Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VT Community:

I've spent the past couple hours reading up on community suggestions for non-turbo VT air intakes but I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for. I've had my '12 manual VT (100% stock) for a little over a year now and I'm disappointed with the overall power and torque of the little 1.6. I've been able to compensate by getting better at shifting but I've come to the point where that can only take me so far. I'm particularly disappointed with merging acceleration and being able to pass cars on 2-lane roads so I'm finally getting around to upgrading the air intake since that seems like the most logical first step for a bump in performance.

I've read numerous posts about CAI's and SRI's but many of them are focused on the sounds produced instead of the increase in performance. Some serious members have posted dyno results but their intakes are way out of my price range and I'm sure their VT's also have more mods than I have fingers & toes...

I have several critical criteria that I'd like to meet with a new intake:
1. Inexpensive - less than $100 would be ideal
2. Noticeable performance increase
3. Easy to install (don't want to remove the bumper or tire)
4. Intake that won't suck up water (this is my daily driver - I live in CO so rain isn't too common but we spray MgCl for snow and I don't want that in my engine)
5. Fuel efficiency (don't want to decrease 36mpg all that much)

Also, which system should I consider - CAI or SRI? Which will give me the best performance boost with the above met criteria?

I saw someone posted about this inexpensive SRI which is quite tempting for me: BCP Blue SRI
Any votes for/against this particular unit? I believe it meets my criteria above assuming there is a performance increase.

Thank you guys for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
throw that ebay intake out of your head.

since you have a non turbo veloster you are gonna have to suck it up and realize an intake won't do much in performance anyways. but...

Sri over Cai

go get a k & n typhoon intake. you'll pay a little bit more for it but it should hit most of your requirements.

happy modding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
throw that ebay intake out of your head.

since you have a non turbo veloster you are gonna have to suck it up and realize an intake won't do much in performance anyways. but...

Sri over Cai

go get a k & n typhoon intake. you'll pay a little bit more for it but it should hit most of your requirements.

happy modding.
Yeah I realize not much can really be done but maybe theres something else I could do that would actually make a difference if an intake won't do what I want? Maybe a combination of things?

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
That Ebay one you posted is similar to the old import shark design that I used to have which was just a noise maker. Under $100 you won't be able to get anything of quality that will make a difference unless you find someone selling one here on the forum in the classifieds section and even then, the quality ones will be > $100.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Yeah I realize not much can really be done but maybe theres something else I could do that would actually make a difference if an intake won't do what I want? Maybe a combination of things?

unfortunately any combination you do on a nav is like putting lipstick on a pig.

get the k and n and be happy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had to read this entire thread to figure out you have a NAV because you kept referring to it as a non-turbo VT

Sounds like Rodney and his turbo delete

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I had to read this entire thread to figure out you have a NAV because you kept referring to it as a non-turbo VT

Sounds like Rodney and his turbo delete
easy junior leave Rodney's nav alone.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
unfortunately any combination you do on a nav is like putting lipstick on a pig.

get the k and n and be happy.
K&N is not great, get the turbokits CAI. its much better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tk cai

If your undecided still, I have a Turbo Kits C.A.I. that I had on my 2012 NAV. (Dyno proven 10 hp. increase) For Sale if interested.
I recently upgraded to a 2016 Turbo and this cai does not fit the Turbo model. I'm checking on whether the A.B.E. (axle back exhaust) will fit once my hand can turn a wrench (recent surgery). If it swaps over all the better cuz it's well broken in. If not, that will be up for sale too.

RayT
:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
UPDATE: TurboKits AxleBack Exhaust for the NAV will not swap over to the Turbo. pipe size difference; NAV has 2" o.d. Turbo has 2 3/8" o.d. Flange size and angle different between the two cars. Guess I'll be selling both C.A.I. & A.B.E. :( and start quest for those updates for Turbo

RayT

·
Registered
247 Posts
Must concur with RayT2, I have been using the turbokits CAI for quite some time and added a 2.5 inch engine back custom exhaust for a combined 14 wheel hp increase over stock and I have the slapstick auto trans! I have installed over six of these kits locally when they first hit the market and they can be installed without removing the front bumper. I posted a lot of info about this back in 2013 and have photos in my garage of the mods. Do a search. As for water suck up, not a problem and I'm talking flooded streets in S Fla! The design of the air filter allows for slow speed air intake thru the upper side of the air box and when needed for speed the lower tuned pipe really adds power and torque at the top end of the power curve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Must concur with RayT2, I have been using the turbokits CAI for quite some time and added a 2.5 inch engine back custom exhaust for a combined 14 wheel hp increase over stock and I have the slapstick auto trans! I have installed over six of these kits locally when they first hit the market and they can be installed without removing the front bumper. I posted a lot of info about this back in 2013 and have photos in my garage of the mods. Do a search. As for water suck up, not a problem and I'm talking flooded streets in S Fla! The design of the air filter allows for slow speed air intake thru the upper side of the air box and when needed for speed the lower tuned pipe really adds power and torque at the top end of the power curve.
What is the better size in a cai for the non turbo version 2" 2.5 2.75 or 3 ? Im new here thank you very much!!!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
2.5 would be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im interested. How much and which city do live in.
UPDATE: TurboKits AxleBack Exhaust for the NAV will not swap over to the Turbo. pipe size difference; NAV has 2" o.d. Turbo has 2 3/8" o.d. Flange size and angle different between the two cars. Guess I'll be selling both C.A.I. & A.B.E. :( and start quest for those updates for Turbo

RayT
How much. I need.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
It’s been years. Probably won’t get a response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts