Veloster Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having a boost issue. Only holding about 10lbs psi (CEL for P0299). Was pretty sure it was the BPV diaphragm (been over the car a lot). So I checked for boost leaks at all fittings, pulled the factory intercooler, bpv inspection ect. No leads. Everything checked out.

Under the car, I could see the actuator arm open on a rev, but I believe this way just overriding the wastegate spring. I replaced the Mac wastegate solinoid (EBCS) with the factory and my problem was resolved.

The solinoid with click when checked with a 12v power and the piston moves. The solinoid had plastic barb fittings (nipples) and I suspect the threading to be the issue. Going to try to replace with brass barbs and see if that resolves the issue.

Anyone else have this issue with the Mac solinoid? Only about 3k miles on mine.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
ouch!! you think it may have not been sealing properly, or crossthreaded?

the mac valve i received from kdmtuners for the bov also had plastic barbs on it. i haven't re-replaced the wastegate one. i have replaced the stock bov solenoid twice now so it was time for an upgrade.

makes me think i should have gone pierburg atleast that one fits in the stock bracket. but its almost twice the price :)

Reactions: misnblu and Rio-t

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ouch!! you think it may have not been sealing properly, or crossthreaded?

the mac valve i received from kdmtuners for the bov also had plastic barbs on it. i haven't re-replaced the wastegate one. i have replaced the stock bov solenoid twice now so it was time for an upgrade.

makes me think i should have gone pierburg atleast that one fits in the stock bracket. but its almost twice the price :)
The Mac valve will fit the stock rubber bracket at the wastegate. Just needs a little sweet talk. I switched back to oem for troubleshooting and used the same rubber.

The plastic barbs was very soft and flexible when I removed it. My theory is, the heat by the turbo weakened the barbs. I will try some brass ones asap and update this thread.

I also have a mac solinoid for the bpv and it is still working fine. It is much cooler there tho. If the brass fittings solve my issue at the wastegate, I will go ahead and change the barbs at the bpv. It is raining here now, so I can't do it today.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
indeed - the first wastegate valve i replaced had cracks in the casing, lol

Reactions: Rio-t

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update, I had to order the brass barbs from amazon, I couldn't find them locally anywhere (including Lowe's). I had originally ordered 1/8 x 1/8 and the nipple was too small. I have ordered 1/8x1/4 nipple and will update when they arrive Monday.

Monday my sxth one piece 2.25" hot pipe will arrive and I will post a review on that. Trying to smooth out the power delivery on this power plant and from what I have gathered it is all in air flow, and solenoids. My next mod will be down pipe mod (maybe the free version lol) and a bov. Going to see how happy I can get without a tune. Always looking for input!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
Love the free downpipe mod :)

Reactions: Rio-t

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, an update: Even with brass fittings, and thread tape, it still dose not work. So I again swapped to stock. I think the issue with the MAC is the open port dose not have enough restriction. But I honestly don't know.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
that stinks.... im unsure as well. may be worthwhile talking to both vendors on this one, or posting on the turbo forum where trdtoy can see.

Reactions: misnblu and Rio-t

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
825 Posts
that stinks.... im unsure as well. may be worthwhile talking to both vendors on this one, or posting on the turbo forum where trdtoy can see.
What he said.
TrdTroy is a blessing to the KDM community.
On topic I was concerned as to which I should go with, the Mac valve which seems to be the go to valve or the Pierburg.
Since the majority of the turbo guys are using the Mac with usually no issues I was set to go with it as well. BUT now that I'm hearing of this issue it has me on the fence again to go with the Pierburg as their quality seems to be a better option. 🤷🏼‍♂️

So I'm now subscribed to this thread in hopes of a resolution to the problem we are seeing here.
Good luck @Rio-t . 👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What he said.
TrdTroy is a blessing to the KDM community.
On topic I was concerned as to which I should go with, the Mac valve which seems to be the go to valve or the Pierburg.
Since the majority of the turbo guys are using the Mac with usually no issues I was set to go with it as well. BUT now that I'm hearing of this issue it has me on the fence again to go with the Pierburg as their quality seems to be a better option. 🤷🏼‍♂️

So I'm now subscribed to this thread in hopes of a resolution to the problem we are seeing here.
Good luck @Rio-t . 👍
The oem valve has 3 ports (just like the bpv valve), but the third has a restrictor cap. If I can find a cap I will give it a go. And update this thread at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Mac valve will fit the stock rubber bracket at the wastegate. Just needs a little sweet talk. I switched back to oem for troubleshooting and used the same rubber.

The plastic barbs was very soft and flexible when I removed it. My theory is, the heat by the turbo weakened the barbs. I will try some brass ones asap and update this thread.

I also have a mac solinoid for the bpv and it is still working fine. It is much cooler there tho. If the brass fittings solve my issue at the wastegate, I will go ahead and change the barbs at the bpv. It is raining here now, so I can't do it today.
Which ports on the MAC valve should I be using for the wastegate? I ordered a universal one off Amazon that needs to be spliced in to the wiring and it came with no instructions on which ports to use. Any help from someone who has successfully ran a MAC wastegate solenoid would be 👍 👌 👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which ports on the MAC valve should I be using for the wastegate? I ordered a universal one off Amazon that needs to be spliced in to the wiring and it came with no instructions on which ports to use. Any help from someone who has successfully ran a MAC wastegate solenoid would be 👍 👌 👍
Post a picture of the solinoid and a close up of the diagram. 12&3 are not laid out the same on every one

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Every diagram I've looked up showed #2 to wastegate and #3 to compresser. What is the explanation for your answer?
Might be. The compressor pulls air to open the wastegate. Monitor the boost pressure after install. Easy to swap them after install

·
Registered
1 Posts
The oem valve has 3 ports (just like the bpv valve), but the third has a restrictor cap. If I can find a cap I will give it a go. And update this thread at that time.
What is the purpose of the restrictor cap on the OEM? I have been running into my car being thrown into Limp Mode when under hard acceleration. I had a stored P0234 Code (Overboost) after. Could it be a bad Boost Solenoid?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the purpose of the restrictor cap on the OEM? I have been running into my car being thrown into Limp Mode when under hard acceleration. I had a stored P0234 Code (Overboost) after. Could it be a bad Boost Solenoid?
could be a list of things, like a stuck bpv or wg solenoid. Or a stuck wastegate. Would need to be diagnosed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts