Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to point out that the OEM oil filter is a very high quality oil filter at a fairly low cost. I made the mistake of being out of the Hyundai OEM oil filter when I did my last oil change and bought a Mobil 1 extended life oil filter. It is much lighter and has a smaller outside diameter than the stock does. Ordered 6 ea. with 6 oil plug washers on Ebay for $25.00 compared to the $12.99 I paid for the Mobil 1.

·
weekend racer
7,820 Posts
OEM filter is highly recommended over any other filter for our vehicle.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Why would anyone want an extended life oil filter .. they're meant to be changed at regular intervals (more importantly than some extended life oils)

Reactions: Energized

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my first oil change coming up. Is the OEM filter really necessary? In past vehicles I have used Bosch, MicrGuard and Fram. All of these worked great and did their job with no issues or leaking. The OEM filter is quite a bit more expensive than these other brands. Can anyone give me a detailed answer as to WHY the OEM is the filter of choice other than "it's better"? Which is what I have been reading in various 'Oil Change' posts throughout the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I have my first oil change coming up. Is the OEM filter really necessary? In past vehicles I have used Bosch, MicrGuard and Fram. All of these worked great and did their job with no issues or leaking. The OEM filter is quite a bit more expensive than these other brands. Can anyone give me a detailed answer as to WHY the OEM is the filter of choice other than "it's better"? Which is what I have been reading in various 'Oil Change' posts throughout the forum.
How much is 'a bit more expensive'? You can buy in bulk on Ebay for cheaper if needed or $6 at the dealership. Let's say you change your oil 4 times a year, if you save $3 per oil filter if you go non-OEM you save only $12 per year....is it worth it to not get the OEM one?

To answer your original question there was study done on the OEM filter and it actually came out to be a good filter. I will see if I can dig it up.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Reactions: RayT2Turbo and Zach

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mine come supplied with the aluminum washer taped to the filter box

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you're dead set on aftermarket filters, I recommend Wix. But the OEM filters seem to perform at a good price. My dealer has them for $7 with washer, and obviously they're readily available online for less.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I get them for $4.72 each OTD. Of course I work at a different dealership so I get them at slightly over our cost...score!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are a bunch of reviews on Hyundai oil filters dating back to the early 2000s. I remember one of the first tear downs on elantraxd site back in the day (2004 xd2 was my first new car so I'm not new to the Hyundai game). Compared to fram, it had at least 2-3 times the amount of filter media, and more importantly, an anti back flow valve. Don't go cheap on the oil filter- the Hyundai one is one of the best there is.

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
weekend racer
7,820 Posts
use the RP oil if you like, but stick with the factory filter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Took the advice of the forum on this... Went with RP 5w-30 full synthetic but used the factory filter. Strange though, the motor sounds different now and not in a good way. Kind of like the sound upon dry startup. Going to check the oil level in the morning to see how it looks. Thanks guys

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get my OEM filters for $5 at dealer in Danbury Ct. My local dealer wanted $10 I told him to stick his high profit margin up his arss !. They also lost out on selling me my new 2016 Turbo cuz they were to lazy to look in the area from other dealers. I found my Turbo 40 miles away and payed less for it ($17449 plus tax and prep) than when I purchased my 2012 NAV 5 years ago. What a deal that was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've owned my nav dct for 2.5 years... started at 40,500 miles.... k&n oil filter every oil change... 5w20 synthetic oil and lucus synthetic oil stabilizer.. every oil change...
CRC or seafoam every 20k miles or so..
80% of the time I run ethanol free fuel 90 octane (helps reduce carbon emissions)..
Honestly, I am shocked by the reliability of my nav.. I drive the hell out of her on a daily basis. I've put 170k rough miles since I took her home... also I'm ashamed to say but I have neglected to service my DCT... I attempted to diy after being quoted $238.00
Even had my own gear oil so I finally gave up (no help from the internet, only the manual trans)...
So yeah 211k miles 2014 nav dct base..

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
513 Posts
I'm still at a stand still on whether to keep using the Hyundai filters or go with the RP filter or K&N.

I've been using the RP HPS formula 5w20 with the extra zinc in it for better lubrication and very happy with this oil. Should do great once I track the car and get rev happy. ??

I will probably wind up tearing into a Hyundai oil filter to see what's really inside.
Anyone done this yet and seen the inside?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts