Veloster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I went on a 4 hour cruise with a group, all of a sudden my dial shoots up to overheating and the temp warning light turns on. The A/c goes hot as well. I pull over and lift up the hood and the coolant before was a little below full and after overheating, it shot up past full and was bubbling. So I let my car cool down and after about 15 minutes I turned it back on and the coolant went back down to the normal level it was at before. I let the heat run for a bit as well. Its now 3 days later and it hasn't had that issue nor has it overheated again. Should I pressure test it? replace the thermostat? do a coolant flush? Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 2013 VT with 97K miles. Only Mod I have is a res delete and glasspack muffler. Very lost on what I should do next :(
Got tired of reading the stupid angry responses over triviality.
Sounds like a head gasket leak, get the tester:
if it shows as a HG leak, consider :
as a temp solution until you can get the HG replaced.
Keep water/coolant in car in gallons. make sure AAA is up to date.
if it happens again, stop driving and have it towed

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
thanks for bumping this leftydog... cleaned up.

·
Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm pretty sure a head gasket leak would present the symptoms all the time and not on one random occasion, but I could be wrong.
I put in 3 quarts of oil and filled up the coolant with the 50/50 prediluted and haven't noticed the coolant levels move or the oil burning and its been a few days since that overheating issue. It also hasn't overheated since. God these cars are so weird. I'm getting it pressure tested today so I will let you all know :) Hoping its not the Head gasket

·
Registered
800 Posts
Three quarts of oil ?????

You need to explain that.

The engine only takes four quarts.

Running it overfilled, which it what you seem to be doing, can explain why you're having the problems that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Three quarts of oil ?????

You need to explain that.

The engine only takes four quarts.

Running it overfilled, which it what you seem to be doing, can explain why you're having the problems that you are experiencing.
There was no oil in there. It burned the oil. which is what I explained Which is also why I put more in..

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
i may have missed it cleaning things up but when was your last oil change? 3 quarts should not dissapear that's alot of oil to burn up! no oil underneath? possible spots to check would be the filter and drain bolt area...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i may have missed it cleaning things up but when was your last oil change? 3 quarts should not dissapear that's alot of oil to burn up! no oil underneath? possible spots to check would be the filter and drain bolt area...
Last oil change was 3,000 miles ago. Oil burned up after my little coolant accident.

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
you should have changed the filter, no idea what could be in there right now... i'd monitor daily for a few weeks when it's cold. oil and coolant levels. and probably change the oil soon as well. what are you using? hyundai filter too, i hope.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes I got the filter changed my last oil change at Hyundai and I am going in today to get an oil change as well as the pressure test.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would suggest to be very attentive to where you get your oil changed.
I'm saying this because your Veloster was evidently cheated on the quarts that were need last time.
Running on a single quart of oil is not recommended.
You did not burn out three quarts of oil in such a short period of time, and you could have very probably destroyed your engine.
You should learn how to check your oil yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I would suggest to be very attentive to where you get your oil changed.
I'm saying this because your Veloster was evidently cheated on the quarts that were need last time.
Running on a single quart of oil is not recommended.
You did not burn out three quarts of oil in such a short period of time, and you could have very probably destroyed your engine.
You should learn how to check your oil yourself.
I do know how to check my oil thank you very much. I am not that much of a damn idiot.
And I didn't get cheated out of any oil. My father works for Hyundai and I get all my services through them.
I even CHECK THE OIL after I get the oil change done.

:)

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
369 Posts
Ugh i know thank god its just carbon!!
Glad to hear it.
Did they do the walnut blasting for the carbon buildup or some kind of chemical spray to clean it up.
Im curious what they did for reference.
Thank and now you can go back to enjoying the ride. 😍👍

·
Registered
552 Posts
Glad to hear it.
Did they do the walnut blasting for the carbon buildup or some kind of chemical spray to clean it up.
Thank and now you can go back to enjoying the ride.
Same

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Glad to hear it.
Thank and now you can go back to enjoying the ride. 😍👍
They put some tranny fluid in the engine, let it run for 5 minutes to flush it out, and boom carbon build up is gone! Rides smoother too!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts