not the coil packs. The car isn't at my house so i can't very well diagnoses it traveling to the car for a few hours a week. We haven't done a compression test yet because the misfire was noticed after i arrived.
Have you checked for intake vacuum leaks?
Also your fuel pressures both low in tank and high pressure fuel pump on the engines valve cover. Plus check your direct injection fuel injectors. Yes do the cylinder compression check and if you can do a cylinder leak down pressure test also. Then you should have a better picture of your issues with the misfires.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
Brother-in-law whined until i agreed to buy the car back. Should be back in my shop for better diagnostics today.

Going to compression test and probably remove the intake to clean everything out with new gaskets. I should have a few parts i'll be pulling off (strut bar, rear brace, rally armor flaps) for sale as well before reselling the car after i can confirm repairs are properly done. But first i get to finish my work on my wife's tdi sportwagen...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carnage report: from cylinder 1- 4
170 psi
165 psi
10 psi
170 psi

Working on getting the head off today to check for piston and valve damage.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found plastic and metal flecks in the vvt solenoid while pulling the valve cover. I'm getting pretty close to just pulling the whole motor to swap or rebuild depending what i find

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was a wet test too?
#3 had a bunch of oil already sitting in it. New sparkplugs were fine on 2 cylinders and oily on 3 and 4. Engine is already down to the long block so it'll be getting pulled once i finish up some work on my track car. Which might be tomorrow or next weekend.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
oof size large... that stinks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts