Veloster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think this rona situation is getting a little under everyone's skin. There some great help on this site, let's not have this slip into some of the bs we see on the social media pages. It's a slippery slope

·
Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You can also buy coolant testers, those are pretty neat and will tell you if your coolant is due. I'm pretty sure it's another issue though. I'm thinking one of your fans may have stopped working. Maybe a sensor controlling the fans. I wouldn't wait to get the car checked out. Bring it to a trusted mechanic.
the fans are running properly and the only thing that sucks is I can't get my car into the shop until next week because I work two jobs :( but she hasn't overheated again yet so pray for me :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
4 hour cruise, what speed? Usually overheating is at idle, but, Ive had an issue on another car only at highway speed; new radiator fixed it.
we were going about 80 on a hot ass day was about 90 out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Why? What's wrong with THIS forum? Veloster.org not good enough for you? Seriously, why would you send him somewhere else?

Did you even read his post?

Welcome turbovhyundai13. I would agree with RPW00Mirage. If you have nearly 100k miles and still on the original coolant, I'd change that first. Even if it wasn't the problem. It's still way old.
*Also I am a she but thank you I will do a coolant flush!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I spent a few days on the Veloster Turbo forum, posted my issue and did not get a single reply in 5 days. I find this forum much more helpful. I don't think OP having the turbo version has anything to do with his issue honestly.

He obviously has an intermittent problem which is most likely related to a faulty sensor or fan.

If it was an internal problem it would do it all the time. A cracked radiator or hose would create leaks and he would have to top it off regularly.

OP monitor the coolant level, temperature gauge. Check exhaust fumes as well. White means you may have a leak somewhere.
Fan is running good, exhaust just puffs black smoke here and there no white smoke. I am assuming I should just do a coolant flush and new thermostat is my best bet. Going to have a master tech look at it hopefully next week.

·
Super Moderator
4,413 Posts
Yeah, my guess is the thermostat might have stuck. Is your AC blowing cold now? Do you hear the fan kick on when you turn on the AC?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, my guess is the thermostat might have stuck. Is your AC blowing cold now? Do you hear the fan kick on when you turn on the AC?
Yea fan kicks on, A/c is blowing cold air but im trying not to use it till I can get a thermostat and coolant flush done

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would recommend a 160° t-stat:
NAPA Superstat P/N 530060

& since you have to remove the alternator to get in there i would replace the serpentine belt while its exposed.

Reactions: turbovhyundai13

·
Super Moderator
4,413 Posts
I would recommend a 160° t-stat:
Got to be careful doing this, I did this in my Jeep. It wouldn't pass smog because the car wouldn't fully reach operating temperature.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Got to be careful doing this, I did this in my Jeep. It wouldn't pass smog because the car wouldn't fully reach operating temperature.
I don't have any codes running this Tstat & has lowered temps by approximately 10° to 15° degrees.

P0128 is a relatively common OBDII trouble code. It is triggered when your Hyundai Veloster's coolant temperature fails to reach the proper operating temperature.

Did you experience any codes on the jeep when you did this?

·
Super Moderator
4,413 Posts
I don't have any codes running this Tstat & has lowered temps by approximately 10° to 15° degrees.

P0128 is a relatively common OBDII trouble code. It is triggered when your Hyundai Veloster's coolant temperature fails to reach the proper operating temperature.

Did you experience any codes on the jeep when you did this?
LOL, No, it was an old skool 1989 Jeep with a straight six. They were notorious for running hot. Heck I don't even think it had a computer or check engine light in it. I sold it to my mechanic, it's still his daily driver

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep, check all your fins in front for debris, try a flush, then keep what i said in mind if repeats.
Thank you I will!!! and I actually just ordered an oem thermostat lol that thermostat has been good to me till recently and I like to keep my car with mostly oem parts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
stay OEM. (sorry best way)
Def not the best way, especially with how quick VT's experience heat soak. Many owners are running the 160° tstats to combat heat (with no codes), but hey to each is his or her own

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
too many people get aftermarket parts and end up having problems with the VT's so imma stick to oem especially for internal parts, anything for the exterior I would go aftermarket

·
Registered
552 Posts
too many people get aftermarket parts and end up having problems with the VT's so imma stick to oem especially for internal parts, anything for the exterior I would go aftermarket
I've never done what's popular for my VT, hence why it's still movin' at 265whp with over 120k miles on it. :)

Quality, aesthetics & longevity are my concerns for this car & the only oem part I trust with Hyundai is the oil filter lol, everything else is subpar. The IC is actually pretty good for stock as well.

Hopefully the tstat is indeed your issue though.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've never done what's popular for my VT, hence why it's still movin' at 265whp with over 120k miles on it. :)

Quality, aesthetics & longevity are my concerns for this car & the only oem part I trust with Hyundai is the oil filter lol, everything else is subpar. The IC is actually pretty good for stock as well.

Hopefully the tstat is indeed your issue though.
I mean sh*t good for you! you got lucky with aftermarket goodies not a lot of people have good luck with them

21 - 40 of 60 Posts