Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything pertaining to the 6 Speed manual transmission will be discussed here. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
yeah can't wait to get feedback in this thread specially for the newbies to MT like me.. I don't know jack about driving a MT since I have only taking a friends car here and there for rides and that was 11 years ago :) . Soon when my V gets around the FL area I will be asking lots of question here..(maybe not lets see)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love driving MT and would never get a car really unless is was MT. I have driven a lot of manuals even a botch civic swap job from auto to manual (YEAH!!!) that was a nightmare to anyone who tried to drive it haha. After that car, any manual is easy. Any questions or concerns, feel free to ask

I have also driven the veloster manual a lot (still don't have mine yet) and have compared it to other cars. My verdict is:

Clutch: super soft but very receptive
Engage point: very natural and very hard to miss
Shifter: extremely smooth and throws are surprisingly short and quick
Redline shifts: easy. really smooth and easy. i like it way better than trying to redline a DCT lol
Start from stop: barely have to press the gas (started it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd believe it or not)

All in all, I love the way this manual tranny is set up. I know there will be people who aren't as impressed as me, but jadehawk, this is probably one of the easier cars to learn and be confident in driving manual in (besides volkswagen...their MT is unreal lol)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The gearing on this MT is set up way way differently from my other cars. On my BMW, 2nd and especially 3rd pull a LOT longer. 3rd is good for at least 85 on the Bimmer. On my CRX (the car the V is replacing) I stay in 2nd a long time, because if you short shift it, you've got no prayer of building any speed in 3rd.

The Veloster seems to be geared in such as way as to encourage you to get to at LEAST 4th to do any cruising. I find myself winding up 2nd a little more and just skipping 3rd altogether.

Clutch feels really nice, and I like that it's light so if you're stuck in traffic, it won't be a beating. The BMW gets to be a workout in heavy traffic.

The gear lever feels pretty good, but the difference between 2 and 4 is sometimes hard to feel. I don't think I'm going to money shift it, but if I did, it wouldn't be shocking.

I might try to teach the wife to drive stick in this car. We tried once in the CRX but she didn't do so well. Of course, she's got no idea what's actually going on in the transmission, so she doesn't really understand why you NEED a clutch and whatnot. I tried to explain it but got "BORING!!!" pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I came from a VW, so I was probably spoiled by their trannies, yet I find the V to be very smooth. I agree with sokudo that this car is probably one of the easiest to learn on. The 'notchiness' will help to make sure you stick that lever in the right gear. (thats what she said!).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anyone else have any sort of lurching or hesitation between 1 and 2? Not mechanical, it's obviously the ECU getting confused...

·
Registered
386 Posts
ive been driving manual trannies all my life. im really pleased with the setup in the V. i think the driving position helps immensely. i love the seating position relative to the shifter. the throws are shorter than i expected in this car, which is great.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
love driving the manual...its really slick...even my wife likes how it shifts.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Simply put, this is the smoothest 6 speed i have ever driven. where the engine lacks, the manual transmission delivers.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Anyone else have any sort of lurching or hesitation between 1 and 2? Not mechanical, it's obviously the ECU getting confused...
There is a hesitation feeding gas when shifting from 1 to 2. In addition I do notice lurching in 2 with rpm between 1500 and 2500 with light to moderate throttle. It's as if the ECU is controlling the engine differently in 2nd gear. The lurching and hesitation is not present in any other gear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the same issues on the manual I drove. I was already planning on getting a DCT anyway, so it didn't affect what car I bought, but it was not a smooth shifting car between 1 and 2. The rest of the shifts were ok, but lacked an engaging feeling and were quite mushy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a hesitation feeding gas when shifting from 1 to 2. In addition I do notice lurching in 2 with rpm between 1500 and 2500 with light to moderate throttle. It's as if the ECU is controlling the engine differently in 2nd gear. The lurching and hesitation is not present in any other gear.
is this fixable? or just learning how to drive around the system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issues on the manual I drove. I was already planning on getting a DCT anyway, so it didn't affect what car I bought, but it was not a smooth shifting car between 1 and 2. The rest of the shifts were ok, but lacked an engaging feeling and were quite mushy.
Exactly the same happens to me!!! :mad:
I had my Veloster 2 Days ago. I bought it thinking that 138 HP should be enough. I had in the past cars with 110 HP that were definitely more responsive. I was wondering if may be some ECO function is activated on the ECU even when my car does not have the "ECO ON Button" because i bought the car just with the Style Package, I did not get the Tech package.
Does anyone know how to solve this? I hope someone from Hyundai reads the forum and come up with a software update soon...
I also have this hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Turn off the traction control also. It seems to lag with it on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree. It's an excellent one! I had never driven a Hyundai with an even passable manual before (my '97 Tiburon was so mushy and vague and the 2009 Accent I drove was similar). I was beginning to think they didn't know how. Wrong!

I don't know if others have noted it, but I **LOVE** the actual shape of the knob and how it fits into your hand. I have never held one like it, and I think it feels like a million bucks. One of my favorite aspects of the car's design.

Reactions: Nova

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife's BMW is the same way, for me anyway, between 1st and 2nd. The solution seems to be to let the revs climb in 1st before shifting to 2nd. Really smooths out the change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody else wish the little knob you pull up on to put it in Reverse was the actual clutch?

For me anyway, that would be SWEET.

Overall, I love the car, but there seems to be a lot of dead space/slop in the accelerator and clutch. That is to say, it seems you have to push them a pretty good distance before they actually DO anything. I feel compelled to move my seat closer forward so that shifting will be more natural since I have to push the clutch so far in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yes i have and i hve no clue. i put a SRI on it and its not as bad, but very noticable.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
For me the lurch is most prominent in second gear and under 3k rpm, but it is also present in 1st and 3rd. Other's have mentioned that it may be due to the switch of the intake runners at 2k rpm, but I'm beginning to believe it's more the way the engine behaves under light load. It could be related to tuning for low emissions and / or methods to achieve higher gas mileage. I am going to ask my dealer to look into it. If enough of us report it, hopefully Hyundai will come up with a tweak to smooth it out.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts