Veloster Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem that the driver side mirror lost its full range of motion. When I try to move it so that I see further away from the car, there will be a click and it will sort of jump back a little. If I keep going, it will again reach the same point and jump back. It also does the same at other limits of motion.

I has a similar problem early - a piece of internal machinery of the window came out and the mirror range of movement was affected, too (contrary to what I said when asking about it here on the forums). But then it was a warranty repair. Now only the drivetrain is under warranty, so before I pay $$$$ to a dealer to have it fixed I thought I would ask for advice, maybe there is a simple fix. Also no visible parts this time. I may have pressed on the mirror surface when removing ice from it.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
the whole assembly is something you can easily swap out on your own... have you considered that?

also i would try pushing the mirror around and using the button at the same time. maybe it's just beyond it's range.

do you have to constantly move the mirror? is it worth the cost to fix vs reaching your arm out the window?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the whole assembly is something you can easily swap out on your own... have you considered that?
Good to know, if it is easy I will definitely consider that. Just need to buy one in correct color.

also i would try pushing the mirror around and using the button at the same time. maybe it's just beyond it's range.
yeah I might try but in the meantime I noticed between the mirror itself and the housing a detached metal part, probably the same thing that detached before that warranty repair. So something did break.
do you have to constantly move the mirror? is it worth the cost to fix vs reaching your arm out the window?
No, but now the most outward position in which I can put it is not outward enough for me. It is kind of usable, but rather uncomfortable. So I'd definitely go for a fix/replacement.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
awesome. the mirror is held in by 3 screws and an electric connector located behind the triangle trim piece on the inside of the door. removal of that piece is possible as-is, but easier if you remove the door panel too.

also, if you pull it off and put it on a bench you could possibly fix the one you have.

Reactions: mdm

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I checked a couple of Hyundai part sites, which incidentally all look like clones of one site, but whatever. I can see the mirror assembly I need: left, with turn signal repeater, not heated... but they only come as "black gloss" or "painted" without color specification. Am I missing something? How do I get Vitamin C? Or should I get no color (the "black gloss" or "painted"?) and move the color cap/cover from the original mirror?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
Maybe grab one from a pick a part ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
notwithstanding that I am reluctant to use recycled parts, I checked two local pick-a-parts, and they do not seem to have that mirror in inventory (in any color), and all Velosters there are wrong color... Few people like Vitamic C, I guess... or maybe we just don't crash our cars that often. By the way all Velosters on local pick a part sites that had pictures also had driver side mirrors damaged. I guess I'll try to figure it out through those new part shops.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
2016 isn’t heated ? My 2014 base turbo is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm. Maybe it is, stupid me but I never noticed the heat working. Maybe next time I'll turn the rear defroster on and touch the mirror if it gets any warm. Either way, most of these part sellers do not ask heated or not, so probably if I choose fit for 2016 turbo it will be what it should be. And I cannot find that one site that did ask heated or not. Still does not solve why the only two options are "painted" (87610-2V510) and black gloss (87610-2V530), no way to specify the color.

Also, looking at the drawings I just noticed that they do not show the small blind zone mirror which my vehicle has, so maybe I am looking at a wrong item altogether. I'll keep digging, hopefully I'll figure it out somehow.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
That was a 2014+ Standard item I believe.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
Confirm this morning that my mirrors are definitely heated. I am watching the icemelt off of them right now lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, why I never realized. I guess I do not get that much of snow and even when I do, I do not use the rear defroster that much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had this problem that the driver side mirror lost its full range of motion. When I try to move it so that I see further away from the car, there will be a click and it will sort of jump back a little. If I keep going, it will again reach the same point and jump back. It also does the same at other limits of motion.

I has a similar problem early - a piece of internal machinery of the window came out and the mirror range of movement was affected, too (contrary to what I said when asking about it here on the forums). But then it was a warranty repair. Now only the drivetrain is under warranty, so before I pay $$$$ to a dealer to have it fixed I thought I would ask for advice, maybe there is a simple fix. Also no visible parts this time. I may have pressed on the mirror surface when removing ice from it.
If

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go online and enter your vin number and everything about your car will show up and also re-calls and what recalls have done already , good luck !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts