Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 VT. I bought it a few months ago with 73k and a CEL. The salesman put the code reader on it and said it was because of the K/N CAI. I had thought nothing of the CEL until around november i would notice the engine would do a weird stutter when getting on the interstate. I figured one of the crank/cam sensors went bad and if not that maybe a belt issue? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 VT
919 Posts
Dont think the intake caused this. Any more codes?

Maybe reset the codes after an oil change using a synthetic 5w30 and the OEM filter and report back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think P0017 has to do with correlation between the cam and crank position sensors. The salesman was either ignorant or sleazy, or both to blame it on the intake. Changing the oil and filter never hurts, but I don't think it will affect the problem.

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
I recommend pulling the code again, you can generally do it free at an autoparts store and let us know. Minnesota has a lemon law that protects people from getting stuck with broken cars from sleazy dealers. If it turn out to be something serious you could look into if your state has similar options.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
agreed i would double check the code.

next would be to check out the wiring at the crank and cam sensors... may have to get it diagnosed somewhere but its most likely one of those two sensors.

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont think the intake caused this. Any more codes?

Maybe reset the codes after an oil change using a synthetic 5w30 and the OEM filter and report back.
No other codes. I reset them and it came right back last week. I dont have the oem filter.

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agreed i would double check the code.

next would be to check out the wiring at the crank and cam sensors... may have to get it diagnosed somewhere but its most likely one of those two sensors.
Im planning on ordering the sensors and changing them out and if that doesnt work out i will have the timing checked out. It has a mean misfire and im pretty certain the stutter is a timing issue.

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend pulling the code again, you can generally do it free at an autoparts store and let us know. Minnesota has a lemon law that protects people from getting stuck with broken cars from sleazy dealers. If it turn out to be something serious you could look into if your state has similar options.
Colorado has that law too haha. I wasnt too worried about the code and i have no problem fixing anything i need. And the code comes up the same after clearing them.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
the car has variable valve timing, so it would make sense why the cam/crank would think they are out of time because the cams can and will retard or advance their rotation. if the chain was off or messed up (very unlikely scenario here on this engine) it would most likely not run at all.

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think P0017 has to do with correlation between the cam and crank position sensors. The salesman was either ignorant or sleazy, or both to blame it on the intake. Changing the oil and filter never hurts, but I don't think it will affect the problem.
Already did a full oil change. And yeah lol it was a pretty sleazy place.

·
Registered
2014 VT K&N Typhoon CAI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car has variable valve timing, so it would make sense why the cam/crank would think they are out of time because the cams can and will retard or advance their rotation. if the chain was off or messed up (very unlikely scenario here on this engine) it would most likely not run at all.
Do you think it is one of the sensors then?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
yes, most likely one of the sensors. unfortunately hard to tell which one without logging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts