Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a veloster a couple months ago and it’s a 2012 Hyundai Veloster non turbo automatic, and I was wondering if I could drop the transmission and motor and put the 1.6l turbo motor in it with the 6 speed manual transmission. Would it be a direct fit or would it be a hassle to do? Someone please let me know! Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
If you do it, You will be the first to do so.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motor blew that’s why I’m asking, all I wanna do is drop the motor and trans, and put the turbo motor from a veloster into my car.

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
Sound simple doesn't it?

Have you thought about also having to:
Replace the ECU
Add an Intercooler
Change the routing of the intake
Changing the exhaust
Changing the wiring harness in the engine bay?
This is just for starters.

Your car has been out for almost 8 years. Hundreds of owners have asked the same question (search our forums or google) and no one has done it because of the cost involved. By the time you are through, you could have bought a VT.

I am sorry your engine blew, but did you get a warranty? If not, you can find a salvaged 1.6 engine for cheap. I'd suggest fixing it, then selling it and buy a VT. You would still be cheaper off than trying to stuff a turbo engine in a NAV

·
weekend racer
6,496 Posts
put a non turbo engine in it... it's fairly straightfoward to remove and replace the engine/trans once the front end of the car has been removed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do it, You will be the first to do so.

Does that answer your question?
He would not be the first to do so... I know of a guy that had a nav and swapped engine and transmission(turbo). He said it was a pain in the ass... You had to find the wiring harness to ECU and just it was a hassle... I know it took him awhile... It would be cheaper to just buy a Veloster Turbo and a lot less hassle

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the Veloster family.
It's my work vehicle 350+hwy miles A day.
amsoil full synthetic at all times.
2014 Manual base 94k and going.
Any tips on how to keep it going strong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
New to the Veloster family.
It's my work vehicle 350+hwy miles A day.
amsoil full synthetic at all times.
2014 Manual base 94k and going.
Any tips on how to keep it going strong.
You're doing something right so keep it up.
Keep the oil changes, use good gasoline (100% preferred), and install a catch can to keep the intake valve stems from coming up with carbon from the pcv system.
Do a catch can search and there's a world of information about it.
Good luck and keep it maintained and replace before it breaks is always my motto. 👍😎

1 - 8 of 8 Posts