Veloster Forum banner
181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do :geek:

There's four bolts holding the gear shifter down, and two cables that go out to the transmission. Hope this helps.
He's looking for pictures of the transaxle side of things, under the hood. Thanks for the photo though, someone is bound to find it useful!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
830 Posts
I do :geek:

There's four bolts holding the gear shifter down, and two cables that go out to the transmission. Hope this helps.
You da man. 👍😁😂
So you must've been changing out the shifter bushings for some billet with this photo.
Looked like mine when I had it all torn down for various changes to my shifter. I had plenty of pictures too but did t keep them as I figured nobody would ask. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
572 Posts
He's looking for pictures of the transaxle side of things, under the hood. Thanks for the photo though, someone is bound to find it useful!
Ah. ok then (y)
You da man. 👍😁😂
So you must've been changing out the shifter bushings for some billet with this photo.
Looked like mine when I had it all torn down for various changes to my shifter. I had plenty of pictures too but did t keep them as I figured nobody would ask. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Actually, I was looking for a coin that fell down there... j/k, that's exactly what it was for 😊

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (yes wrong car ahaha) with the same 6MT and 1.6L as the Veloster turbo and R-spec, I figured more people would be familiar with my issues here since we share parts.

Car only has 25k miles on it and I've had it since early February. Since I got the car, but not sure when exactly this started, when the car is cold reverse gear doesn't seem to engage and sometimes I have to give it the 'ol in and out trick to get it into gear. A couple times I thought I've had it in gear and while letting out the clutch slowly notice my shifter pop out of reverse and then it goes into reverse no problem.

Lately however reverse gear has been getting consistently more annoying and on 2 separate occasions I've gotten pretty bad gear grind (not moving or rolling whatsoever, foot still on the brake) however after the gears grind and I got back into Neutral, it goes nicely into reverse and I can back out of my driveway (this only happens at home after the car has been sitting and is cold) and it doesn't do it again after work or wherever I go (I mostly back in now too.)

Is there anything I can do to try and mitigate this issue, maybe it's an issue with the reverse lockout or the gate itself? Should I take it into Hyundai before I gets worse? I've never once shifted into reverse while moving forward or shifting out of reverse into 1st while rolling back. I go the extra mile to try and not damage the trans besides double clutching lol, so I'm really at a loss other than to just take it in. Im hoping it's just a cable issue or something stupid, every other gear is fine, no grinds, not anything out of the ordinary, I don't beat on it or drive it hard when it's cold. Really bothering me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It sounds like your transmission is just fussy. Reverse is not synchro geared, so if the gears are just in the right (wrong) alignment, it won't go in. It happens to me every once in a while. However. It getting worse is an indicator that something is getting worn. If they grind, they lose their triangular tips on the serrations and could make it more difficult to line up. One diagnosis I would attempt is to drain the trans oil to see if there are any metal shavings or chunks of gears in there. If not, then it could be (with my minimal trans knowledge) that your trans oil is contaminated or wearing down, and needs to be changed. Run this by other people before you take the oil out on my suggestion though.

Reactions: misnblu

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
The change interval is 60k but nothing wrong with changing it early.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So while we are talking fluid change... what do you guys use? Only the dealer sells 75w85 in my area. My other options are all in the 75w80 category. Whats your thoughts?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
i am using redline mt-85.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nobody sells Redline in my area... So I got myself the dealership stuff. I took three pints (well, 1L bottles). For those who have changed their oil, all said and done, how much goes in the case?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
1.9L or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think you will get anyone who will have a photo of this. The transmission is considered by the dealership a non serviceable part. I don't recall seeing any on here wanting to remove it for any reason either.

I'm curious as to why you are looking to replace it ... Does yours stick slightly when passing from 1/2 horizontal space to 3/4/N ? I've always had that happen, and I've always wondered is it a defect or is it a mechanism that helps stay in the proper alignment when shifting from 1 to 2.

* EDIT * even though I didn't submit it yet lol...

Look at this https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/pa...ar_shift_control_manual.html?diagram=43437B11

It should have pretty much all the information you need. I'm still curious why you need this!
because this is where the trouble with my tranny seems to be. When I loosened this piece I was able to manually move the gears. But I did not take it right off because I am not sure what is underneath it. I like to know how things work before I take them apart. Be my luck to take the top off and a handful of springs pop out of the engine :) I also saw a gasket so it has tranny fluid under there. So I just wanted to get a picture to see what is under the before I take it off.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wanted to get the service manual Pages for this part, but the dealer said they don't exist. I have a 1200 page service manual for our car, and nothing in there about the transmission internals.

I took a chance. Get yourself some 1 minute black RTV ( Permatex "the right stuff"), a razor blade to clean the old RTV off. Five 12mm bike later, get a screwdriver, and pry the part up on the right (your right when looking into the engine bay, so drivers side). Once the old seal is broken, the part pulls straight up and out. When you look at the internals in the case, you'll see how easily it all goes back together. Don't forget to put a touch of antiseize on the bolts. It comes from factory with the grey stuff.

The detent that causes my issue is one of the two that keeps in the vertical channel on the shaft. There is pitting in the channel where the ball bearing presses. I should change monté soon, do I'll do photos that time around.

·
Registered
'13 Turbo 6MT
48 Posts
So, on to the next thing about my '13 VT 6MT.

It feels like the clutch is getting very marginal; sometimes grinds its way into reverse if it's been sitting for a while, and it seems to require a lot of effort to change gears. I know from personal experience (both my previous cars had some form of clutch issue at some point) that these can be symptoms of fluid getting low, however I checked the reservoir and it's about exactly halfway between minimum and maximum.

Assuming I need a new clutch at this point; can anyone recommend a good upgrade to go with a stock engine which will be getting at least bolt-ons in the near future?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,559 Posts
kdmtuners has what you are looking for.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts