Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Today I purchased a new holdover 2019 Elantra GT N-line 7DCT and am pursuing information on modifications, with the goal of making a competitive car in H Street. I’ve been searching hi and low for a vehicle that I can use for work to haul stuff, is locally competitive in SCCA street class, fun to drive, affordable and the hardest thing was that it couldn’t be manual because Inhave to trade vehicles with my wife from time to time. When the 2020 Forte GT was announce with independent rear suspension and a DCT, I got all excited. I had no idea the Elantra GT Sport/NLine already existed.
Anyway, we purchased one today with the tech and sport package. If anyone can link me to some builds or threads about autocross or Elantras with 1.6T I would appreciate it. I did some searching but nothing came up. I am interested in info on:catback exhaust or factory catback exhaust modifications, rear sway bar, wheels, and alignment information. Also interested in what parts gross over from other Hyundai or Kia products that may be interchangeable.

thanks

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
Welcome to the club! I am about in the same boat you are, street class for AX and TT you aren’t going to find many build threads out there that aren’t SP or ST.

I went with wheels 1 inch less diameter and 1/2 inch Wider than stock, added a pierce rear bar (he makes one that fits yours) upgraded pads and fluid, Re71r tires. Stock exhaust but K&N drop in filter
You can’t change geometry in street however you can put adjustables like koni in as long as they keep the same length overall.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the club! I am about in the same boat you are, street class for AX and TT you aren’t going to find many build threads out there that aren’t SP or ST.

I went with wheels 1 inch less diameter and 1/2 inch Wider than stock, added a pierce rear bar (he makes one that fits yours) upgraded pads and fluid, Re71r tires. Stock exhaust but K&N drop in filter
You can’t change geometry in street however you can put adjustables like koni in as long as they keep the same length overall.
Thanks for the welcome. I’m almost positive you are not allowed to use wider wheels than stock in street class.
Also, forgive my ignorance, but what are you flreferring to when you say SP OR ST?

·
Registered
291 Posts
SP is Street Prepared and ST is Street Touring. Classes with more upgrades allowed.

He said 1" less diameter. So he went from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. As did I.

Then I used 235/40/17 TIRES and got wider by 1cm and reduced O.D. by an inch. You CAN put any 200TW tires you want on legal wheels. Smaller overall diameter means faster acceleration. You might be able to tell that my tires look "undersized" in my picture below.

I also have the Pierce rear sway bar and upgraded pads and fluid.

You're not allowed to change camber in Street, but......... I did have Moog camber bolts in mine before I went crazy and changed to Street Touring Hatch.

I don't know what tires the Elantra comes with, but tires is the easiest and best place to start in making your car handle better.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said 1" less diameter. So went from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. As did I.

Then I used 235/40/17 TIRES and got wider by 1cm and reduced O.D. by an inch. Voila, faster acceleration.
I am aware that you can go smaller or larger diameter wheels by 1” and whatever tires you can fit.
It clearly says he went with 1/2” wider wheels. Which is not allowed in Street class.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What horsepower is that Elantra? If it is 201, I'm curious why it would be in H Street when the Veloster Turbo is G Street.

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
Well the veloster turbo comes with 18x7.5 wheels. I was running 17x7 wheels and recently picked up 17x7.5.

sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, the Elantra GT N-line is 201hp. So I'm confused why it would be in H Street. Frankly, if you truly are in H, you should clean up.

My number one suggestion is to keep those heavy ass wheels and all-season tires for winter and get some lightweight racing wheels (like the Enkei RPF1s) and good quality 200TW tires. The Bridgestone RE71Rs are good, but RPW00Mirage wishes he had the Falken Azenis RT660's now I'm sure...

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
The Bridgestone RE71Rs are good, but RPW00Mirage wishes he had the Falken Azenis RT660's now I'm sure...
Hahaha nope! However I am considering the new advans for next year :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Open diff? More weight?
More than likely, the SCCA just doesn't know what they are dealing with and will take a year or so to catch up.

For example, the Tesla Model 3 Performance was in B Street last year and smoked everything. Not anymore, now it is in Super Street (SS) and competes with high end Porsches and the like. It may still win, but not by seconds.

The Elantra GT Turbo N-line should be every bit as good as my Veloster. If it stays in H Street next year, it will be a winner!

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have figured out why potentially. According to some people on a Facebook group, there is a terribly debilitating stability control that cannot be turned off. If you lift a rear tire, the car will go into limp mode. Only way to turn it off with to remove ABS relay/ fuse which 1 I don’t think is legal in street class and 2 the brakes are unmanageable without ABS. Is this a problem with the veloster turbo?

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
Not a problem with My older VT. I push the button reaction and stability is off. Lifting wheels don’t matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts