Veloster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here, Wife just bought a 2013 turbo a couple months ago. A few days ago it started running really bad, would fall on its face when giving it gas. No CEL at the time but after I took it for a drive to see what was going on after mashing the gas a few times the CEL came on with a code of P0106 which shows MAP sensor faulty. It also showed P299 for a turbo issue from my understanding caused my the MAP. Anyhow, I changed out the MAP and cleared the codes. It’s still running the same but throwing only the P0106 code now. It seems to run fine up to about 30mph under normal acceleration and then that’s when the problems start, the rpms keep going up but the speedo doesn’t move. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
that’s an underboost code. Are you sure the map is seated properly? How do the vacuum lines and charge pipes look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that’s an underboost code. Are you sure the map is seated properly? How do the vacuum lines and charge pipes look?
Hi! Sorry took so long to get back on this. I dropped the car off a few days ago at the Hyundai dealer, they couldn’t figure out the problem originally but the thought it was the boost pressure sensor, when going to change that out they say they opened the turbo itself and almost 2 quarts of oil came out, they are now telling me the turbo needs to be replaced at a cost of $5400! Does this sound realistic? I’m not very knowledgeable on these little cars? I’ve always been a muscle car guy but my wife loves this car.
To add, this is a 2013 turbo automatic with 57,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The cost is outrageous but due to dealer pricing may be the best they can do. You might be able to get a cheaper OEM assembly from one of the parts sites and have an independent shop install it, which would save you a bunch off that price (the amount would depend on hourly rates for your independent shop). You can DEFINITELY get a cheaper aftermarket, upgraded turbo assembly from one of the aftermarket sites like KDMTuners or SoCal. If you gave THEM 5 grand you could probably get a turbo capable of 500whp installed. A small stuffed turbo upgrade from them should run <$1500.

For reference, my 2013 VT @ 69k also had a mystery underboost code that was impossible to diagnose until we replaced the entire turbo assembly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was quoted $2200 in August 2020 for a new turbocharger, with $1700 due up front. When I hesitated, they said it would be covered by warranty. A month later, it still wasn't working right. They said They need $700 for an "intercooler duct", which would not be covered.

I took it to another dealer who said it needed a new turbocharger, covered by warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was quoted $2200 in August 2020 for a new turbocharger, with $1700 due up front. When I hesitated, they said it would be covered by warranty. A month later, it still wasn't working right. They said They need $700 for an "intercooler duct", which would not be covered.

I took it to another dealer who said it needed a new turbocharger, covered by warranty.
We are unfortunately the 2nd owner so they said nothing is covered anymore. I couldn’t justify the $5400 on a car I paid $12k for so I had it towed home, me and a buddy gonna start tearing it apart and see if we can do it ourselves. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was my understanding that 2nd owner got a warranty that went up to the 60,000 mile mark. From what you said, it sounds like the turbo isn't included with that?

We are unfortunately the 2nd owner so they said nothing is covered anymore. I couldn’t justify the $5400 on a car I paid $12k for so I had it towed home, me and a buddy gonna start tearing it apart and see if we can do it ourselves. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was my understanding that 2nd owner got a warranty that went up to the 60,000 mile mark. From what you said, it sounds like the turbo isn't included with that?
60k miles or 5 years for the 2nd owner so that would have ended in 2018 unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts