Veloster Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a great deal last November on a 2019 Sunburst 2.0 Veloster with only 1800 miles on it. Never seen a winter and I've only had it in the rain once. The Sunburst color is really nice. I don't drive it much and its up to 3400 miles. And now I have the first problem. I was backing out of the driveway and noticed a knocking sound in the steering wheel. Its in the shop now with a bad U joint. Wow, 3400 miles and that happened. I was hoping nobody would have to touch it for a long time but I was wrong. I love the car but this is making me a little nervous.
1125201257a - Copy (2).jpg

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
welcome to the club!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
819 Posts
So I got a great deal last November on a 2019 Sunburst 2.0 Veloster with only 1800 miles on it. Never seen a winter and I've only had it in the rain once. The Sunburst color is really nice. I don't drive it much and its up to 3400 miles. And now I have the first problem. I was backing out of the driveway and noticed a knocking sound in the steering wheel. Its in the shop now with a bad U joint. Wow, 3400 miles and that happened. I was hoping nobody would have to touch it for a long time but I was wrong. I love the car but this is making me a little nervous. View attachment 134513
There's no u-joints anywhere on a Veloster so not sure what this is being referred to. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔
It could be the steering column rubber joint gone bad but that should be something under warranty.
Don't let this deter your enjoyment of the car for sure and welcome to the forums. 👍😎

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no u-joints anywhere on a Veloster so not sure what this is being referred to. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔
It could be the steering column rubber joint gone bad but that should be something under warranty.
Don't let this deter your enjoyment of the car for sure and welcome to the forums. 👍😎
This is what the dealership told me. They have to dropship the part and I'll have it tomorrow. Yes it is under warranty and I'll get more info when I pick it up.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
indeed... the axles are called CV joints.

·
Registered
16 VT
1,215 Posts

Only thing i could think of.

Unbolt these all the time for dropping a rack or subframe sometimes.

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
528 Posts
Does that thing compress?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Dealer could not get the part from New Jersey, now they are trying Connecticut. It does look like its something in the steering column. The service person I talked to didn't know for sure but they will call me when its done. He did say that what failed baffled all the technician that it happened at 3400 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer called again to say more bad news. They installed the part they thought was no good and it was still making the knocking sound. They don't know what to do so they decided to just replace the whole steering column. Good thing its under warranty because now its getting expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my veloster back from the dealer today. After one week its all fixed and looking great. This is off the sheet. After replacing the inner mediate shaft a test drive was done and still had knocking noise. Contacted Techline and was told to isolate noise. Found noise was coming from inside Rack and Pinion. Replaced Rack and Pinion to correct and set Toe, retested noise GONE.
I'm happy! Everybody at the dealership was very nice. I'm back to enjoying my car.

·
Registered
16 VT
1,215 Posts
I know how it feels having a new car and all that work being done; I lose confidence, but you should be solid.

Glad you have a good dealership, that makes it all the better! drive on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts