Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to override the reverse lockout on the manual trans. shifter? I haven't bought a Veloster yet but I think I'd be really annoyed if I had to deal with that every time I drive it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is a non existent problem you are trying to solve.
Reverse lockout is never felt if you're driving, if you do feel it it's because you are making a dumb mistake.

I tried just this week to accidentally throw it in reverse from 2nd (facepalm) and it wouldn't let me.
Be glad it is there.
In spirited driving even you will never notice it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Because I've been driving a manual trans. car for 25 years and it will annoy me.
I've been driving a manual trans for 31 years and it's just something to get used to. No issues.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Because I've been driving a manual trans. car for 25 years and it will annoy me.
I've been driving a manual trans for 31 years and it's just something to get used to. No issues.
And there you have the difference between someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual and someone that does.

Like was said before, the reverse lockout is not an issue if you know how to row gears properly.

The GM "Skip Shift" that forces you to go from 1st to 4th is WAY more annoying.

·
weekend racer
6,462 Posts
this is the perfect example of the mindset of two people on different sides of the spectrum :)

i honestly never thought of the lockout being a problem. safer than sorry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Couldn't agree more, but then again there are people who like to have abs delete on a daily driver.

But while we are on the subject I have read about a mod to delete the lockout once.
Have to dig deep on the veloster forums tho

·
weekend racer
6,462 Posts
i deleted the ABS from my kia rio, lol.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have no idea what the big deal would be, besides it's a matter of taking the shifter apart and removing a piece of plastic, god only knows how much that might annoy someone.

·
weekend racer
6,462 Posts
i could be wrong but isn't the lockout usually in the trans?

·
Registered
617 Posts
i could be wrong but isn't the lockout usually in the trans?

Its a piece of plastic connected to the skirt on the shifter, when you pull up on it it clears the stop and allows further travel toward the driver, couldn't get any more basic, here's a picture i took when i swapped to the newer shifter a few years back.

·
weekend racer
6,462 Posts
oh, that?

i thought we were talking about the mechanism in the trans that stops you from going into reverse at speed... then again i have never tested that theory. i do know i could not put my mitsubishi into reverse over a few mph.

·
Registered
155 Posts
oh, that?

i thought we were talking about the mechanism in the trans that stops you from going into reverse at speed... then again i have never tested that theory. i do know i could not put my mitsubishi into reverse over a few mph.
Thought that first too, but yes it works.. I tried by accident lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
oh, that?

I just assumed that's what the big problem was, i have no idea if someone wants to throw it in reverse while moving forward or not... Or why ...i Assume the lockout is there to prevent that exact problem but what do i know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a way to override the reverse lockout on the manual trans. shifter? I haven't bought a Veloster yet but I think I'd be really annoyed if I had to deal with that every time I drive it.
It shouldn't bother you, its really quick snd easy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ironically I did override my reverse lockout so that I could use a shift knob that I liked but after driving it for a couple of weeks like that reverted to modifying the factory boot assembly setup, still keeping my new shift knob and modified boot retainer, and still have the capabilities of switching to any shift knob on the market.

The earlier shift knobs in the velosters (2013-2011) are similar to the RBAccent so there's not much you can do unless you swap out the entire assembly.

Slight modification to the shift boot assembly, an aftermarket modified shift boot retainer, a spring, and pretty much any shift knob you like that fits the threading and you can still have reverse lockout.

See the before and after. 😉

19C76A9B-2DC1-43BA-8988-963257CB8DDC.jpeg

After modification.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My aftermarket shify knob. Allowed me to keep the reverse lockout intact, easy 20 minute job. My only concern now is if I ever take it to a garage they'll never figure out where reverse is and end up slipping my clutch in 6th lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
brrypyn
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing