Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was driving home, 20 degrees outside, and I was getting up to speed on a highway. My engine seemed to be struggling to get up to speed and it was extremely loud, it sounded very deep. I was going 60 barely and was unable to go faster. I had the gas pedal all the way down and it wouldn't go past 2000 rpms and I was down to 40 in half a mile. I turned off the highway and kept losing speed. A light that looked like a transmission flashed briefly. It got to the point where I could barely get to 11 if I was lucky. I smelt the transmission burning brief. I pulled over and popped the hood just to see if anything was obvious. I tried to start the engine back up and it had a extremely hard time. The lights in the car kept coming on and off for ten seconds and the engine won't turn over. Finally it started barely. It was like it didn't have enough air but the intake (CAI K&N) is fine. It drives like its in 3rd or 4th gear. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any thoughts of the cause? I had the veloster towed to the dealer and they called me and said they have no idea yet. The only thing that I could find online is something about the shift gate actuator? Lately all the electronics in my veloster is failing. Instrument cluster, radio, and now whatever this is. Should I just sell it and move on?

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Would be good to know if you have a NAV or a VT (it would be really helpful if you updated your profile)

Either case just skimming, it sounds like you were in limp mode. Don't know what caused this until we know more. Were you in snow/ice? Was TCS on or off? DCT, AT or MT?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2012 base model, 25,000 miles. DCT. No snow or ice, just unusually cold for where I live. Been colder here, but not often. TCS was on. Eco was on. Nothing was unusual or off.

·
weekend racer
7,222 Posts
bet its the trans.... record your plight, visit the dealer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As nvyseal stated, sounds like limp mode. My Santa Fe did that once, fortunately I was close to home and was able to drive it home at like 35mph. Dealer says this is typical when system has some error which isn't completely clear to computer. After sitting for the night, next day it started right up and drove fine. I got to dealer and they gave it a look over and found it to be an electrical issue.

Get to dealer to mechanic to check computer codes, only way to know for certain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Just got it back from the dealer and they were of no help. They said they have to see it to believe it basically. The tech agreed with me that it sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel but he has no idea why. The car is still struggling to turn over like it doesn't have enough fuel to fire up. The engine has some weird sounds and is vibrating oddly. I don't trust it anymore. It feels like at any moment it will lose near complete power again which is scary because most of my drive is interstate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update:
Just got it back from the dealer and they were of no help. They said they have to see it to believe it basically. The tech agreed with me that it sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel but he has no idea why. The car is still struggling to turn over like it doesn't have enough fuel to fire up. The engine has some weird sounds and is vibrating oddly. I don't trust it anymore. It feels like at any moment it will lose near complete power again which is scary because most of my drive is interstate.
Did you even figure out the issue? Mine is having the EXACT same issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts