Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I joined the forum in December 2019 because I purchased a 16 VT with 30K miles. I checked at least 4 times and the oil dip stick looked like twice passed full. I thought WTH?! So I took the VT to my local Hyundai dealer, different from where I bought it from and changed the oil after only 1700 miles. Sure enough, when I got home I check the dip stick and it was dead on the full mark.

So why in the heck would the selling dealership fill my oil so passed full??? I hope it didn’t do any damage. I feel like I can’t even complain to the Hyundai dealership I bought it from since I never took photos of the dip stick.
I did not notice any smells or performance issues when it was overfilled. I hope I caught it in time since I went only 1700 miles before getting it changed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
So why in the heck would the selling dealership fill my oil so passed full???
Thoughts?
Because the Veloster only takes 3.5 quarts of oil and most Hyundai engines take 4.5 quarts. The selling dealership mechanic probably assumed it was 4.5 and just put that much in without checking.

Lesson learned: don't use the selling dealership for oil changes in the future. Use the second one that got it correct.

And don't worry about damage, you won't damage an engine by overfilling it unless you were racing it or left it that way for a long time. The worst thing you did was lower the fuel economy because the engine crank was spinning in a little oil instead of freely in the air. Think of it like you running on the beach in about 6 inches of water compared to running on the beach out of the surf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Hyundai dealer did the same thing - they give the Oil Change duties to the newbies who don't read well. Turbo's take 1 qt. more than normally aspirated engine. I always check level after service since it seems to be a common mistake. Over filling can cause aeration of the oils which is not good for engine health.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I joined the forum in December 2019 because I purchased a 16 VT with 30K miles. I checked at least 4 times and the oil dip stick looked like twice passed full. I thought WTH?! So I took the VT to my local Hyundai dealer, different from where I bought it from and changed the oil after only 1700 miles. Sure enough, when I got home I check the dip stick and it was dead on the full mark.

So why in the heck would the selling dealership fill my oil so passed full??? I hope it didn’t do any damage. I feel like I can’t even complain to the Hyundai dealership I bought it from since I never took photos of the dip stick.
I did not notice any smells or performance issues when it was overfilled. I hope I caught it in time since I went only 1700 miles before getting it changed.

Thoughts?
If it isn't that they are over filling, it could be a cracked short block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it isn't that they are over filling, it could be a cracked short block.
Hey, that’s a different angle. I’ve been checking daily and still at full level since I changed it. Honestly, no change in performance since I had changed the oil to the correct level. I think the MPG has increased a little bit that could just be my driving conditions.
I’ll keep an eye on that though, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts