Veloster Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Thanks for taking the time to read this. I purchased a 2013 Veloster in April of this year, and I effing LOVE this car! I had no issues with it at all, until tonight. I got the dreaded "Pull over when safe - car in protection mode" and per my little bit of research on this site, Its something called a DCT (haven't had a chance to look into that) and that I should be having some dealer time.
It is on it's way to the dealership from where it was purchased. However, they told me they dont have the correct diagnostic tools to look into it (they can use what they have, but it would be a limited diagnosis, they said) and would need to tow my car to a Hyundai dealership in the nearest city to me (roughly 50 miles away).
I guess I just want to ask what others experiences with this was like. Should I give up right away (I saw a thread where a guy spent thousands and thousands of dollars) or can it really be just a sensor (another post said not to fret, and that the likelihood of it being the transmission itself is ruined is low)

-Saddened in IA

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
It's a dual clutch transmission or DCT as it's called and is operated by the TCM or transmission control module.
The module is all electronic with some oids for each gear that actuates the different gears to make the car drive.

Solenoids dont last forever. 馃し
The TCM isn't hard to replace but does take a particular diagnostic tool to operate the module for troubleshooting purposes.

Depending on the miles on your car could determine the need for another TCM.
Grounding of the car is crucial as well got the electronics to communicate so If have the grounds checked for good metal to metal connections under the hood and to the pcm.

We're there any codes?
Check engine light come on?
Don't lose hope and remember that you bought a car that is 9 years old. Previous driver or driver's could have beat the snot out of it before you got it. 馃槈
Good luck.

Registered
Interesting there were no codes. 馃
So it may be something different than the DCT. 馃え
It could be anything so let the dealership check it out and see what they can come up with.

Hopefully they'll steer you right and be honest with their evaluation of the car. 馃檹
It'd be great if it were just a sime ground connection. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting there were no codes. 馃
So it may be something different than the DCT. 馃え
It could be anything so let the dealership check it out and see what they can come up with.

Hopefully they'll steer you right and be honest with their evaluation of the car. 馃檹
It'd be great if it were just a sime ground connection. 馃
Well, no codes because this just happened last night and hasn't been hooked up to a machine yet. Sorry for not clarifying that!!

Registered
Well, no codes because this just happened last night and hasn't been hooked up to a machine yet. Sorry for not clarifying that!!
Codes will only show, unless they're hidden codes, unless the check engine light comes on.

But we're it me I'd have done an ECU reset in the spot to see if that cleared anything hidden causing a problem.

ECU reset is a disconnect if the ground cable from the battery, holding the brakes for 30 seconds, and recin texting said ground.

Crank it up and see what she does.
If you're new to the car scene there a ton to learn and again hope it's nothing serious.
May not be so bad by the sounds of it.

Keep us updated on this. 馃檹

Registered
My only comment about this problem you're having is: Get a loaner because reports of the car being kept months on end is rampant and trying to get a loaner after the fact is very difficult.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only comment about this problem you're having is: Get a loaner because reports of the car being kept months on end is rampant and trying to get a loaner after the fact is very difficult.
I suppose all I can do is hope that this isn't the case in my situation. Why, oh WHY did I have to be lured in by all of the amazing things about this car (aesthetics, performance etc) and NOT consider that an issue like this would be time and money consuming!?
Keeping in mind, this is the first car I purchased with a bank loan, and every other car I owned up until now has been a domestic one, that I was able to work on (predominately) on my own. (My dad would be so proud of me for choosing a foreign car!) <-- sarcasm
I'll keep people posted, if only to help educate any other owners who may have this come up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Codes will only show, unless they're hidden codes, unless the check engine light comes on.

But we're it me I'd have done an ECU reset in the spot to see if that cleared anything hidden causing a problem.

ECU reset is a disconnect if the ground cable from the battery, holding the brakes for 30 seconds, and recin texting said ground.

Crank it up and see what she does.
If you're new to the car scene there a ton to learn and again hope it's nothing serious.
May not be so bad by the sounds of it.

Keep us updated on this. 馃檹
I think my buddy told me about this on Friday night. He said I'd be able to drive for a few miles, and then it would go into limp mode again, and I'd have to repeat this numerous times, but I'd be able to get it home. My only qualm with this (if this is the same thing he was referring to) is that my car would be home, yes; but it would then be even further from the only Hyundai dealership in my area, not to mention the possible damage I could do to the car. If this is something else you're talking about, let me know, as my car is still at the original place from where it was purchased (again, they have to send it to Hyundai b/c they dont have the proper diagnostic tools) and they said I am more than welcome to come try out this technique (dude at dealership said he couldn't try that, b/c he didnt have the right tools????). I couldn't earlier, b/c I don't have a car to get there!! hahahahaha

Registered
The whole assumption of a car going into limp mode is there is something very wrong with the parameters of the functioning of the car.

This would spit out an engine code if it were actual limp mode.

Here is some good info on what I'm saying.

All these say the same thing about a check engine light in the case of an actual limp mode.
I've been building and working on cars since 2000 and do all the work myself so yeah I've been there and done that so I'm really not sure why this is being called a limo mode assessment.

No codes on the system means Hyundai won't be able to help you.
Hidden codes won't remain hidden in a situation of making the car go into limp mode.

For future reference I'd suggest you get a decent code reader for around $50 and learn how to use it while keeping it in the glovebox should any check engine light ever happen.

Also if you e worked on domestic cars and just now getting into imports there's really no difference in the cars.
All the same technologies are used for all cars and can be fixed whether foreign or domestic.

It also sounds to me the Hyundai techs seem to be a bit unconcerned or not caring what's wrong with the car. Maybe it's an issue they really aren't that capable of trouble shooting a car like we did in the old days and figure out what's wrong.

This is also why I have trust issues with service techs. Yeah they have a piece of paper with an ASE certification on it but that clearly doesn't mean they know what their doing unless a diagnostic tool tells them what's wrong and then they use a service manual to tell them what to do to fix the issue. 馃檮馃え

I still believe it's something simple and easily fixed as there's no codes or check engine light.
Guess we will see how this goes and done be disconcerted about buying the car and now having some issues with it.
It's fixable and you'll be right back driving the car once more.

Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The whole assumption of a car going into limp mode is there is something very wrong with the parameters of the functioning of the car.

This would spit out an engine code if it were actual limp mode.

Here is some good info on what I'm saying.

All these say the same thing about a check engine light in the case of an actual limp mode.
I've been building and working on cars since 2000 and do all the work myself so yeah I've been there and done that so I'm really not sure why this is being called a limo mode assessment.

No codes on the system means Hyundai won't be able to help you.
Hidden codes won't remain hidden in a situation of making the car go into limp mode.

For future reference I'd suggest you get a decent code reader for around $50 and learn how to use it while keeping it in the glovebox should any check engine light ever happen.

Also if you e worked on domestic cars and just now getting into imports there's really no difference in the cars.
All the same technologies are used for all cars and can be fixed whether foreign or domestic.

It also sounds to me the Hyundai techs seem to be a bit unconcerned or not caring what's wrong with the car. Maybe it's an issue they really aren't that capable of trouble shooting a car like we did in the old days and figure out what's wrong.

This is also why I have trust issues with service techs. Yeah they have a piece of paper with an ASE certification on it but that clearly doesn't mean they know what their doing unless a diagnostic tool tells them what's wrong and then they use a service manual to tell them what to do to fix the issue. 馃檮馃え

I still believe it's something simple and easily fixed as there's no codes or check engine light.
Guess we will see how this goes and done be disconcerted about buying the car and now having some issues with it.
It's fixable and you'll be right back driving the car once more.

Good luck
There aren't any codes, as it hasn't been put on a code reader as of yet. This just happened late friday night, it was taken to dealership where purchased, but they dont have the proper diagnostic tool. So it will be put on a flatbed tomorrow or the next day to be taken to a Hyundai dealership that does have the proper diagnostic tool. After that, we can see about the code situation. No check engine light came on at all, and the car gave me no indication that anything was going to happen (like issues with shifting, performance, etc)
Just to reiterate, the car has not yet made it to a Hyundai dealership for diagnosis.

The gentleman at the dealership where I purchased the car did try the removal of battery cable method previously suggested, and now the car wont go into reverse he said.

Registered
There aren't any codes, as it hasn't been put on a code reader as of yet. This just happened late friday night, it was taken to dealership where purchased, but they dont have the proper diagnostic tool. So it will be put on a flatbed tomorrow or the next day to be taken to a Hyundai dealership that does have the proper diagnostic tool. After that, we can see about the code situation. No check engine light came on at all, and the car gave me no indication that anything was going to happen (like issues with shifting, performance, etc)
Just to reiterate, the car has not yet made it to a Hyundai dealership for diagnosis.

The gentleman at the dealership where I purchased the car did try the removal of battery cable method previously suggested, and now the car wont go into reverse he said.
Check engine light equals a code. 馃槈

Hidden codes dont cause or are associated with limp mode only those codes that are serious enough to cause limp mode will illuminate the check engine light. 馃憤

Weak battery and or bad ground connections will cause issues described.
Hope you get it fixed soon.
Not having a car to drive is 馃槨馃様

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check engine light equals a code. 馃槈

Hidden codes dont cause or are associated with limp mode only those codes that are serious enough to cause limp mode will illuminate the check engine light. 馃憤

Weak battery and or bad ground connections will cause issues described.
Hope you get it fixed soon.
Not having a car to drive is 馃槨馃様
There was no check engine light either. Only the message on the center console screen. (telling me about protection mode and to pull over) This is the first car Ive had where there was no check engine light on!!!

Registered

Well by all this information I found you may very well have a transmission issue, TCM issue, or transmission range issue.

That's not good. 馃馃様
Any warranty on the car? 馃
I think now we have a better idea what all this means and what is needed for a fix.
Hyundai will certainly be needed for this and the repair.
Best of luck and keep us informed. With the holiday approaching service may be delayed. 馃樀鈥嶐煉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well by all this information I found you may very well have a transmission issue, TCM issue, or transmission range issue.

That's not good. 馃馃様
Any warranty on the car? 馃
I think now we have a better idea what all this means and what is needed for a fix.
Hyundai will certainly be needed for this and the repair.
Best of luck and keep us informed. With the holiday approaching service may be delayed. 馃樀鈥嶐煉
I will keep you informed as I get information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts