Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
VT 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For context: This is my first car, I'm freshly 18, and I know genuinely nothing about Cars but I am super interested and currently learning.

I put a TurboXS BoV on the other day, and followed up by putting a Spectre Air Filter. Something I know I want to do is remove the Catalytic Converter. Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy and exact fitted pipe made the Velosters.
I apologize if anything I said seemed wrong, I really am new to this.
Thank you

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
The piece you're looking for is called a "test pipe" and will throw a code if you dont run a defouler.

Is there any reason you want to delete the cat? It probably wouldn't net much power for the price

·
Registered
VT 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The piece you're looking for is called a "test pipe" and will throw a code if you dont run a defouler.

Is there any reason you want to delete the cat? It probably wouldn't net much power for the price
Honestly, My uncle is a really into cars, he owned a stealth twin turbo when I was much younger. So He's been telling me "Do this (insert)" and I'll do it, i think he's mainly telling me to do it so I learn more about how to work on cars and get into more. Like putting on the new BoV took me 5 hours, but I learned alot. He did tell me that it would make the turbo feel like smoother because more air was getting out or something of the sort.
I mainly wanna do it just to learn however

·
Registered
940 Posts
Make sure he will warranty all the things you do to your VT because of his suggestions.

It's so east to say "do this" or "do that" but then what happens when things "blow up" ??

What's he gonna say then ???

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
Blindly letting your uncle spend your money for you is foolish. Slapping random parts on your car is expensive and can cause more expensive damage.

I've built drift cars, rock climbers, a drag car and even a few hypermiler cars and all i can say about learning cars is research the hell out of things before spending money. People will swear up and down on stupid stuff that doesn't actually work (electric turbos, mega grounding kits, hydrogen generators, etc.

Recommendation for upgrades to your car
1st suspension and handling upgrades, it's a mistake to dump a ton of power into it only to scrub all the power through the tires.
2nd some power upgrades, velosters aren't high powered cars even with turbos. Figure out what a real hp expectation would be for your car.
3rd quality of life upgrades (seat warmers, better speakers, sew on steering wheel alcantra or leather cover) things that make the car more comfortable.

If it sounds ranty it's because i read a dozen new threads like this everyday across NASIOC, north american motoring, vwvortex and here.

·
Registered
VT 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blindly letting your uncle spend your money for you is foolish. Slapping random parts on your car is expensive and can cause more expensive damage.

I've built drift cars, rock climbers, a drag car and even a few hypermiler cars and all i can say about learning cars is research the hell out of things before spending money. People will swear up and down on stupid stuff that doesn't actually work (electric turbos, mega grounding kits, hydrogen generators, etc.

Recommendation for upgrades to your car
1st suspension and handling upgrades, it's a mistake to dump a ton of power into it only to scrub all the power through the tires.
2nd some power upgrades, velosters aren't high powered cars even with turbos. Figure out what a real hp expectation would be for your car.
3rd quality of life upgrades (seat warmers, better speakers, sew on steering wheel alcantra or leather cover) things that make the car more comfortable.

If it sounds ranty it's because i read a dozen new threads like this everyday across NASIOC, north american motoring, vwvortex and here.
I got you, Appreciate it man

·
Registered
8 Posts
PLEASE don't delete the cat, not on these cars. It will smell very bad, and allow a ton of pollutants into the air you breathe and others around you (bad for kids, pets, etc), throws a CEL, won't pass inspections, and power is only compromised by a few horsepower compared to a High Flow Cat attached to an actual downpipe. Your best bet is to get a solid, full elbow downpipe (pierce v2, sxth element are the best in my opinion) with a high flow cat if you plan to drive on the street.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There's only 15 states that require inspections currently and the measurable pollution variation on cars under 2L (unmodified otherwise) is so small a single tuned truck puts out over 30 times the offset. (Research from my mechanical engineering dissertation paper referencing epa, manufacturer's published data and a few 3rd party studies). High flow cats dont actually catch much pollution either, it's a legal loophole...

But correct it wont produce much of any power and if you've never been around a car made before 1999 i guess it smells bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts