Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a brand new 2019 2.0 Base Model Veloster and I couldn't be happier, that is until I started wanting to modify the car. All of my buddies tell me to swap the 2.0 for the 1.6 and get my turbo that way, BUT, what I would LIKE to do is turbo the 2.0 instead of doing a motor swap. My question is, IF i wanted to boost the 2.0, where in gods name do I find a turbo kit for that? Or am I looking at custom fabrication?

·
weekend racer
7,227 Posts
Welcome to the club!

There is currently no path to upgrade the 2.0 motor to a turbo unless it's completely and totally custom. and to that point, you would have spent less money getting the turbo model.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just had a lady from a local custom shop tell me that I have 2 options:

Wait until they release turbo kit for the 2.0 (if they even plan on it)

Or a custom turbo kit
(Which she quoted me $125 an hour for the turbo itself, downpiping, manifold and intercooling..) I'm married with 4 kids lol I can't afford that kind of custom work.

Or a 3rd option would be just swapping the 2.0 for the 1.6

So that brings me to another question..
Am I going to HAVE to swap my trans out if I do a 1.6 swap? Dont get me wrong, I love stick shifts but I want to keep my automatic feature. So is it even possible to motor swap without going Manual?

I feel like I need to inform you guys as well, I'm a store manager of Take 5 Oil Change and I've worked on cars my entire life but i never jumped into modifying or upgrading cars. My knowledge is on preventative maintenance and repairs. I've never swapped motors or even put a turbo on a car. This is my 1st time doing this and I'm terrified lol i have a group of guys that know what they're doing and they've already said they'll help but i need Veloster wisdom (hence why I'm now part of the forum)

So far the ONLY thing I've done to my car is take the bolt on muffler off. Lol

My plans are the following:

Suspension kit (lowering 1 1/2)
Air intake
Rims and tires
Backseat delete and roll cage
Sparco seats and harness
Spoiler and body kit (which I'm even more terrified to do because I've never CUT into a car. Ever.)
Blacked out head and tail lights
Debating on a steering wheel swap
Megan racing exhaust
Turbocharging (if applicable)

So yeah. There's a lot I want to do and I just want to make sure I do it right and I have a sexy clean Veloster when I'm done.

By the way, I'm happy to be here! I have always wanted one of these cars and now that I have one, all I wanna do is make it faster, lower and louder lol

·
weekend racer
7,227 Posts
most of your questions are currently unknowns unfortunately. it's really too soon to make any real determinations. in 2012 when the veloster first came out nobody had any idea that there would be a turbo model following so they made lots of mods for the non turbo.

i myself am familiar to swaps... 4efte into a tercel, 4g63 and 4g93 into mirages, and an easier drop in swap in my old kia.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm...maybe patience is the only thing I'll need to get then. As far as boosting it goes. I can throw aftermarket everything else on it throughout the year until they either release a turbo kit for the 2.0 or swapping the 2.0 for the 1.6 turbo. As long as doing the swap means keeping it automatic that is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow... that's quite a list you have. LOL... as to a turbo.... I know the N is turbocharged but that's fully manual and I'm not sure if it's the exact same motor as what you have there. So.... opting to find a totaled N and pulling the turbocharger off of it is an unsure thing at best as you would have to grab the ECM as well.... and that may have NO controls programmed in for your trans.

I would start with everything you want to do other than the turbo performance wise.... and see if that doesn't give you enough kick. I know my 2013 NAV whilst not a rocket (it was a manual trans which helped the 1.6 IMHO) an intake and exhaust gave it just enough to make it that little bit better. Nothing at all like my 19 R Spec.... but that's a whole other ball game for sure.

Good luck and welcome aboard! Also, the 2.0 is still in it's infancy... I'm sure the aftermarket is just getting started mod-wise!

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh that's the plan! I'm gonna do EVERYTHING to it first and basically save boosting for dead last so HOPEFULLY by that time, I'll have a kit I can just drop in it. Baby steps! Hahaha

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: She is now debadged, the backseat AND rear wiper blade are deleted. Muffler is gone and the taillights are now smoked. She sounds so much better and looks so good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check with the guys at KDMTuners and SxthElement as well.
These guys are at the forefront of the N model and may have some legitimate answers to your questions about using your existing block and running N spec intervals for your boost needs.
Good luck with your modding endeavors. ???

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Welcome, MrRiddle. I hate mods in general but I understand them. But not on a brand new car! After the warranty runs out, then okay. AND modding to a turbo when there already turbo's available? Nah. But, enjoy your ride, make it your own, and don't listen to anything I say!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very nice.
Are you going to make the corner vents actually functional? They actually become functional once opened up. ?
Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 NAV (Jenny)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes! I found carbon fiber air ducts on CarId that'll make it look so good but also serve a purpose. I'm basically knocking out all the free **** first, then doing the cheaper mods and finishing up the car with the more pricier mods. Like boosting it will be last. But soon I'm gonna throw an air intake on her along with brakes and racing seats. I have 4 kids so I have to budget my car mods towards the end of the priority list hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts