Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side low beam headlight went out so I went to replace it. When I took the bulb out and pulled it off the socket it looks like the headlight socket has melted.

Now i I searched and it looked like Auto Zone and some of the other parts stores have a replacement part where I would have to cut the wires to the present socket and then spliced the new one one to those wires.

Will this part work work and also has anyone ever had this happen. I have owned this Veloster since it rolled of the dealers truck and it now has 96,000.

Part. https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/headlight-socket/dorman-headlight-socket/88097_823757_0_36436

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bought the piece up above but this definitely doesn't hold in the hole by itself like the old one does. So not sure what's next

. Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 7.13.41 PM.png

·
weekend racer
7,759 Posts
what do you mean by hold in the hole? the housing? missing a clip?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do you mean by hold in the hole? the housing? missing a clip?
The black socket the V came with seems to hold the light bulb in the hole with its tabs BUT the replacement I bought doesn’t have the same tabs so it doesn’t lock into the ring to hold the bulb in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've battled the melting socket for years, starting when I have 45,000 miles. Now I'm over 100,000 miles and the dealer wants $600 to replace the headlight assembly. I ended up carving out the center of the socket to retain the overall outer diameter shape for locking the bulb in place but simply bypassed the connectors housed within the socket and connected instead directly to the bulb. This fix cost me $28 dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My driver side low beam headlight went out so I went to replace it. When I took the bulb out and pulled it off the socket it looks like the headlight socket has melted.

Now i I searched and it looked like Auto Zone and some of the other parts stores have a replacement part where I would have to cut the wires to the present socket and then spliced the new one one to those wires.

Will this part work work and also has anyone ever had this happen. I have owned this Veloster since it rolled of the dealers truck and it now has 96,000.

Part. https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/headlight-socket/dorman-headlight-socket/88097_823757_0_36436

I have a 2012 Veloster and have the exact same problem on my drivers side headlight. I've been ignoring it for years, but once again the headlight has gone out (this is annual event with this car) and I was wondering if you had a fix and any detailed information on the repair.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Step one: buy replacement socket

Step two: cut old socket off

Step three: solder in new socket to existing wires and put heat shrink wrap over them

Step four is optional: check your headlight wiring voltage and wattage to see if you're over somehow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scoured Google, called Hyundai - no such socket seems to exist. (H7 for lo and high, non-projecter, 2012 non-turbo Veloster - stock with no modifications. This is how the factory engineered it). So, here I have a socket that has melted, and I cannot buy a socket or even a wiring harness from the dealer. Does anyone know a part number? Some other way to fix that doesn't require fabrication?
veloster headlight1.jpg veloster headlight2.jpg veloster headlight2.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai Veloster Headlight 2012

IMG_4017.jpg image1.jpg IMG_4020.jpg
2012 Hyundai Veloster Base
I have the same problem. None of the universal parts work, since the fitting it so unique. The dealership doesn't sell the pig tale, only the whole wire harness (for $4,600 ROFL). My idea was to get this part https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Sockets-Retainer-Veloster-Installation/dp/B07GF5QPJ6 (used for upgrading to HID bulbs) and the generic part below. I think I can rig them together. Anyone have a better idea, or been able to track down the actual part?!
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 123642 View attachment 123644 View attachment 123646
2012 Hyundai Veloster Base
I have the same problem. None of the universal parts work, since the fitting it so unique. The dealership doesn't sell the pig tale, only the whole wire harness (for $4,600 ROFL). My idea was to get this part https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Sockets-Retainer-Veloster-Installation/dp/B07GF5QPJ6 (used for upgrading to HID bulbs) and the generic part below. I think I can rig them together. Anyone have a better idea, or been able to track down the actual part?!
View attachment 123648
cut the same connector off a car at pick-n-pull - wish I could tell you if there were other hyundai's that use the same connector - and solder it on. You could use crimp connectors, but they seem to be less reliable. You could also try car-part.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've battled the melting socket for years, starting when I have 45,000 miles. Now I'm over 100,000 miles and the dealer wants $600 to replace the headlight assembly. I ended up carving out the center of the socket to retain the overall outer diameter shape for locking the bulb in place but simply bypassed the connectors housed within the socket and connected instead directly to the bulb. This fix cost me $28 dollars.
Hi Betz,
My son has had the same problem with the socket melting on his veloster. Could you tell me how you went about fixing the problem. Dealer wants to charge over $700. Not happening!! How ever not the best with cars. Could you walk me through what you did? Thank you,
Heather

1 - 20 of 28 Posts