Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had my Veloster for around a month now and the one thing that bothers me about it is how I can feel every little bump driving. I'm hoping to get a few pointers on how to make it ride a bit smoother. It currently has the Sumitomos pictured below, which I feel is the main reason. My previous car had some beefy tires and these are definitely the thinnest tires I've had on a car.

Discount Tires suggested switching to size 225/45/17 in either Michellin or Continentals. But either will run me around 700 bucks. So before I do something drastic I'm coming to the Veloster experts here.... will that really help much? Or maybe I should try something different? Any advice is appreciated.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts
225/45/17 is what i run on my turbo. same wheels too! i love them!

·
Registered
16 VT
586 Posts
I am debating this, too, but recommend stock size, better tires. 16s would help, too. But without new wheels, you could go to a 205/50. Its a common size, they are cheaper and I think you will save some fuel over the 225. good luck and keep in mind...

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
41 Posts
Tell us a little more about your vehicle...stock suspension? Mileage? Are you using the sport mode?

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@RPW00Mirage
Good to know, I guess they suggested the size for a reason. You happen to have some pics posted somewhere? I'm curious how much it changes the look.

@SVTfocus03
Wouldn't 205/50 be an overall tire size? I feel that would have the opposite effect, unless brand of tire does a whole lot more than I think. I dont know too much about tires so I dont actually know though.

@SUSPECT_VT
Oh right, it's all stock, 65k miles, and I usually drive eco on my 40 mile commute to and from work, which is when I notice it the most and where I'd really like to have the smoother ride to make my daily commute more pleasant.
I use the sport mode when driving short distances for more fun and it doesn't bother me much at that point since things are gonna be bumpier regardless.

·
Registered
280 Posts
225/45/17 or 205/50/17 is going to give you the same O.D. of about 25.1"/25.0". Both with 4" sidewalls. The 215/45/17 you have on now have a marginally different O.D. and sidewall, 24.6"/3.8". That much sidewall difference is slight. I doubt you'd feel it if the tires were equal. But all tires are not created equal.

If you want a better ride, my suggestion would be to go with a different tire in the correct size (225/45/17) that way you get your .2" of sidewall back. My suggestion for a tire is something like the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. This tire is made specifically for softer rides. They do this with a different sidewall construction. You'll give up handling/performance, but that's the tradeoff. My BMW E46 came with these tires on it and I can confirm they were comfortable. I gave them to my brother for his E46 and put sportier Falkens on ours and the ride went to poo.

You could go to a 16" wheel and find a tire that has the same O.D. and you'd have approximately 4.5" sidewalls. That will certainly help the ride but IMHO look horrible. Like you're driving a Ford Taurus. Ugh. That's my opinion only. Others here disagree.

·
Registered
627 Posts
16’s will fit. Depending on the wheel, they don’t look too bad.

These 16’s are from a Hyundai Azera around 2010. I use them for my snow tires.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts

Reactions: SVTfocusO3
1 - 8 of 8 Posts