Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scheduled an appointment to pick up my 2015 Hyundai Veloster reflex today. Although I’m excited for all the features that come with the car, one concern I have is the performance of the vehicle. Specifically the speed. I drive a 2003 Jeep Wrangler right now and obviously it’s incredibly slow. But I’m reading a lot on the performance and speed of the Veloster seems to lack in some key areas. My main question is will I be able to accelerate faster than in my Jeep and will I will be able to make it up a hill without hitting 4-5 rpm’s in the Veloster. I haven’t test driven one yet but based on the forums, im a little nervous there won’t be much of an upgrade from the driving performances of the Jeep to the Veloster.

·
Registered
756 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. The non-turbo Veloster is not a sports car but it's not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

You didn't say if your Jeep had the 2.4L 4-cyl or the 4.0 6-cyl but I'll assume it had the 190-hp 6. So about 190-hp with almost 4000 pounds. I think the 0-60 times were in the 9-10 second range

The 2015 NA Veloster only has 132-hp but also only weights about 2600 pounds. 0-60 times are in the 7-8 second range.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Welcome, mtmalachi! It's maybe too late to be concerned about the acceleration? Let me put it this way. When I got my 2012, and I was one of the first, my heart sank when I stepped on the gas and went no where! This was after driving a Nissan Versa which jumped when you stepped on the gas! A couple of software updates later, it was somewhat improved. I share this only because you MIGHT want to be careful at first. I'll hope your 2015 is faster than my 2012. Let us know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, welcome to the forum. The non-turbo Veloster is not a sports car but it's not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

You didn't say if your Jeep had the 2.4L 4-cyl or the 4.0 6-cyl but I'll assume it had the 190-hp 6. So about 190-hp with almost 4000 pounds. I think the 0-60 times were in the 9-10 second range

The 2015 NA Veloster only has 132-hp but also only weights about 2600 pounds. 0-60 times are in the 7-8 second range.
Yes it is the 4.0! I certainly won’t be racing or taking corners like I’m in a rally cross time trial but I also don’t want to struggle to get up a hill or pass a slower vehicle on the freeway either. In the Jeep I had a lot of trouble with that.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes it is the 4.0! I certainly won’t be racing or taking corners like I’m in a rally cross time trial but I also don’t want to struggle to get up a hill or pass a slower vehicle on the freeway either. In the Jeep I had a lot of trouble with that.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the NA Veloster coming from a Jeep. Again, the NAV isn't the fastest car on the road but its light weight make it feel spry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts