Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my low beams stopped working. It seems the bulbs are fine as is every fuse I've pulled. There's 12v going through the connector but when I plug in a bulb this seems to die off.

I'm pretty stuck. What started off being a presumed fuse/relay has turned into an unfixable problem.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

· Registered
625 Posts
Veloster Turbo 2012. I'm in the UK and assume it's the original battery. High beams work fine.

This kind of thing turns anyone off from helping, it stands to reason if the car otherwise works and the high beams work it's not the battery, if something this obvious eludes you you might just have them turned off or they are burnt out.

· Registered
4,546 Posts
Veloster Turbo 2012. I'm in the UK and assume it's the original battery. High beams work fine.
It's hard to imagine you're still on the original battery, but if you are, have it checked and get ready to replace. As for the headlights. It could be a dimmer switch problem or a connection issue. If you can't isolate it, you'll need to do what most of us do and take it in for diagnosis.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are neither turned off nor are the bulbs blown. I haven't come here to ask silly questions. I have checked continuity over all the bulbs I've tried. The port also read 12v before I put a bulb in.

What could possibly be wrong with the battery? The car starts and everything else works fine.

I was hoping for some help from people who know these cars intimately. At least not to be taken for a moron.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This kind of thing turns anyone off from helping, it stands to reason if the car otherwise works and the high beams work it's not the battery, if something this obvious eludes you you might just have them turned off or they are burnt out.
It wasn't eveb me who suggested it was the battery in the first place.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's hard to imagine you're still on the original battery, but if you are, have it checked and get ready to replace. As for the headlights. It could be a dimmer switch problem or a connection issue. If you can't isolate it, you'll need to do what most of us do and take it in for diagnosis.
Where's the dimmer switch?
The whole point of me asking is to avoid taking it in.

Its probably a connection issue somewhere but any suggestions given the symptoms??

· Registered
1,300 Posts
The "high beam" "low beam" switch is on the steering column and operated with the turn signal lever.

You should check to be sure you have the head light system "out" of automatic "off" and in manual mode.

The electric eye on the top of the dashboard needs to be clear and unobstructed.

There are fuses other than just the headlight fuse than can cause the headlight not to illuminate, such as the ignition fuse.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "high beam" "low beam" switch is on the steering column and operated with the turn signal lever.

You should check to be sure you have the head light system "out" of automatic "off" and in manual mode.

The electric eye on the top of the dashboard needs to be clear and unobstructed.

There are fuses other than just the headlight fuse than can cause the headlight not to illuminate, such as the ignition fuse.

OK. I'm completely familiar with the switches. It's either on or off, not a dimmer though. It doesn't work whatever position it's in.

So can you direct me to the ignition fuse?

The car starts so surely it can't be this.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

· Registered
625 Posts
Reactions: jkt1954

· Registered
67 Posts
I had an issue on my 2013 base where the low beams would flicker intermittently. Come to find out there was some sort of material buildup (oxidization?) in the middle of the filaments. One finally blew out, so I went ahead and replaced both. Have you tried changing/replacing the bulbs (making sure not to tough the glass part of course)?

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes he did. Read the comments above.

I had an issue on my 2013 base where the low beams would flicker intermittently. Come to find out there was some sort of material buildup (oxidization?) in the middle of the filaments. One finally blew out, so I went ahead and replaced both. Have you tried changing/replacing the bulbs (making sure not to tough the glass part of course)?

· Registered
3 Posts
So my low beams stopped working. It seems the bulbs are fine as is every fuse I've pulled. There's 12v going through the connector but when I plug in a bulb this seems to die off.

I'm pretty stuck. What started off being a presumed fuse/relay has turned into an unfixable problem.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Did you ever solve this? I am experiencing this issue.

· Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Tom
I know this is an old post but what was the problem? my head lights just stopped working and can't figure out why.

· Registered
2012 Hyundai Veloster Base model
3 Posts
Same here on my 2012 base my mechanic said the connection was corroded where the bulb plugs in the cleaned it up as best he could and it worked for about a year now it is out again. The absolutely worst thing is you can't replace that part alone Hyundai only sells it as a whole wiring assembly for $1500.00 yes fifteen hundred! Makes you want to steal a new car and take the whole headlight assembly!! ( Just kidding) that was the frustrations idea lol. If I could get the socket in a junk yard I would cut it out and solder and shrink wrap it in place. But I can't find one!!

· Registered
8 Posts
Same here on my 2012 base my mechanic said the connection was corroded where the bulb plugs in the cleaned it up as best he could and it worked for about a year now it is out again. The absolutely worst thing is you can't replace that part alone Hyundai only sells it as a whole wiring assembly for $1500.00 yes fifteen hundred! Makes you want to steal a new car and take the whole headlight assembly!! ( Just kidding) that was the frustrations idea lol. If I could get the socket in a junk yard I would cut it out and solder and shrink wrap it in place. But I can't find one!!
That sucks, but I'm sure you can find one. I made a discussion about my headlight (low beams) because am still trying to figure it out. Doing everything I can but the last option for me is to take it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts