Veloster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie to Hyundai's and need some help. My son just bought a 2016 n/a that runs but very rough and no power. Checked compression and #2 was not registering. The other three were 150+psi. Pulled the intake and nothing looked too bad so I sprayed a little thin fogging oil on the #2 intake valves and hooked my compressor to the spark plug hole and both valves leak so much they look like they are boiling. Tried cyl #1 and boils too, just not as bad.

At this point, I thought the timing chain had skipped a tooth and bent the valves so I set the crank to 0 to check the timing. Exhaust looks good but no mark to be found on the intake. (See Pics below). From the position of the other markings on the front of the cam it looks to be in place. I used alcohol and a rag to clean the pulleys.

So what else could be causing the leaking? Should I just swap to a used head and move on?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Brad

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Saw Automotive design Vehicle brake Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Rim Alloy wheel

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
you obviously have some sort if idea what you're doing... valves shouldnt allow any air to escape. i would pull and have the head reworked or replace with a used one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RPW00Mirage. I think that's where we're heading!

So, I cleaned the valves as much as possible and they still leak. Funny thing is that if I tap on the tappets for a cyl a few times (with a wooden dowel) then retest they seemed to get much better but when I rotate the engine and let them open and close slowly they got worse again. This makes me think they are not bent, just leaking. Nothing is white so I'm not thinking burnt.

So reassembled and ran a can of that fancy timed STP intake cleaner thru while holding 2500RPM then took it for a drive. Maybe a little better but still idles at like 500RPM and has NO throttle response regardless of whether it's in gear or not. Also gives me the error codes P0300-P0304 so misfire on ALL cylinders. I took a couple videos of hitting full throttle in park and drive (see below). If anyone has any further advice it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If TikTok has taught me anything, it's taught me that this is where I say "It ain't got no gas in it". Not even gonna mess with this head, buying a used one and starting there. :(

Automotive tire Architecture Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
is that one in cyl2 chipped? whoops!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts