Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the home finance committee (wife) has cleared me to pursue a purchase of a 2016-17 Veloster Turbo. It will be a weekend run around, mountain carving type vehicle, maybe even some track days at MIchelin Raceway at Road Atlanta.

Question for the community:
Should I spend the extra $$ for the R Spec or will the capabilities of the turbo suffice?

-Rick

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know about the Gen 1's, but the new ones the R-spec is the cheapest of the Turbo models. Think of it as all of the performance bits but without all of the comfort goodies (sun roof, leather, entertainment).

The R-spec has the same HP and performance numbers as all of the turbo models.

Can you swing a Gen 2? You'll be much better off with a Gen 2 R-spec if you want to track it. I got mine for $21,000 December 2018. You can get them for less now. Plus you get deals now with the pandemic and a warranty.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
the 17 will be the best of the 1G as it has all the updates that occurred during the years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2020 R-Spec is the best pocket rocket I've ever had. Not sure if the older then is are 154hp.

It handles like a dream, the turn radius is crazy. I did 100mph on the test drive thinking I was doing 75mph.

Keep in mind that the Spec R only comes in manual. As a manual driver getting used to the turbo for the first time it's a little odd trying to keep the revs up and keeping the turbo going but it's fun as hell and I thoroughly recommend you get the R spec with the new warranty.
I think the old ones might only have 154 horsepower where the new R-Spec has 200 which is planning for that little pocket rocket.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
there is no difference in power or torque between any of the veloster turbo models and model years. they all have 200/200 or 198/198 depending on your country/territory/etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well the home finance committee (wife) has cleared me to pursue a purchase of a 2016-17 Veloster Turbo. It will be a weekend run around, mountain carving type vehicle, maybe even some track days at MIchelin Raceway at Road Atlanta.

Question for the community:
Should I spend the extra $$ for the R Spec or will the capabilities of the turbo suffice?

-Rick
Sorry about your finance committee.

1st things 1st w/ pics...
Just bought my 2017 on Tuesday, I just went with the Turbo, its my first vehicle ive owned been driving an 03 Mustang for 7 years, and have been looking at these for quite some time, I live in Denton, TX, so for Dallas driving I went with an automatic and I personally wanted the none R-Spec because I personally wanted the sun roof which doesn't come with the R-Spec but back to your question if you should spend the extra money I think that's just a personal preference, loving my 2017 bought for 16,500$ with less than 17,000 miles on the odometer now sitting at 17,003... good luck in your decision but I think youd be perfectly happy with how the standard turbo performs car just wants to go... hope you make the right decision let us know what you decide! Thanks - Pierce (Pacific Blue 2017 Veloster Turbo owner)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also just bought a 16 turbo. I did look at a 16 r spec that was a thousand dollars more than the one I bought. The R spec had a few more miles than the car I bought. plus I got heated seats which will be nice in the New England winter. I dont get why dealers are selling the R spec more than a regular turbo. What I read was the only difference is that you get stiffer suspension and tighter steering. You lose quite a lil features with it. I did like the red seats and red seatbelts tho. I'm happy with the choice I made.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
the differences are marginal on the 1G, the r-spec is a cheaper model not sure why it is selling for more - sounds like a dealer just trying to bait based upon the nameplate. you get the shitty red style seats but better shifter and "programmable" steering in the R. nothing else. it's basically a stripped out base turbo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know so much about the G1 R Spec but owning a G2 I gotta say... it's a great value if you can snag one. Maybe a 2019 certified may be within reach. They new R Spec has an "Overboost" in "Sport" mode that's pretty damn impressive. I've seen my trac control flash all the way up in to 3rd gear. As to your twisty carving, the difference between torsion beam and fully independent rear suspension would be marked as well!

Good luck with which ever you end up procuring and WELCOME to the FRAY!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts